Graphic Card Overclock List and Discussion

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I don't think my gpus support boost, I think lenovo had disabled it and it is only supported in the y510p. The clocks never go upto 1125 in msi afterburner monitor or in unigine monitor.

How to check vram OC??

Hrishi

No, they are not gimmicks, we both know that its just they are heavily dependent on ambient temp and humidity too, you will actually see it work outside India. They work trust me.

boost and base clock gets same when applied svl7 modded bios, i have same thing. Only nvidia inspector Est MAx ( real-time) will show different.

What I am trying to say is that those laptop cooler fans are highly under performing compared to standard fans which you can actually use to construct a DIY cooler.
Trust me if those ready made laptop cooler reduce 5c then these will reduce 15.c

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
What I am trying to say is that those laptop cooler fans are highly under performing compared to standard fans which you can actually use to construct a DIY cooler.
Trust me if those ready made laptop cooler reduce 5c then these will reduce 15.c

Agreed

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

Yep this cooler is giving more performance than a local market cooler which costs ~500 bucks. The shopkeeper insists that his Intex cooler will cool better as its fan is bigger :lol: no matter the RPM (600).

just found the perfect overclock at +290 Mhz core and +600 Mhz memory so that would make it 1080Mhz core and 1300 vram

With this settings SLI micro-stuttering ceased to exist in my case, AC IV Black Flag, a very poorly optimized game does not micro-stutter. It may be also due to Nvidia's excellent driver support.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, they are not gimmicks, we both know that its just they are heavily dependent on ambient temp and humidity too, you will actually see it work outside India. They work trust me.

boost and base clock gets same when applied svl7 modded bios, i have same thing. Only nvidia inspector Est MAx ( real-time) will show different.

Thanks for the info.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
my Sapphire HD 6850 card has almost turned 3 years old and still going absolutely strong.
since the warranty runs out in a couple of months, I am getting a little adventurous on it.

So, I am trying to find a stable undervolt at stock clocks and a stable overclock at stock volts with temps less than 75C on Kombustor

Stock specifications
Core Clock 775Mhz
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Core Voltage 1.150 Volts
Runs at 78-80C on Kombustor Burn In test
Runs at 70-73C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test 18FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA

Stock stable undervolt for everyday 3d use and older games
Core Clock 775Mhz
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Core Voltage o.970 Volts
Runs at 75-76C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes
Runs at 60-65C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test 18FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA

and now the attempted overclock(unstable)
Stock Voltage Overclock Specs (not stable yet, need to find the kink)
Core Clock 940Mhz
Memory Clock 1240 MHz
Core Voltage 1.148 Volts
Runs at 80-83C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes (application crashes in around 4-6 minutes)
Runs at 68-74C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test 24-25FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA.

The STABLE overclock at stock volts
Core Clock 925Mhz
Memory Clock 1208 MHz
Core Voltage 1.148 Volts
Runs at 72-77C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes
Runs at 60-65C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test ,20-22FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA

I am using Sapphire Trixxx to set the clocks and volts, and Kombustor to stress test.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
my Sapphire HD 6850 card has almost turned 3 years old and still going absolutely strong.
since the warranty runs out in a couple of months, I am getting a little adventurous on it.

So, I am trying to find a stable undervolt at stock clocks and a stable overclock at stock volts with temps less than 75C on Kombustor

Stock specifications
Core Clock 775Mhz
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Core Voltage 1.150 Volts

Core Clock 775Mhz
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Core Voltage o.970 Volts
Runs at 75-76C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes

and now the attempted overclock(unstable)
Core Clock 940Mhz
Memory Clock 1240 MHz
Core Voltage 1.148 Volts
Runs at 80-83C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes (application crashes in around 4-6 minutes)
Runs at 68-74C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test 24-25FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA.

Core Clock 925Mhz
Memory Clock 1208 MHz
Core Voltage 1.148 Volts
Runs at 72-77C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes
Runs at 60-65C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test ,20-22FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA

I am using Sapphire Trixxx to set the clocks and volts, and Kombustor to stress test.

Post some 3dmark 11 scores please.
I noticed OCing memory too much is not worth it. FPS gains are minimal and it ramps up the temp by quite a lot. I dropped temps from 81 to 74 just by decreasing the memory clock from 1300 to 1100. FPS difference is 0.2FPS in Metro last Light Benchmarking test.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
*i.imgur.com/zSfdud3.jpg?1

Don't have 3dMark with me
so I ran Kombustor Burn In for 30 minutes and then Directx11 benchmark at 1600x900 fullscreen

this is the overclocked at stock voltage profile

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
HOT HOT HOT!!!
MSI Kombustor made the 2nd GPU reach upto 91 degrees in under 10 mins. But I guess Kombustor is not meant for laptops anyway.

