Graphics Cards related queries here.

ITTechPerson

Search for Adventure
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

off topic:
I am going to make a new pc - config : suggested by digitian
E8400
MSI P35 Neo Combo F (ddr 3 support)

Now I need a decent gfx in 3 k
8500GT or 8600GT (ddr3) - ?? (both recomended by digitian in diferent post)
pls suggest -

tkin

Back to school!!

ooo next time i will write a post ......i'll write its not meant for mr. tkin

i m sorry there were none for u !!!

its ur personal view obviously most people around the world doesn't share that spending extra $30 is worth for 5% increase! .

oh now thats something new here i was not aware of ..perhaps new rules should be defined by Mr. tkin here so that all cards can b benchmarked in a fair manner ...
the rule according to mr.Tkin goes --all games either should favour nVidia or ATI only then bechmarking results can be fair !

obviously it shows how much do u know know about CPU's and its working in depth,why shouldn't u go and apply a job at Intel,or some other review site which says 9800gtx+ is out of the world card! ..they can use ur expertise!

i will let it pass just to say even HD4870x2 didn't make it!

everybody knows what generation it is ...so i guess no need to say anything about it !

as i said above u have better expertise than them ...and obviously that was not for u ....for u some great sites need to come down from heaven :)

after all world in not low on cynics u can also find a friend there ...its not a miracle i guess!

reason for it being not included was this test took 500 hrs ..and that will be about a month ..thats the reason for old catalyst drivers and not including HD4870x2!

clearly shows if one is after picking mistakes ...one wouldn't leave a typo!..now thats called cynical ...:D

offcourse those bunch of kids are much respected than u,well by most of the people except cynical friends of urs ...!:)

same to u !

why should i ever do that ..thats a waste of time...and what do i have to prove to u anyway ...all the people with brain have understood knows where HD4850 belongs and gone quiet seeing ur attitude...moreover "pagal kutte to nahin kata mujhe"..so that i will do that!

now this is the portion which made me laugh the most among otherwise completely hilarious post!

now really i should say u should have read and seen the review from ur eyes wide open before posting this....

before i start let me laugh out loud!!!! ha ha ha
1st benchmark - tomb raider anniversary (is this really a game to benchmark ??? strange choice ..just shows the level of legitreviews ..)

@1900x1200
9800gtx+ --->99.9 FPS
HD4850 ----->120.6 FPS

20 FPS more for HD4850... 20% increase over covoted (according to Mr .Tkin ) 9800gtx+

2nd benchmark - company of heroes
@1900x1200
9800gtx+---->41.4 FPS
HD4850--->34.6 FPS

9800gtx+ is ahead by 6.8 FPS

3rd benchmark -world in conflict
@1900x1200
9800gtx+ ----->24 FPS
HD4850 ------> 29 FPS

5 FPS less for 9800gtx+

4th becnhmark- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

@1900x1200
9800 gtx+ ---->107.1 FPS
HD4850 ----> 95 FPS

12 FPS more for 9800gtx+

5th bentchmark - BIOSHOCK

9800gtx+ ----->49.33 FPS
HD4850 ------>47.467 FPS

1.863 FPS more for 9800gtx+

6th benchmark - CRYSIS
@1900x1200 -very high
9800gtx+ ------->16.8 FPS
HD4850 -------->15.867 FPS

0.933 FPS more for 9800gtx+

7th benchmark - Call Of Duty 4

@1900x1200

9800gtx+---->41.8 FPS
HD4850 ----->43.5 FPS

1.7 FPS less for 9800gtx+

total average FPS for 9800gtx+ in all games = 380.33
total average FPS for HD4850 in all games = 386.034

9800gtx+ is 5.704 total average FPS behind HD4850...

i hope u can calculate the percentage decrease for 9800gtx+

i don't see a 5 % increase here on the review provided by you ...unless i don't know maths or did something wrong here !!! :p:D

now in India the price of

HD4850 is 9.25k
9800gtx+ is 12.5k

9800gtx+ being 3.25k more costly than HD4850 gives above performance ...clear winner only in two games company of heroes and stalker out of 7 games ...unless 1.863FPS , 0.9 FPS really mean something to u....i would say thats almost equal cos test system parameters can be variable.

those who have eyes can see it ...who is the real winner

and this is the performance in old games...newer games i don't know what will happen to 9800gtx+

taling about overclocking our own forum member(regenade) has a overclocking result for HD4850 ...now try getting that with ur 9800gtx+

15683 3d mark 06 scores !

