Graphics Cards related queries here.

r4gs

In the zone
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

i don't have easy access to a comp so you really won't get replies quickly. Sorry.
the HD4870 is by sapphire. it is available at lamington road, mumbai. the quotations i got varied from 10k all the way upto 18k.
I'm getting an e7400, g43 mobo, 4gb ram, 600w psu, 500gb hdd, dvdrw, hd4870 for around 25-26k.
For more detailed reviews check out hardwarecanucks.com. By their tests, the HD4870 512mb gave some 57+fps in cod:world at war and around 25 fps in crysis warhead at max settings (1920x1200 2xaa), which is quite excellent at the price. Especially as this is a mid range card.
he HD4870 has 512mb but bear in mind that it is running gddr5 memory at 3.6ghz and a totally different architecture from nvidia's cards. hat is why it is giving such performance at such a low price.

r4gs

In the zone

At 11k, the gtx 260 is more expensive and more power hungry than the 4870. The performance difference between the 2 is actually quite negligible with each performing better in some areas. I don't think the 260 can be recommended outright over the 4870. Its more a question of personal choice. As far as i've seen, the performance difference is only a few fps. One issue to note with the ati cards is that they seem to have some driver issues right now and only beta drivers are giving consistent performance. I chose the 4870 over the 260 because it was cheaper and had directx10.1 support. Value for money wise, it seems to be the best deal. Especially if you're buying the card for long term use. Already games like H.A.W.X. are out with dx10.1 support.

tkin

Back to school!!

At 11k, the gtx 260 is more expensive and more power hungry than the 4870. The performance difference between the 2 is actually quite negligible with each performing better in some areas. I don't think the 260 can be recommended outright over the 4870. Its more a question of personal choice. As far as i've seen, the performance difference is only a few fps. One issue to note with the ati cards is that they seem to have some driver issues right now and only beta drivers are giving consistent performance. I chose the 4870 over the 260 because it was cheaper and had directx10.1 support. Value for money wise, it seems to be the best deal. Especially if you're buying the card for long term use. Already games like H.A.W.X. are out with dx10.1 support.
DX 10.1 is useless, DX 11 will be the next stable platform, then DX 10.1 will be obsolete, only thing DX 10.1 gives over DX 10 is performance increase as DX 10.1 codepath is more optimized that DX 10.

GTX 260 has its own unique feature as well, PhysX(CUDA) and in terms of longevity it's more usefull than DX 10.1, its actually used on many games, even Xbox360/PS3 games, its used on more games than DX 10.1, and the way nVidia is marketing this tech means it will go a long way.

And GTX 260 outright beats HD4870 in all most every game, search for reviews and its all over the web, even the HD4870 1GB is not good enough to close the gap.

Heres a comparison between HD4870 and GTX260
*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_gtx260/

Heres one that puts a HD4870 1GB vs GTX260
*techgage.com/article/ati_hd_4870_1gb_vs_nvidia_gtx_260216_896mb/1

In both GTX260 is the clear winner. And GTX260(palit) 11k, whereas as HD4870 is 12.5k(in kolkata).

Krow

Crowman

But, at 11K you can get the GTX 260 and it beats HD4870 eyes closed in all most all games. So GTX250 is not worth the money, but GTX260 is.

Agreed. It was even more when the Zotac one was priced @ 10.5k!:p

r4gs

In the zone

tkin
Exactly my point. 10.1 is better than 10 and for long term use, will geve better performance than the 260. Ati has its own implementaion of a physics engine(havok i think).
Also, till direct x11 is out, 10.1 is the latest and is better than 10.

I would also like to point out that both tests were conducted using catalyst 8.11 drivers, whereas i've mentioned that the cards give consistent performance with the beta drivers.(i think catalyst 9.5 is out. Have to check)
Once ati can get the drivers cleaned up, the ati will perform at par, if not better than, the 260.
check the following links, they include the 250, 260, 4850 and 4870, this time with nvidia beta drivers and catalyst 9.4
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...50-roundup-asus-gigabyte-sparkle-evga-17.html

*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...50-roundup-asus-gigabyte-sparkle-evga-14.html

in one case, the 4870 underperforms, and in the other case, it beats the 260.
either way, the difference is 4-5 fps.
What i am basically trying to say is that the 4870 is a formidable card, but is only hampered by poor drivers. the 260 is currently giving its best performance, but the 4870 has a very good chance of improving its already stellar performance.
Also note that the 4850 is giving 97% of the performance of the 260 and 4870 at almost rs3k less. his despite the fact that it is an underclocked version of the 4870.
It speaks for itself about the quality of the card and the problems with the drivers.

i'll have to stick with the 4870 on this. I do recall that the 4890 could be overclocked to a core speed of 1ghz and the memory to 5ghz and was only limited by the software. this with the stock cooler, the 4870 must be similarly capable.

the nvidia gtx260 is very good and an excellent option, but like i said, its a matter of personal choice. the performance of the cards is too close to call.

I hope this message was informative and will clear up all the confusion regarding both cards. :)

huntu123

hardcore gamer

tkin
Exactly my point. 10.1 is better than 10 and for long term use, will geve better performance than the 260. Ati has its own implementaion of a physics engine(havok i think).
Also, till direct x11 is out, 10.1 is the latest and is better than 10.

