Graphics Cards related queries here.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

its always wise to buy from a local dealer,it really gives u satisfaction and if u run into some problem,u can go and get it repaired/replaced on ur own and fast.

and i always feel comfortable with what we say - "ek hath de ek hath le"

and tirupati are good distributors they should be able to get u palit hd 4850 sonic. but perhaps lynx india is one of the best online shops in india.they have good response and reputation. so i guess it shouldn't be a problem doing bussiness with them and if u still feel unsure.i feel u can find many people here who have done bussiness with lynx before ..they will help u out!

will try dat out...do ya knw neone here whos has done business with lynx?

dude i don't play 3dmark !!! its synthetic benchmark ..u can watch its all eyecandy and boast about ur score.thats it nothing more to it !

but i do play crysis, COD4,world in conflict etc ...and performance in those games matter more for a gamer ...is it not ?

+1
and btw, 3dmark 06 is passe, and 9800gtx+ gets pwned by hd 4850 in 3dmark vantage :D
but then, as imgame2 says, i dont play 3dmark vantage ! 8)

tkin

Back to school!!

its always wise to buy from a local dealer,it really gives u satisfaction and if u run into some problem,u can go and get it repaired/replaced on ur own and fast.

and i always feel comfortable with what we say - "ek hath de ek hath le"

and tirupati are good distributors they should be able to get u palit hd 4850 sonic. but perhaps lynx india is one of the best online shops in india.they have good response and reputation. so i guess it shouldn't be a problem doing bussiness with them and if u still feel unsure.i feel u can find many people here who have done bussiness with lynx before ..they will help u out!

dude i don't play 3dmark !!! its synthetic benchmark ..u can watch its all eyecandy and boast about ur score.thats it nothing more to it !

but i do play crysis, COD4,world in conflict etc ...and performance in those games matter more for a gamer ...is it not ?
That's exactly my point.Game FPS data counts.With all the hardware sites supporting either nVidia or ATI this gets kind of confusing.Also the HD4850 is out for some time while the 9800GTX+ just launched.Have to wait for a couple of weeks till nVidia releases the next whql driver,may be then more sites will do the 9800GTX+ review and we can make out a winner between HD4850 and 9800GTX+.
Looking forward for an oc'ed version from XFX(like XXX or Black edition) which would definitely boost performance.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

That's exactly my point.Game FPS data counts.With all the hardware sites supporting either nVidia or ATI this gets kind of confusing.Also the HD4850 is out for some time while the 9800GTX+ just launched.Have to wait for a couple of weeks till nVidia releases the next whql driver,may be then more sites will do the 9800GTX+ review and we can make out a winner between HD4850 and 9800GTX+.
Looking forward for an oc'ed version from XFX(like XXX or Black edition) which would definitely boost performance.

chalo yaar, jus confess u r an nvidia fanboy.... going gaga over XFX xxx or black editions! :D
nothin wrong with that!

but i read somwhere(most probably anandetch or tomshardware) that d latest 177.83 forceware driver version has reduced performance compared to forceware 177.79! guess nvidia scuttled d ship trying to score a point with physx.....

now,beat that! :p

n btw, i hv PMed u! check dat out!

tkin

Back to school!!

chalo yaar, jus confess u r an nvidia fanboy.... going gaga over XFX xxx or black editions! :D
nothin wrong with that!

but i read somwhere(most probably anandetch or tomshardware) that d latest 177.83 forceware driver version has reduced performance compared to forceware 177.79! guess nvidia scuttled d ship trying to score a point with physx.....

now,beat that! :p

n btw, i hv PMed u! check dat out!
I replied and I'm currently using X1900XT.I'v seen some of my friends boast about the XFX 8800GT XXX edition so I thought maybe XFX will come up with a XXX ed of 9800GTX+.

imgame2

Padawan

But another predicament arises. Because PhysX slows down gameplay, and requires a fair amount of your GPU power to run, do you really want to enable the feature on lower-end models? It might all depend on the game and resolution, but if support is built in, it will cost you nothing to test it out and see if it works for you. Like gaming in general, the faster the GPU, the better it will be able to handle physics calculations without much of an FPS loss.