*www.imgx.org/public/view/full/10985

copy that !!!

not clearing facts just being motivated by bragging of friends ..its all about ur personal ego!

alas it wasn't for u ...

but to make things clear i will not be again talking over this topic ever again hence it was long so i m sorry to other people who had to see such a long thread!!!!

Chill out, let's end this.:):)

Funny thing is neither you or I have any of the cards we're debating and screaming about, let's be friends and end this quarrel right here right now.:D:D

Instead lets use our expertise to help the other forum members desperately in need of some help.:cry::cry:

Debating about staff we don't have will just waste time and waste our keyboards away, let others do that and keep our opinions to ourselves, we all have our personal likings and believe me, I never in my life had regretted buying the X1900XTX even when I saw my friends getting the GF8800GT cards and bragging about it, no egos here just likings that's all.:p

I decided to test nVidia out even when I can get the HD4870 which performs like GTX260/GTX280., so its my choice and I don't give a dang about how great others are, as long as I'm happy that what matters only.:eek:

No more HD4850 vs 9800GTX+ debates here from now on.:)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^ guys,

Nvidia released a new GTX260 Core 216 card. What they did is they added more ALU's (216 compared to earlier one's 192).

And the result,

GTX260 core 216 is much more competitive when compared to HD4870, beating 4870 in few games but losing to in many.

Still, it's a great improvements. Now, I think nvidia know what to do and where to put the extra effort for their next architecture.

Game on!!!!!

Anandtech
We tested seven games. AMD and NVIDIA split it, each winning three of them and virtually tied in the seventh. I hate to disappoint those looking for a one sided fight here, but this one is a wash. NVIDIA would want to point out that CUDA and PhysX are significant advantages that would put the Core 216 over the top but honestly there's no compelling application for either (much like the arguments for Havok and DirectX 10.1 from the AMD camp).

PCGamesHardware:

The reissued GTX 260 is a little faster than its predecessor, but it still hasn't got the power to clearly beat AMD's Radeon HD 4870. Furthermore the GTX 260 with 216 ALUs is expected to be a little more expensive than the version with 192 ALUs when it is released to the market and it looks like both cards will be available for some time.

techPowerUp:

It seems the combination of increased shaders and increased clocks is a winning team because our benchmarks show the GTX 260 AMP² Edition only 1% behind the regular GeForce GTX 280 - which still costs over $130 more. A one percent difference in gaming is so small that you will never notice it during game play. Of course you have to consider that the potential overclocking headroom on the GTX 280 will be higher since the chips have been better binned. But unless you are a hardcore overclocker those $130 will certainly be better invested somewhere else.
Overall I am very impressed with the improved GTX 260, even though the naming scheme sucks. There will be lots of drama on Ebay and other shops about incorrectly labeled cards. Other than the naming the only other thing that could be improved in my opinion is the fan noise. Slightly higher temperatures for less noise would be very acceptable I think.

Guru3D:

The GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 is merely a notch faster than it's predecessor .. making it compete fiercely with the competitors best Single-GPU product. None the less, the real trick is the new 279 USD pricing level. Add to that the additional performance and then the real candy .. the overclocked models from the board partners and you have the ingredients for a very nice product, making this release extremely interesting. And that's just really fascinating for sure

Hardwarecanucks:

What a rollercoaster ride this review was. Without a doubt, there will be parallels drawn between the GTX 260 with 216 stream processors and the venerable HD 4870 but before we get to that, let’s sit down and take a look at this card EVGA sent us. The EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition is one hell of a performer in every single game and just like the HD 4870 before it, redefines what people thought they would have to pay for this type performance. It used to be ATI reacting to Nvidia releases but now it seems that Nvidia is doing everything they can to answer the challenge brought upon it from the HD 4850 and HD 4870. In the end, it is the consumer that benefits no matter how much ATI or Nvidia fans howl at the moon that their preferred card is faster.

Hothardware:

The new GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 performed very well throughout out entire battery of benchmarks. Overall, the GTX 260 Core 216 outperformed the first-gen GeForce GTX 260 in every test--as expected--and outpaced the Radeon HD 4870 in the vast majority of tests as well. The Zotac card we tested was marginally faster than EVGA's offering due to its slightly higher clock speeds, but the differences were small and could be made up for with some mild overclocking. In the multi-GPU tests, the GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 setup performed better than the Radeon HD 4870 CorssFire setup more often than not, but superior scaling in a couple of tests (3DMark06, HL2 1920x1200) gave the Radeons an edge.

