Status
Not open for further replies.

anurag_bhd

May the Force be with you
Although I am quite late in letting you guys know about this news, I think it is better late than never to tell.

Granular Linux's version 1.0 was released last month. Granular is one of the most active Linux distros from India.

Looking at the huge number of open source lovers out here, I am sure many of you would want to try it out yourself.

Also, Granular 1.0 is expected to be included in March 2009 edition of Digit. :D

Website
*www.granularlinux.com/

Release announcement
*www.granularproject.org/?q=node/121

Let me know what you think about it.

Rahim

Married!
Thanks Anurag for this info.

The literal meaning of the word Granular in the computing world is :
"The degree of modularity of a system. More granularity implies more flexibility in customizing a system, because there are more, smaller increments (granules) from which to choose."

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Looks like a very polished distro..
E17 looks particularly cool...
I see it's based on KDE 3.5...Any plans for KDE 4.2?

OP
anurag_bhd

anurag_bhd

Looks like a very polished distro..
E17 looks particularly cool...
I see it's based on KDE 3.5...Any plans for KDE 4.2?

Yep, there are plans for KDE 4. We'll be working shortly to package and provide KDE 4 RPMs in the repository, as KDE 4 is the future desktop environment and a much needed thing in our repository right now. Also, the next release will be based on KDE 4 only.

And thanks guys for the complements. :D

Rahim

Married!
I am tempted to use it since it is desi stuff.

Already downloaded and installed :D Its based on PCLinuxOS with rock-solid KDE 3.5 as DE and packages are handled with APT/Synaptic. WIll use this distro a my primary OS after the memory hog openSUSE 11.1

@Anurag: Tell us in which way you are related to GranularLinux Project?

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^Yes, it will be on the March DVD
I've not checked it out thoroughly, but a test run on VirtualBox was enough to convince me to use it on my Laptop. I currently use Fedora...

OP
anurag_bhd

anurag_bhd

Hehe, so Granular 1.0 has been included in the DVD for this month's issue (March 2009). Make sure you try it from there. :)

vaithy

In the zone
dear Anurag!
For KDE 4.2 many distros are there..why U want to join this bandwagon? What vista' is to Windows KDE 4 is to Linux (KDE based)..PCLOS wait for two years(it is true they also lost the first rank held in DW) now they hit with vengeance with their new version but based on KDE 3.5, why not u concentrate on it..atleast a DVD version of Granular with Open office 3.01 and include many multimedia applications may be your next goal // I know You are the developer and only you know what to do with your distro.. i am merely a user but based on my user experience I express my view here... thanks for the nice distro..
with regards,
vaithy

Last edited:
OP
anurag_bhd

anurag_bhd

dear Anurag!
For KDE 4.2 many distros are there..why U want to join this bandwagon? What vista' is to Windows KDE 4 is to Linux (KDE based)..PCLOS wait for two years(it is true they also lost the first rank held in DW) now they hit with vengeance with their new version but based on KDE 3.5, why not u concentrate on it..atleast a DVD version of Granular with Open office 3.01 and include many multimedia applications may be your next goal // I know You are the developer and only you know what to do with your distro.. i am merely a user but based on my user experience I express my view here... thanks for the nice distro..
with regards,
vaithy

Vaithy,

Thanks for your suggestion, but believe it or not, KDE 4 is the future of the DE. In the coming times, KDE 3.5 will stop getting updated upstream (by the KDE developers themselves). You might have already noticed this trend with the recent developments within the KDE team. The KDE 4 branch is getting updated very regularly, but KDE 3.5's last update was KDE 3.5.10, which was more than 8 months ago.

Also, with KDE 4.2, it has changed a lot. Even all the critics, who earlier used to heavily criticize KDE 4 for its lack of features and usefulness, changed their minds over this release. KDE 4.2 comes with a whole lot of improvements and many features ported from the KDE 3.5 branch.

So, it is inevitable for us, or any other Linux distro for that matter, to go with KDE 4 in the future. No one would want to continue using the older version of the DE when a newer one is already available.

And don't worry about KDE 4 much. Almost the same thing happened years ago when the users saw a transition from KDE 2 to KDE 3. I am sure, at the end of the day, you (and most of the other regular Linux users), are going to like KDE 4. :)

vaithy

In the zone
Dear anurag,
I have already tested kde 4-2 in Mandriva 2009.1 alpha and fedora 11 alpha. 4.2 is really good than its preceeding version it is hugging too much resources,and still some functions are not properly working.. One example is, I am using BSNL EVDO usb modem on my laptop which work well on kde 3.5..But in 4.2 despitethe same settings in kppp and amarok,k3b applications need some improvement..
The fundamental strength of linux is it is for the, "Am Admi" category and many have old jaded computer box with scant RAM and harddisk space.. they are not the Marketing target for MS goons..But for Linux they are..
So my suggestion is kde developer should not abandaned kde 3-5 but they can develope 4-2 for business clients..both can co-exist

with regards
vaithy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom