Graphics Cards related queries here.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

I fear that, by the time I start earnin', will there be games like it is now? I love keyboard + mouse thingy. Will there any revolutionary changes in 'bout 10 years?

No worries..man, by then there will be kick ass game.

I am from the era of Space Invaders, Samurai, NES, Atari...Contra, Mario, Kung Fu. I still remember installing DOOM using like 7-8 3.5" floppies, and now when I see games..gosh...........!

There will be great games buddy. See how Far Cry changed the world for us. :) Worry for one thing..by the time you start to earn..will you get time to game...!

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!

^Yeah, that's one type of a worry. But what 'bout the hardwares? There'll be no brain-controlled games or somethin', right? I worry that, as I said before, I love kbd. + mouse gamin'. Some Mistry guy found out Sixth Sense & I don't like to control games or anythin' in air. I need hardware like it is now.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

hey guys
i m buying a new imac 21.5 inch
you can have a look at it in the following link
*www.apple.com/in/imac/
now in here i m getting two graphic card options NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3 and
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
which one shold i go for ????

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

hey guys
i m buying a new imac 21.5 inch
you can have a look at it in the following link
*www.apple.com/in/imac/
now in here i m getting two graphic card options NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3 and
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
which one shold i go for ????

HD4670 is far powerful than 9400GT.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

Man, how could you miss the main thing. You card does not support Dx11...?? So you will see jack difference..!!!! Unless those screen shots were not rendered on your system..?

Regarding Tessellation, it will not eat too much FPS, cause the 5xxx cards have the engine built in. It can process it side-by-side to the rest of the stuff...!

Man your card is fine, for your resolution. As said before, do not take Crysis/Warhead as the benchmark. Study man, it will pay off later. Then you can use or your disposable income on hardware --- like I do...! :)

Many game developer says that upcoming DX 11 games takes more juice from GPU [ so 10% less fps than Dx 10] , Although DX 11 supporting may or may not be launching in 2010 , Fall 2010 will be the 1st DX 11 games arrival - There will not be huge difference like Dx 9 & DX 10 (regardless DX 10 is almost same as DX 11) pictures surely identifies some naked difference - But while gaming we wont see much difference .

Gosh Crysis 2 is DX 10 or DX 11 ???:x

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

Hey..whats the use of shader clock???

@NVIDIAGeek: the 5XXX is a DX11 card & once DX11 games comes all the DX10 or 10.1 Gcards will suffer the huge fps drop.....:)):)) in DX11 games.....

So, guys in 2010 buy DX11 cards...& say bye-bye 2 DX10.1 cards...

I think BattleForge is a DX11 game...:-D

& the so & so game optimized for nvidia/ati chip is 100% true...guys dont take dat word
for granted.....
coz FarCry 2....Dunia Engine is optimized for nvidia so those cards have upper hand in this game....when compared to ATI cards....u will see a fps/performance difference....

similarly Battle Forge is optimized for ATI cards...:twisted:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!

Guys do some proper research before buying/getting a replacement, especially in Kolkata. I am giving a basic information so that the regular advisers in this forum can carry forward the information when people meet any problems.
When the dealer/distributor says you will get a new card rather than getting the card repaired, emphasize the following points.
# If you're getting a new card, will you have to pay a small amount? If you're paying a small amount, they will give you a bill with the date of when you are receiving the card and the replacement product's serial code, even if they call it "processing fee". If you're not paying anything, they will mention the date of your original purchase, but with the serial code of the replaced unit. In both the cases, open the card infront of the dealers (unfortunatly, if its a sealed pack, you can open it after making the payment) and see if the serial code on the product and box is the same.

Do note that all thanks to multiple rebadge/multiple models in an nvidia card model itself, certain "models" and packaging don't say visibly whether its a green edition or standard/overclocked edition, thereby confusing the newbies and even regular buyers. For instace, a packaging of xfx 9800gt model PV-T98G-YMF3. They have 2 types of packaging of its specific model circulating world wide- one which says green edition and one which does not. The packaging which does not emphasize that its a green edition, you need to be careful. A lot of sellers are selling green edition cards because now cards are being bundled with packages with no indication at all.

Therefore for any hardware, irrespective the brand's reputation/hype, make efforts to mention the specific model number. Even if you see rams like corsair xms2 and coolermaster extreme/extreme plus/silent/pro whatever, there are many models in the series itself which is not emphasized clearly-for examply corsair vx450 or true120e rev c, etc. I am sorry I can't give my attention to this forum as I am handling another forum, but I am sure we all regular advisers can exchange information out of mutual benefit, irrespective of which forums we stick to. At the end of day, its going to help the consumers and us, therefore purging and decreasing any chance of corruption/fraud/exploiting loopholes. Spread the word.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Many game developer says that upcoming DX 11 games takes more juice from GPU [ so 10% less fps than Dx 10] , Although DX 11 supporting may or may not be launching in 2010 , Fall 2010 will be the 1st DX 11 games arrival - There will not be huge difference like Dx 9 & DX 10 (regardless DX 10 is almost same as DX 11) pictures surely identifies some naked difference - But while gaming we wont see much difference .