Hexus:

NVIDIA has quietly rolled in the new GeForce GTX 260 that improves performance over and above the present GTX 260 by adding an extra processing cluster - 24 stream processors - to the GPU. The addition of the extra cluster gives it between 5-7.5 per cent extra oomph as gaming tests become bound by the GPU, and helps the card to gain slight leadership over the Radeon HD 4870.

AnandTech: *www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3408
TechPowerUp: *www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_260_Amp2_Edition
Guru3D: *www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-core-216--bfg-ocx-maxcore/1
HardwareCanucks: *www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...e-216-216-sp-superclocked-edition-review.html
Hothardware: *www.hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-260-Core-216-EVGA-Zotac
HardOP: *enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU1NiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA
Hexus: *www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=15464
PcGamesHardware: *www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,660194/Reviews/PCGH_Review_Nvidia_Geforce_GTX_260_with_216_ALUs

imgame2

Padawan

@desiibond

thats a great post infact i was reading that ..just right now ...but still the main factor remains that in india one can get a HD4870 at a cost of 16.5k and gtx260 plain still costs about 19k (while in US a HD4870 costs almost the same as gtx260) ...don't know how much gtx260 with 216 cores will be(US it costs $279) ...

since it comes from evga ....it will be cost much higher in India ...is it really worth in India ???

even in US HD4870 is already available at $269 ....so i think people will still prefer HD4870 ...already bulk of people have bought it ...so nvidia has lost an edge here,

the new line up from ATI will take away the main low end market from nvidia too...

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!

@tkin:

please elaborate.
When a DX10 card is used to play DX9 games it relatively puts less stress on the card(aside newer games) because they were designed with relatively less powerfull hardware in mind, eg-A card like 9800GT would cost a fortune even a couple of years back.

I payed through my nose to get X1900XTX, now you get GTX260 at that price, so the games run fast and flawlessly, games like FEAR, FAR CRY etc.

So switching to DX10 from DX9 one can expect major performance drop as more resourcess are needed to render the complex scenes, thats what I meant.(Although in recent games its not that pronounced)

Also most importantly DX10 is extremely inefficient than DX9, it causes performance drop without much quality enhancement, due to lack of proper optimization,
eg- *www.crunchgear.com/2007/11/05/dx10-vs-dx9-absolutely-no-image-quality-differences/

imgame2

Padawan

Funny thing is neither you or I have any of the cards we're debating and screaming about, let's be friends and end this quarrel right here right now.:D:D
as a matter of fact i have HD4850...and thats my first AMD card after 3 nVidia cards..and as arijit_2404 said ...and i agree

"After using nvidia gfx from the starting day of my computing, this is the first time I've bought HD4850 - I'm now angry on myself... for using overpriced and media-hyped nvidia cards for this long time."
I decided to test nVidia out even when I can get the HD4870 which performs like GTX260/GTX280., so its my choice and I don't give a dang about how great others are, as long as I'm happy that what matters only.:eek:
if u have personal choices why not keep it urself,that kind of discussion only confuses people and the way u were advertising it,it looks like u are imposing it on others ..i have fairly bad components in my comp ..but i love them ..but don't try to impose on other ...ican only say its good as i m using it ..and i find no problem with it ..rest is other person's choice ...

lets call a spade a spade ...

tkin

Back to school!!

as a matter of fact i have HD4850

lets call a spade a spade ...
Sorry, thought someone with that card will put it on his siggy, and yeah, this has beens going on for too long, from now on we only prefer what the world thinks best and provide links to justify them.
BTW, how much did you OC that card of your's?

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

off topic:
I am going to make a new pc - config : suggested by digitian
E8400
MSI P35 Neo Combo F (ddr 3 support)

Now I need a decent gfx in 3 k
8500GT or 8600GT (ddr3) - ?? (both recomended by digitian in diferent post)
pls suggest -

I and some other 'Digitians' elaborated to you clearly, didnt we ???

8600GT 256MB GDDR3 completely owns 8500GT's ass :|.

You also posted that you are going to buy the ASUS one.

imgame2

Padawan

Sorry, thought someone with that card will put it on his siggy, and yeah, this has beens going on for too long, from now on we only prefer what the world thinks best and provide links to justify them.
BTW, how much did you OC that card of your's?

no need to be sorry ...i had no intention of proving myself right and proving u wrong ...nor i have any intention to belittle urself ...if i think or do that ..it actually shows my bad deteriorating nature or morality.

and no i never said that u should say what world says...its very good to have a personal opinion,infact i so much appreciate that ...everyone has a unique ability to think and conclude,which one should not let affect by outer factors.But why not look at the facts before thinking and concluding it always help!

all i just wanted to say was u just open ur eyes,look around,there are better things out there.

