Graphics card for Pentium 3 ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@OP:
I respect your sentiments about the computer. I still keep some of the things which my dad left.....

Any ways, it is pointless to put in a GPU on your computer cause the CPU/RAM will just not be able to support it and it will just be a total waste -- which ever GPU you get. What I would suggest is that get a PS2 console, or when ever you have more funds come back and we can suggest a better machine. KEEP, the nice P3 of course you can use it for many things. Basic surfing, Facebook, mail, MS Office, DL rig...! :) Why spoil the integrity of the P3 by putting another device in it. Let it run as it is.
:)

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ vamsi_krishna - p3 mobos don't has any pci-e slot. some of these have agp slot for gfx card but op has only pci slots.

@ op - i think you should get a 8400GS - if you can't find it get 6200 - they will be enough to play games upto gta sa / painkiller / nfs ug and ug2 etc. but make sure the card has PCI interface only.

For 500gb hdd I don't think you will be able to use it's full capacity - as a 160GB is only showing only 137GB the 500GB will do the same.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
but I don't want to sell my computer since it is my first pc my father brought for me. I have had many great experiences with my computer. I will not sell it even if someone gives me a new computer in exchange.

sweet memories.

Do use PIII as long as it is alive.Dont invest on it anymore because it will be a foolish decision if u do so in the era of Quad-Core & Core proccessors.

Dont even buy PS2 when there is PS3 on the move.

But as ur requirement is playing GTA vice city etc.u can buy a laptop of
cost arounfd 20~24k from Acer,lenovo or DELL etc.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Save up the money, for time being get FX5200 used one(for 500 bucks:doublethumb:), and plan for upgrade. Get a monster rig, thrash it by playing all the games.

But, after 10 years, dont say you will not upgrade because i own this system 10yrs before. As time goes on, we have to move. Even i do keep my old cell phones (the brick like one from nokia :D) with me, but FYI i am not using it. There is a difference.

So leave P3 as d/l rig and :meditate:

himangshu

Fluidic design!!!
Don't invest on a GPU for your P3 based system. Keep it as it is. Instead buy a Playstation 2 or a Xbox 360.

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
Thanks to all! I have decided that one final investment will be fine and in a year I will buy a new machine or notebook. Thanks for all the advice once again! :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, he is going to get a gcard to enjoy some classic games on his legendary preciosu p3.

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
I have come to know that there are many heavy games that could be run on Pentium 3 if you have a graphics card. A video on Youtube shows a person running NFS Most Wanted on his Pentium 2!!

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
Will this graphics card work in XP?

I want to buy a graphics card and I only have PCI slots due to my old machine.
I want to know that will this card work on XP and can it run DirectX 9 games like GTA Vice city, NFS underground?

Here is the link:
eBay India: SPARKLE SFPC84GS512U2LP 8400 GS 512M GDDR2 PCI Silen... (item 270705470723 end time 14-Mar-2011 18:27:01 IST)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Re: Will this graphics card work in XP?

I want to buy a graphics card and I only have PCI slots due to my old machine.
I want to know that will this card work on XP and can it run DirectX 9 games like GTA Vice city, NFS underground?

Here is the link:
eBay India: SPARKLE SFPC84GS512U2LP 8400 GS 512M GDDR2 PCI Silen... (item 270705470723 end time 14-Mar-2011 18:27:01 IST)
we had this discussion before. buying PCI graphics is utter useless. better get a new mobo/proccy/ram when you save enough money.

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders

we had this discussion before. buying PCI graphics is utter useless. better get a new mobo/proccy/ram when you save enough money.

I know we discussed on it earlier but I also mentioned that I will buy a new machine in a year or two. Till then I have to use my old machine. I also mentioned that I am doing one final investment in that so that it also becomes enough powerful; I know not that powerful but at least capable enough to run Games!

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

^^ PC configuration please.

Here is configuration:
HotShare - Viewing Specs.JPG

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

found the last thread opened by the OP. merging the two threads.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@AshutoshM, get the cheapest atom nettop. it'll offer you more FPS as dualcore atom competes with midrange P4s. about your current PC, its not about the card you can install, the processor is way too slow to drive the modern IGP, forget graphics card.

also that P3 machine is old. even if it is able to play some game (old or new) it may breakdown.

Top Bottom