Graphics card for Pentium 3 ?

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
I have a Pentium 3 computer with Intel i810 motherboard. It is 866 Mhz, 512Mb SDRAM, 20+160 Gb harddisk which is originally showing 20+137 Gb, 16 Mb inbuilt video memory. I have only three PCI slots and not PCI-express or AGP. I want to install a graphics card to my computer. Please, tell me which graphics card should I buy which will support my computer and also I want to install a graphics card having memory of 128-256 Mb or it can be more also if my pentium 3 supports it. Also, do I need to upgrade my powersupply also to install a graphics card? I want to play games like Vice city, Underground. I am currently using Windows XP.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Whaaaaaat? :shock:

No point putting money into that ancient thing. Better buy a second hand PC to play games.
I don't think that you can get PCI GPUs anyway.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
someone suggest him a Brazos system. he'll be more than happy with the performance. ok Intel atom will do too :grin:

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I am here by requesting the Admins to declare this as The Thread of the Year

Coming to the topic. Even if we some how managed to suggest a Graphics Card, you will have a hard time finding it, even if you managed to find it, you will have even harder time fetching drivers and playing on that card.

Simple suggestion is, change the RIG. Really, it saves a lot of time and burden to you and to your good old computer.

If you are indeed serious, Specify the motherboard model, PSU you are using.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if OP is serious about a gfx card then I think he have to find a PCI version of Zotac Geforce 6200 - it may be available on lynx ( around ~3k )

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I think getting a used PS2 would make more sense. :) Even if the OP buys a 6200 he can play games that were out more than 5-6 years ago or games like warcraft etc.

digibrush

digitalpainter
As far as i remember 810 motherboard was available in the year 2000 in kolkata. this board comes with onboard graphics and sound.

This thread bring back my old memories and i am always nostalgic with my old pcs :).

Minimum cpu Requirements for vice city is 800 MHz GTA: Vice City System Requirements - Grand Theft Auto Files
and for nfs underground 700 MHz
Need for Speed: Underground - System Requirements - allgame,

so try with pci graphic as topgear suggest.:)

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Yup, either get a second hand PC (I am willing to sell mine :D) or get a new PS2 as suggested by desiibond. Man, that is a decade old PC, going to die anytime.

khmadhu

change is constant!!
woow.. dude u r using p3 machine.. I thought I was the old man here.. I am still using p4 1.7Ghz with 512mb 133mhz SD RAM, 40GB HDD:)

anyways I am gonna change it in march.

@AshutoshM dont invest for that p3 machine.. look for a new rig..

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I still have a P3 based machine back at home. I do not want to sell/throw it because it was my first PC :) ...sentimentally attached to a machine...eh :p

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
I have a Pentium 3 computer with Intel i810 motherboard. It is 866 Mhz, 512Mb SDRAM, 20+160 Gb harddisk which is originally showing 20+137 Gb, 16 Mb inbuilt video memory. I have only three PCI slots and not PCI-express or AGP. I want to install a graphics card to my computer. Please, tell me which graphics card should I buy which will support my computer and also I want to install a graphics card having memory of 128-256 Mb or it can be more also if my pentium 3 supports it. Also, do I need to upgrade my powersupply also to install a graphics card? I want to play games like Vice city, Underground. I am currently using Windows XP.

if OP is serious about a gfx card then I think he have to find a PCI version of Zotac Geforce 6200 - it may be available on lynx ( around ~3k )
@op
you are in luck buddy
TechEnclave
some guy is selling his 6200le for 500 bucks
you can get a bargain there:mrgreen:

@everybody
please stop pulling his leg
he is emotionally attached to the PC and i understand
not everyone does calculate their PC's worth based on Frames per second

Oh crap!!
i didn't notice you have only PCI slots
the card on sale is AGP
Bad Luck

Last edited:
@op
you are in luck buddy
TechEnclave
some guy is selling his 6200le for 500 bucks
you can get a bargain there:mrgreen:

ok let's say op buys this...

what is he gonna do with it? :-?

if only everyday work stuff its fine (well almost)... if but the rest...?
he's gonna have trouble even playing 480p matroska files...
and he can forget gaming... (lawl)..

but all of this is my saying...if op wants to invest in p3 (and he aint a gamer..and i mean zero gamer)...then i say go for what funkysourav says...i mean hey atleast its better than intel gma 950... (probably i dunno) :mrgreen:

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
Thank you my friends for your suggestions, but I don't want to sell my computer since it is my first pc my father brought for me. I have had many great experiences with my computer. I will not sell it even if someone gives me a new computer in exchange. I have come to know that there are cards available in market for my p3 machine but I want to confirm which card will support my pc. I don't want to play hi-end graphics games only the simple one like vice city. I will buy a new computer no doubt in that but priority of my old pc will not become less than my new computer. For now I don't want to spend on a new computer and I am ready to spend for a graphics card even it may seem strange. It is my request to you that tell me a card that I can install in my pc. One more thing that I am also deciding to buy a Seagate Baracuda 500Gb harddisk. Will it be running on my computer if I install Intel application accelerator that supports hard drive of high capacities. I have no SATA ports but I have an IDE to SATA converter. Earlier when I installed a 500GB harddisk using this converter it showed only 6Gb as it's capacity. But, it may be due to error in the drive. Thanks for help.

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
I have found these three graphics cards:

nVIdia 9600gt PCI

ATi Radeon 9250 PCI

Nvidia® Geforce FX5200

Will they be fine?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Thank you my friends for your suggestions, but I don't want to sell my computer since it is my first pc my father brought for me. I have had many great experiences with my computer. I will not sell it even if someone gives me a new computer in exchange. I have come to know that there are cards available in market for my p3 machine but I want to confirm which card will support my pc. I don't want to play hi-end graphics games only the simple one like vice city. I will buy a new computer no doubt in that but priority of my old pc will not become less than my new computer. For now I don't want to spend on a new computer and I am ready to spend for a graphics card even it may seem strange. It is my request to you that tell me a card that I can install in my pc. One more thing that I am also deciding to buy a Seagate Baracuda 500Gb harddisk. Will it be running on my computer if I install Intel application accelerator that supports hard drive of high capacities. I have no SATA ports but I have an IDE to SATA converter. Earlier when I installed a 500GB harddisk using this converter it showed only 6Gb as it's capacity. But, it may be due to error in the drive. Thanks for help.

Every one will have a moment like this, its always difficult to let our first computer go. But, we can't operate on it forever.

I would suggest buying 7200GS or 8400GS. As your CPU will be obvious bottleneck in performance, getting a 9600gt will not make it right.. and I'm pretty sure that your PCI-E slot (assuming that you have any) will only be 1.0 compliant.

But the best suggestion is, as said by Desiibond... To go for a PlaySation 2. you will 10 times more fun than what you will be having with a GPU upgrade.

Top Bottom