For ur sake i still hope that gtx260 prices come down,and u can actually buy it.I have no problem with nVidia if u want to go for nVidia thats the way to go right now ....nor do i have any problem in u preferring PhysX or CUDA.Afterall why not??? u are studying CompSci ...u might want to do ur own coding in CUDA one day.And i believe anyone who has strong resolve in his heart can do anything,so even u can do it.

But the point i had to make while something might be useful for u,it may not be useful for most of the buyers out there ...and those who don't understand about it simply get confused the way u present things..thats all.

i hope u understand what i mean to say! and really no hard feelings of any kind!

tkin

Back to school!!

no need to be sorry ...i had no intention of proving myself right and proving u wrong ...nor i have any intention to belittle urself ...if i think or do that ..it actually shows my bad deteriorating nature or morality.

and no i never said that u should say what world says...its very good to have a personal opinion,infact i so much appreciate that ...everyone has a unique ability to think and conclude,which one should not let affect by outer factors.But why not look at the facts before thinking and concluding it always help!

all i just wanted to say was u just open ur eyes,look around,there are better things out there.

For ur sake i still hope that gtx260 prices come down,and u can actually buy it.I have no problem with nVidia if u want to go for nVidia thats the way to go right now ....nor do i have any problem in u preferring PhysX or CUDA.Afterall why not??? u are studying CompSci ...u might want to do ur own coding in CUDA one day.And i believe anyone who has strong resolve in his heart can do anything,so even u can do it.

But the point i had to make while something might be useful for u,it may not be useful for most of the buyers out there ...and those who don't understand about it simply get confused the way u present things..thats all.

i hope u understand what i mean to say! and really no hard feelings of any kind!
Thanks a lot:):)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Go for 8600GT DDR3. It beats the 8500GT any day. I regret buying the 8500GT anyday. Is not a gaming card at all. :)

sephiroth

Right off the assembly line

i bougth a zotac ge force 9600 gt amp edition 512mb graphics card and a 600w zebronics power supply. but I am not getting the desirable performance. whereas my friend who is having an xfx 9600gt 512 mb is gettin performance way better than me. my pc config is core 2 duo e8400 3 ghz, 4gb ram 800mhz and having a gigabyte sli motherboard.
please help

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

i bougth a zotac ge force 9600 gt amp edition 512mb graphics card and a 600w zebronics power supply. but I am not getting the desirable performance. whereas my friend who is having an xfx 9600gt 512 mb is gettin performance way better than me. my pc config is core 2 duo e8400 3 ghz, 4gb ram 800mhz and having a gigabyte sli motherboard.
please help

The problem is that you bought a 9600GT :|.

Your config kicks ass and if you would have bought a HD4850, then you would have got waaaaay better performance.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

a question on gfx.... if i put my Prescott P4 HT running at 3.06GHz in a high end Mobo with a good gfx solution like HD4850, then did the cpu still bottleneck the gfx card..
Cause i dont want to sell off my p4 and want to keep it with me...

@imgame2:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=943715&postcount=6100
nicely said and done:D:D:D:D.

@sephiroth:
i bougth a zotac ge force 9600 gt amp edition 512mb graphics card and a 600w zebronics power supply. but I am not getting the desirable performance. whereas my friend who is having an xfx 9600gt 512 mb
What problems in performance are you having?
What resolution do you play at and with what settings and what games?
Do you have the latest drivers for your gfx card and mobo and bios fixes for your mobo?
What are the specs of your friend's PC?
Please answer these so we can help you better.

imgame2

Padawan

a question on gfx.... if i put my Prescott P4 HT running at 3.06GHz in a high end Mobo with a good gfx solution like HD4850, then did the cpu still bottleneck the gfx card..
Cause i dont want to sell off my p4 and want to keep it with me...

yes it will ..cos most of the new games coming out utilises as much CPU as a GFX card ..some card require atleast a core2duo to run ...so it will definately bottleneck ur HD4850 ...infact just look around the reviews ...people do get different FPS using different CPU ...so prescott P4 HT is defiantely old to utilise what HD4850 has to offer

ITTechPerson

Search for Adventure

Sorry bro.
ya u told me about tht - I was a little cofused about 8500 & 8600 -
Thanks a ton for ur (u & all others who have replied) help, I have selected tht Asus 8600 for my config.

Top Bottom