In my tests, the 9800 GTX suffered in losing 10FPS off of what the PPU could help with, but it might be that the GTX 260 or GTX 280 would portray differing results. There's no two-ways about it... those cards are powerful, so I have a feeling that running PhysX off of them would affect your overall FPS a lot less than what we saw here.

source - *techgage.com/article/nvidias_physx_performance_and_status_report/4

PhysX uses a part of GPU to perform intense physics calculations,so there has to a compromise in frames per second.and 9800 gtx+ being an old architecture fails to use PhysX efficiently and powerfully as i said before.In future PhysX will play lead part in gaming with launch of multicore GPU's but for now its just in initial stages and can't handle both physics calculation and gaming performace at the same time,its just too much for 9800 gtx+ .....i seriously hope when i plan to buy my next card it should be nvidia's with efficient support for PhysX among other things.

Last edited:

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

source - *techgage.com/article/nvidias_physx_performance_and_status_report/4

PhysX uses a part of GPU to perform intense physics calculations,so there has to a compromise in frames per second.and 9800 gtx+ being an old architecture fails to use PhysX efficiently and powerfully as i said before.In future PhysX will play lead part in gaming with launch of multicore GPU's but for now its just in initial stages and can't handle both physics calculation and gaming performace at the same time,its just too much for 9800 gtx+ .....i seriously hope when i plan to buy card it should be nvidia's with efficient support for PhysX among other things.

hv u decided yet wat will u b buying this time round?

imgame2

Padawan

I replied and I'm currently using X1900XT.I'v seen some of my friends boast about the XFX 8800GT XXX edition so I thought maybe XFX will come up with a XXX ed of 9800GTX+.

8800 gt is by all means a great card and i wanted to buy it 3 months ago. but sadly same can't be said with 9800 gtx+.infact it was 8800 gt which started it all --"awesome performance @ affordable cost axiom".

but i guess ATI it seems to have worked it for their favor!

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

physX is NOT about performance . .its about eye-candy. old cpu dependent games will have a boost in performance with geforce physX. .but modern gpu dependent games tend to loose performance with geforce physX.. if u're so much into physX , then why not go for a multi gpu solution ? , get a cheap 8400GS to do physX and use 9800GTX+ for graphics. . .maybe u can couple 8400 with a radeon 4850 too as this aint SLI or X-fire. . .not sure abt this. .

imgame2

Padawan

hv u decided yet wat will u b buying this time round?

yes i m pretty sure it should be HD 4850 sonic for me..... unless hd 4870 breaks 14 k barrier and is available below 14 k.u c human mind is very greedy .....

tkin

Back to school!!

8800 gt is by all means a great card and i wanted to buy it 3 months ago. but sadly same can't be said with 9800 gtx+.infact it was 8800 gt which started it all --"awesome performance @ affordable cost axiom".

but i guess ATI it seems to have worked it for their favor!
The 8800GT was the best some time ago.Even now two 8800GT SLI hold their own.But a single 8800GT is already outdated(though the G92 core is'nt).

imgame2

Padawan

physX is NOT about performance . .its about eye-candy. old cpu dependent games will have a boost in performance with geforce physX. .but modern gpu dependent games tend to loose performance with geforce physX.. if u're so much into physX , then why not go for a multi gpu solution ? , get a cheap 8400GS to do physX and use 9800GTX+ for graphics. . .maybe u can couple 8400 with a radeon 4850 too as this aint SLI or X-fire. . .not sure abt this. .

i think its more about how realistic a game will look...
remember the 3 laws of motions we read in school,those were simple for idealized situations but many other things add up to them and other complex laws for motion of each particle in game,or laws for each object how they will behave in many number of forces around,this gives rise to massive calculation of complex mathematical models.
object will tend to behave in more realistic way as they do in real world.

as i understand it it will require a lot of computational power for physics computations and 260 gtx/280 gtx might handle them well but not the kinds of 8400 gs.

its like a part of GPU (may be 15% )is doing physics calculations and rest 85% is doing the graphics calculations.so it will tend to fall general game play performance.

tkin

Back to school!!

remember the 3 laws of motions we read in school,those were simple for idealized situations but many other things add up to them and other complex laws for motion of each particle in game,or laws for each object how they will behave in many number of forces around,this gives rise to massive calculation of complex mathematical models.

as i understand it it will require a lot of computational power for physics computations and 260 gtx/280 gtx might handle them well but not the kinds of 8400 gs.

its like a part of GPU (may be 15% )is doing physics calculations and rest 85% is doing the graphics calculations.so it will tend to fall general game play performance.
What about AGEIA cards?(they gave birth to PhysX as much as I can remember and maybe some old cards are still available)

imgame2

Padawan

What about AGEIA cards?(they gave birth to PhysX as much as I can remember and maybe some old cards are still available)

nVidia bought out Ageia this feb 2008,so even if old cards are available they are not worth it for about 10 k ...are they ? just for realistic physics ?

i would rather go for hd 4870 ...rather spending it on Ageia card!

tkin

Back to school!!

nVidia bought out Ageia this feb 2008,so even if old cards are available they are not worth it for about 10 k ...are they ? just for realistic physics ?

i would rather go for hd 4870 ...rather spending it on Ageia card!
Youre right.
Look at this- *www.wedvidpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5515
Freakin me out already:D:D:D:D:D

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

with a multi gpu configuration , one entire gpu will be dedicated for physX calculations . .if not 8400GS , a 8600GT is certainly enough to do physX calculations while the 9800GTX+ or gtx 280 do the graphics. . even by ur calculations, i think 8400GS will come upto atleast 10% performance as of gtx280. .so that should be enough for physX.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

@ imgame2 & tkin

i contacted rashi kolkata 2de....they dont have the new 9800GTX+ in stock,the older 9800GTX is avlabl @ 15k+tax :( :x

tirupati hv confirmed that they hv both gecube & palit hd4850 cards w/ 3yr warranty @11k+tax :|
they dont yet have the palit hd4850 sonic and neither can they bring on order :( :(

called up lynx store 2de,talkd wid amarveer......he confirmed the superb zotac rates.....and he too confirmed that the palit hd4850 sonic isnt yet available anywhere......too bad for imgame2!!!
another thing.....its possible to get warranty(& rma if reqd) on Zotac card from aditya branch in Kolkata,even if the card is bought from lynx....jus a call is needed..... :D

still, d 9800gtx+ is a very long card,10.5 inches long,i havent figured out hw wud i fit dat into my zeb antibiotic case evn if i buy it.....may just hv to go wid the hd4850!!! :)

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

How much does a 256 MB Nvidia 6200 and 8800 cost. can they run Virtua Tennis 3

Dunno if 256MB 6200 is still in the shops but if its there then 1k max :).

As per the 256MB NVIDIA 8800, it will cost around 5-6k but its a waste. Better get a 512MB Zotac 9600GT for 6.5k ;)

RexRazr

Broken In

can a 9600GT, paired with an E8400 give better FPS in Crysis than an 8800GT, paired with an X2 6400+?? (all in stock speeds)
i'm asking this altho it's true that in a game, the graphics card matters much more than the CPU...

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

can a 9600GT, paired with an E8400 give better FPS in Crysis than an 8800GT, paired with an X2 6400+?? (all in stock speeds)
i'm asking this altho it's true that in a game, the graphics card matters much more than the CPU...

No, the 8800GT beats 9600GT to death in Crysis :D.

Top Bottom