Graphics card and HD playback issues.

Renny

Padawan
Config - AMD Athlon 3000+, MSI K8MM-V, 2GB DDR 400MHz RAM, Seagate 7200.12 1TB, LG DVD Writer, USB K/B and Mouse, 2x80mm fan

Windows 7 32-Bit with Forceware 275.33

First of all I use my IGP primarily, I decided to check my Geforce 7300GT GPU but I'm facing some weird issue,

1.My on-board graphics (VIA Unichrome Pro IGP) can always playback 720p videos with ease at just around 40% CPU usage,

Sometimes even 1080p at CPU 100% usage,

2. But my Geforce 7300GT(AGP, 512 MB), struggles to playback 720p, the CPU usage is 100% and playback is very slow, audio and video are out of sync because video lags a lot,

Is the GPU lagging because its not getting enough power?

PS - I have tried GOM, KMP as well as Mediaplayer Classic, using both Overlay mixer and VMR9 Renderless, with the same results.

Last edited:

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
It's a low profile GPU, but still its enough for HD video.. Could you please post your PSU make and wattage ?

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
The SMPS is about 4.5 years old, its rated 250W, here are the specs:-

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 88

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nvidia Geforrce 7 series don't has integrated HD decoding capability and thats' why Op's movies are decoded by the cpu which is not enough for HD video.

@ OP - get a gfx card like 8400GS @ 1.5k or HD5570 around 3.7k if you want to play some games as well along with HD movies ;-)

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
So it not because of the PSU?
That's weird, an IGP doing better than a graphics card!

And I have an AGP slot, so suggest some GPU when can playback HD with ease and also their prices.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Well, chrome IG must be helping in video acceleration. 7300 is a very old GPU, most probably based of a higher model number 6xxx card.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Any AGP GPU that can decode even 1080p HD? Also what would the prices be?

Would this GPU suffice to playback even 1080p HD? And for 2K budget for GPU what do you suggest?

Gecube Graphic Card Model - GC-RX24PGA2-D3 ― Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check its availability. It should be more than sufficient for 1080p HD Movies and some light gaming too. ;)

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have an AGP slot, you can pretty much forget about buying a new graphic card. Consider a full system overhaul.

And yeah, that HD 2400 PRO will be more of a downgrade from your nVidia 7300 GT. Not an upgrade by any means. iirc, 7300 GT and HD 2400 XT used to compete with each other.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
^Cash strapped for an overall upgrade, so 7300GT>2400HD ? In that case its Nvidia which has not included GPU HD decoding!?

So let me confirm this once,

1.Buying a PSU won't solve this issue, rite?

2.Is there any tweak/custom firmware or driver I can use to make my 7300GT decode HD?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^Cash strapped for an overall upgrade, so 7300GT>2400HD ? In that case its Nvidia which has not included GPU HD decoding!?

So let me confirm this once,

1.Buying a PSU won't solve this issue, rite?

2.Is there any tweak/custom firmware or driver I can use to make my 7300GT decode HD?
well, no idea really.

Your card should handle 1080p imho.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@Xccentricity: PSU is only for power & not related to HD video decoding....

try updating the BIOS of GPU...

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
^Flashing is risky dude, I don't wanna screw up the card :)

Today I'm gonna be buying a Benq G2222HDL and FSP Saga II 500w SMPS, I had a budget of ~8500 for the monitor and 2K for the SMPS, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
1. ^Only between between ST2220L and ST2220M is in the L has a HDMI port?

2. And how much would a good DVI cable and a good power cable cost?

3. And my 7300GT will have no problems to display a screen resolution of 1920x1080 on the monitor rite? (Through DVI)

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Probably so.

2. 700-1000 bucks for both. But they would come bundled with the monitor, so don't worry.

3. Absolutely. ;)

Cilus

laborare est orare
First of all, 7300 based cards do have the capability of decoding HD content. It can work on any content if encoded in H.264, WMV, and MPEG-2 formats. Check here. But for using it you need to have nVidia Pure Video Decoder installed. Also use some players like Splayer, MediaPlayerClassic Home Cinema which have default DXVA acceleration capability for HD contents. Even at VLC you can enable GPU acceleration. GPU just can't jump to decode HD contents unless GPU acceleration supported players are not used.
Check in net to find setup guides for MPC Home Cinema. For codec install FFDShow Codec.

I know it because I used to use my 6600 GT with nVidia Pure Video decoder to decode HD contents based on DivX 6 codec.

Top Bottom