Gosh Crysis 2 is DX 10 or DX 11 ???:x

It has a different shader model, and for sure offers Tesselation. Again FPS loss will be relative to the situation. If the card is powerful enough, and utilizes the Dx11 codepath, there should not be a FPS loss. There is a difference between Dx9 and Dx11 regarding image for sure.

Crysis does not use Dx11.

@NVIDIAGeek: the 5XXX is a DX11 card & once DX11 games comes all the DX10 or 10.1 Gcards will suffer the huge fps drop.....:)):)) in DX11 games.....

& the so & so game optimized for nvidia/ati chip is 100% true...guys dont take dat word
for granted.....
coz FarCry 2....Dunia Engine is optimized for nvidia so those cards have upper hand in this game....when compared to ATI cards....u will see a fps/performance difference....

In the field of computer graphics, a shader is a set of software instructions, which is used primarily to calculate rendering effects on graphics hardware with a high degree of flexibility. Shaders are used to program the graphics processing unit (GPU) programmable rendering pipeline, which has mostly superseded the fixed-function pipeline that allowed only common geometry transformation and pixel shading functions; with shaders, customized effects can be used.

You cannot generalize it that easily man. Once a new codepath is released thus the previous generation of cards will not be able to render. See this forum, how many users have Dx10.1/11 cards. Most are making do with Dx9. It takes a while for technology of hardware and software(games) to be exactly on the same path.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!

^When DX11 becomes mainstream and greatly optimized games come, there will be HD6xxx and GT3xx. So, if I buy HD5850 now, it'll be thrown away by HD6850 just like HD4850 did to HD3850. I'd better wait. GF9800GTX+ will do it's part till Crysis 2 comes.

Last edited:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

for granted.....

Ati & nvidia use different architectures for the graphics card

the radeon hd5870 has 1600 stream processors/shaders running at 850 mhz same as the chip/engine which runs at 850 mhz
geforce gtx285 has 240 stream processors/shaders running at 1476 mhz & its chip/engine runs at 648 mhz

ati stream processors cannot run at different frequency compared to the chip
because they are designed in that way

homo_sapien

Right off the assembly line

i want to buy a ~4000 graphic card i have got biostar 945gz mobo with 1 pci x16 1.0a slot and 450w psu. i found following choices reasonable

9500 gt , 128 bit, 512 mb ddr3
hd 4650 and 4670
can u tell which one to choose from 9500 and 4650 (i know 4670 beats them all)
also is 4650 available in ddr3?
i there 512 mb version available of all as vendor insists on buying 1 gb version but tom's hardware says its no good
also which brand to prefer
vendor told some unknown vtx or something as bieng the cheapest.
any other stuff i should mind. are there any good shops in wazirpur delhi?

also i forgot i have a d -sub lcd monitor(samsung) should it play any role in my choice are there dvi to d sub converter available? also how much they will cost like

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

A 9600GT for 4.5k should be much better option.

inside 4k, if you get HD4650, go for it.

homo_sapien

9600 for 4.5k!! dont know but all the tech magazines and websites like e bay put it around 5000

DarkDante

Journeyman

i'm confused now...shud i get a 5850 and be done wit it, or shud i get a 9800gtx+ and weather the storm i.e. wait for 6xxx or 3xx?
pls help:chinscratch::-?:-?:chinscratch:

homo_sapien

if i go for zotac 9500 gt shoulg i buy basic card or factory overclocked one(9500 gt amp) which is considerably costlier. i mean i can invest that money in buying some other equipments.
and is hd 4650 available in ddr3 ram? if yes ,cost?
are there any good dealers in wazirpur delhi? as nehru place is just too far

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

if i go for zotac 9500 gt shoulg i buy basic card or factory overclocked one(9500 gt amp) which is considerably costlier. i mean i can invest that money in buying some other equipments.

U can ask ASIGH for delhi dealers

BTW y u r opting for 9500GT or 4650 - both cards are very basic cards ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

No need to buy that factory OCed amp edition ! Just get the plain 9500GT and make sure it has 512MB of GDDR3 mem though :p

homo_sapien

U can ask ASIGH for delhi dealers

BTW y u r opting for 9500GT or 4650 - both cards are very basic cards ??

actually i just want my older pc to survive an year or bit more with most popular games in mid or low settings. then i'll build a better performing pc with better processor and graphic power. hence these basic cards

my heart is with 4670 as i dont even have to replace my power supply for it
but the dealers i contacted quote the price around 4800 rs which is no where near what is quoted on the forum.

Top Bottom