Hrishi

Nvidia inspector is the best IMO , if it comes to overclocking majority of stock Nvidia Mobile GPUs.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Nvidia inspector is the best IMO , if it comes to overclocking majority of stock Nvidia Mobile GPUs.

I screwed up my SLI settings while tweaking for Kombustor to work. After that none of my games were running in SLI mode. That gave me a mini-heart attack. For a moment I thought I had burnt my SLI card. Just clean installed the 344.89 drivers and problem gone. I heaved a sigh of extreme relief. Never gonna mess with Kombustor again.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Stock specifications
Core Clock 775Mhz
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Core Voltage 1.150 Volts

*i.imgur.com/ASjNh38.jpg
Core Clock 775Mhz
Memory Clock 900 MHz
Core Voltage o.970 Volts
Runs at 65-70C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes
Kombustor Benchmark 1600x900 OpenGL 3 , PostFX on, 24 FPS , 1490 Points

*i.imgur.com/zSfdud3.jpg?1
Core Clock 925Mhz
Memory Clock 1208 MHz
Core Voltage 1.148 Volts
Runs at 72-80C on Kombustor Burn In test, 10 minutes
Runs at 63-68C on Kombustor Tessy Furry Test ,20-22FPS, 1600x900 res, no AA
Kombustor Benchmark 1600x900 OpenGL 3 , PostFX on, 34 FPS , 2054 Points

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Undervolted my Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 to a new low

Primary Specifications

Core Clock 775 MHz
Memory Clock 1000 MHz
Stock Core Voltage 1.150 V (VDDC)
Max Temps at MSI Kombustor DX11 Stress test at 160x900 res would get to 78-81C Auto fan speed

Modified the Core Voltage to 0.950 V (The same voltage used by the card when at 2D/desktop mode
Max Temps at MSI Kombustor DX11 Stress test at 160x900 res would get to 67-69C Auto Fan Speed

Difference of 12C in temps!
and absolutely no change in performance!

@Topgear,
we should have a Undervolt at Stock Clocks,
and Overclock at Stock Volts list too
it'd be interesting to see the demographic.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Nah as if so few members overclock. It won't be fun to see a list made of just 1 member.

But we should advocate undervolting, as the difference in temps are noticeable even in the summer time.
and its not at all unsafe,
as the worst thing that could happen is a restart or a BSOD, no damage to the Hardware (unlike in OC), and this way you save on power(minimal though) and that makes for better performance per temps and watt ratio.

- - - Updated - - -

Post some 3dmark 11 scores please.
I noticed OCing memory too much is not worth it. FPS gains are minimal and it ramps up the temp by quite a lot. I dropped temps from 81 to 74 just by decreasing the memory clock from 1300 to 1100. FPS difference is 0.2FPS in Metro last Light Benchmarking test.

Reduced the Memory OC from 1208 to 1100 MHz,
no change in temps, reduced the Frames, and card got a bit unstable I dunno why.
so 1200 MHz remains on the performance mode.

Can't get 3d mark 11 free to run on my PC.
it crashes with some error.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Undervolted my Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 to a new low

Primary Specifications

Core Clock 775 MHz
Memory Clock 1000 MHz
Stock Core Voltage 1.150 V (VDDC)
Max Temps at MSI Kombustor DX11 Stress test at 160x900 res would get to 78-81C Auto fan speed

Modified the Core Voltage to 0.950 V (The same voltage used by the card when at 2D/desktop mode
Max Temps at MSI Kombustor DX11 Stress test at 160x900 res would get to 67-69C Auto Fan Speed

Difference of 12C in temps!
and absolutely no change in performance!

@Topgear,
we should have a Undervolt at Stock Clocks,
and Overclock at Stock Volts list too
it'd be interesting to see the demographic.

Hmm .. interesting idea. Anyway, I'm upto do these experiments but you better not use Kombuster / Furmark instead better use Unigine Heaven , 3DMark 11 / Vantage. BTW, Post the 3DMark error message as this could indicate an unstable OC / LC.

Hrishi

has anyone succesfully under-volted the IVB Mobile CPUs , particularly 36xxM ?? I need to run some resource intensive applications on it , and the Temps. reach pretty high , close to TjMax. Need to undervolt it , anyhow. Can't even disable the turbo from BIOS. No such options are available.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
So I was trying my hand and some simple OC-ing with the HD7850.

Stock:- Core:- 900Mhz Memory:- 1200Mhz
*i61.tinypic.com/jkk42h.png

Overclock 1 :- Core:- 1000Mhz Memory:- 1300Mhz (No significant performance gain)
*i61.tinypic.com/2py5c8i.png

Overclock 2:- Core:- 1050Mhz Memory:- 1400 Mhz (Pretty good boost in performance)
*i59.tinypic.com/2wg7qtt.png

Comparison of all 3:-
*i60.tinypic.com/2cnwkmc.png

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, look nice. Did you try with some games to measure real world FPS difference between Stock and OCed ?

Top Bottom