I would also like to point out that both tests were conducted using catalyst 8.11 drivers, whereas i've mentioned that the cards give consistent performance with the beta drivers.(i think catalyst 9.5 is out. Have to check)
Once ati can get the drivers cleaned up, the ati will perform at par, if not better than, the 260.
check the following links, they include the 250, 260, 4850 and 4870, this time with nvidia beta drivers and catalyst 9.4
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...50-roundup-asus-gigabyte-sparkle-evga-17.html

*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...50-roundup-asus-gigabyte-sparkle-evga-14.html

in one case, the 4870 underperforms, and in the other case, it beats the 260.
either way, the difference is 4-5 fps.
What i am basically trying to say is that the 4870 is a formidable card, but is only hampered by poor drivers. the 260 is currently giving its best performance, but the 4870 has a very good chance of improving its already stellar performance.
Also note that the 4850 is giving 97% of the performance of the 260 and 4870 at almost rs3k less. his despite the fact that it is an underclocked version of the 4870.
It speaks for itself about the quality of the card and the problems with the drivers.

i'll have to stick with the 4870 on this. I do recall that the 4890 could be overclocked to a core speed of 1ghz and the memory to 5ghz and was only limited by the software. this with the stock cooler, the 4870 must be similarly capable.

the nvidia gtx260 is very good and an excellent option, but like i said, its a matter of personal choice. the performance of the cards is too close to call.

I hope this message was informative and will clear up all the confusion regarding both cards. :)

hw cn u say dat GTX 260 perfomance is saturated nw n der wl b no further improvement afaik its a fact nvidia drivers r bettr dan ati n everytime nvidia introduces new drivers its shows improvement.......on d other hand ati drivers mostly try to clear previous bugs in drivers n concentrating much more on dual gpu solutions......HD 4870 is a very gud card no doubt......but GTX 260is much better overall.....n who said gtx 260 is more power hungry.....afaik at idle it consumes much less power dan HD 4870 n it is very imp.....as ur desktop is likely to sit idle more dan load........*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/evga-geforce-gtx260-216-55nm_5.html#sect0

r4gs

In the zone

I never said the 260 has maxed out. I just said its giving its best. The 4870 is still not able to do its best due to the poor drivers.

I specifically pointed out the 4850 for this reason. The 4870 and 4850 should show a decent performance margin, there isn't much, which many reviewers attribute to poor drivers, which in turn clearly indicates that the 4870 can still perform better.
The 260 is able to reach its potential with each firmware upgrade, and is still performing at par, with, in effect, a bottlenecked 4870.

Power consumption wise, guess i was wrong. Must have mixed it up with another card.

archnemesis666

Right off the assembly line

I have bought a palit nvidia geforce GTX 285 graphics card. Will this card fit in an ATX mid tower sized cabinet/case (Coolermaster 690)?? or i have to buy a full tower cabinet/case?? plzz help!!

archnemesis666

Right off the assembly line

I have bought a palit nvidia geforce GTX 285 graphics card. Will this card fit in an ATX mid tower sized cabinet/case (Coolermaster 690)?? or i have to buy a full tower cabinet/case?? plzz help!

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent

^^don't post like spamming in all threads...post in one thread and wait for the reply. I hav already answered ur question in the another thread.

g_suresh_mps

Proud Core i7 Owner

Can anyone tell me about availability of Service center for Palit Graphics cards in Chennai

r4gs

In the zone

I just purchased the palit gtx260 sonic edition today. Much cheaper than i expected, only 11.4k. Card is factory overclocked with a nice, dual fan custom cooler.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ congtrats, yeah you got that for a really good price. :p
BTW, what happened to HD4870 ? you changed your mind from HD4870. :p

r4gs

In the zone

Thanks.
I wanted the 4870 quite badly but they didn't have it in stock and i was in a hurry. I had to settle for this. I'm still happy though. The sonic edition blows away the stock 4870. :)
By the way, there is a hd4870 available for 10k with 1gb ddr3 also.

Krow

Crowman

^^^There's even a sonic edition of the gtx260 with 1792MB GDDR3 RAM for 14.5k ex-Mumbai!!! I was surprised! 1792 MB and that too SONIC!

loktar

Broken In

guys i realy need your inputs here......
my xfx 8600 gt 256 ddr3 has recently died on me ( blame it on the super crappy cooler from xfx) so i was thinkin about a new gfx card...
my budget is pretty tight (max rs 8000) and i have short listed two cards... palit 9800 gt 512 mb and palit 4850 512 mb..
from the benchmarks it seems that palit 4850 is a better card all through.... however it seems to have some serious heating problem (90 degrees at load!!)
which one do u think is a better choice ? have any one had any experience with 4xxx ati cards?(they all seem to share the same heating issue)... do the cards run well at such scorchin temps?
i have endured same prob from the 8600 gt where once temp would shoot beyond 70 , games like gta iv or last remnant would invariably crash...and finally after such suffering it got fried a few days ago:roll:

Top Bottom