GPU advice needed

limpness

Broken In
Hi,

Recently my brother got a config from his savings and he wants to get a graphics card for his PC.

His configuration is:
Athlon 2 X4 635
Gigabyte 880GMA Mobo
2 GB RAM

But the problem is that since he had to upgrade his entire cabby from his old P3 he didn't have money for a new monitor. His monitor is a Compaq 17 inch CRT (It's still has awesome high bright colors though).

The budget is 7-7.5k

Thanks

giprabu

In the zone
try saving another 1K and buy Radeon HD5770.. It will run all the latest game at max graphics in ur monitor.. In future even if you upgrade to a 20-22" monitor, this card will easily manage.. :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
What PSU or SMPS you are having? Is it a local PSU or the one which is coming with the Cabinet? IF yes, then you have to get a good PSU to handle a good graphics card.

ssb1551

Technomancer
:+1: with giprabu as well as Cilus on their respective points.Save up 1k more n go for HD5770 n before that make sure you get a good n reliable PSU!!

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
if good PSU (no local stuff or Cooler Master Extreme Powers): HD5770 (after saving ~1k).

if bad or cheap PSU: FSP Saga II 400W/500W + HD5670 512Mb.

OP
L

limpness

Broken In
Thank for replying guys:-D

Well i checked.The PSU is iball and it came with the cabby.

1)Would you guys say it would be better to buy 5770 over 5670?2-3k can be arranged in a week or so_Only problem is the number of brands available.We'll be buying from Nehru Place.

There's Sapphire,XFX etc.Which is better?:?

2)Then there's different kind in onboard heatsink fans.I keep seeing that long brick shape then theres a round one.Kinda confused.Some of same models are more expensive.:?

3)If buying for 8-8.5k a HD5770 based which card should be ?Also from which manufacturer?

4)Neither of us has bought a Graphics card before(were kinda excited) and well 10k is a lot of money so hoping for something that doesn't give any trouble get us into warranty hassles like in that XFX thread.:-|

Oh BTW i think you guys are awesome.Suggesting custom configs to different people every day can't be easy.You guys helped me in not ending up wasting my money.

Thumbs up:-D

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
As your PSU is Iball one, you definitely need to buy a new one.
Now HD 5770 is definitely more powerful than HD 5670. But for running it, you need a little high end PSU too. But for the resolution of a 17" CRT, even HD 5670 will be sufficient.
But HD 5770 will be a little future proof if you buy a LCD in near future. So if you can arrange a another 2-3K then my suggestion will be
ASUS HD 5770 @ 8.2K + Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W @ 2.2K.

For other brands look for Power Color, Sapphire etc. But avoid XFX at all cost.

super64

Broken In

Why not XFX?

:+1: u can get a 5750 for ur budget, but youll have a dull ache in ur heart knowing that for 1k more youll get significant increase in performance.....

Cilus

laborare est orare
Why not XFX?
Recently the build quality of XFX cards have been degraded drastically. A lot of forum members (including me) have faced issues regarding their XFX cards. The cards heat up very quickly and the heat design is very poor. Even their after sell service have been degraded in some areas. So better to avoid them.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Thank for replying guys:-D

Well i checked.The PSU is iball and it came with the cabby.

1)Would you guys say it would be better to buy 5770 over 5670?2-3k can be arranged in a week or so_Only problem is the number of brands available.We'll be buying from Nehru Place.

There's Sapphire,XFX etc.Which is better?:?

2)Then there's different kind in onboard heatsink fans.I keep seeing that long brick shape then theres a round one.Kinda confused.Some of same models are more expensive.:?

3)If buying for 8-8.5k a HD5770 based which card should be ?Also from which manufacturer?

4)Neither of us has bought a Graphics card before(were kinda excited) and well 10k is a lot of money so hoping for something that doesn't give any trouble get us into warranty hassles like in that XFX thread.:-|

Oh BTW i think you guys are awesome.Suggesting custom configs to different people every day can't be easy.You guys helped me in not ending up wasting my money.

Thumbs up:-D

1,2,3,4.>Like Cilus already pointed out HD5670 is enough for a 17"CRT but it'll choke when a 20"/22" full HD LCD monitor is used so its best to go for HD5770.Anyways a few years down the line u might even get a LCD monitor so its better to invest in 5770 now.
As for brands any1 of the following will do - Sapphire,MSI,Asus,Powercolor n others(can't remember now) just avoid XFX.Dunno how good is Biostar's 5770!!

super64

Broken In
OR you can wait for NVIDIA GTX460SE

Stripped down version of the GTX460.....

Hopefully priced at around 8k...:-D

OP
L

limpness

Broken In
youll have a dull ache in ur heart knowing that for 1k more youll get significant increase in performance.....

Mmm.......:cry:

Now HD 5770 is definitely more powerful than HD 5670. But for running it, you need a little high end PSU too. But for the resolution of a 17" CRT, even HD 5670 will be sufficient.
But HD 5770 will be a little future proof if you buy a LCD in near future. So if you can arrange a another 2-3K then my suggestion will be
ASUS HD 5770 @ 8.2K + Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W @ 2.2K.

But HD5770 will allow to play latest games on 17" at high settings?Since HD69** series being launched how much time will it be before and HD5770 become old?
If HD5670 starts to choke up on a LCD then does it mean HD5770s performance will also decrease if i add a LCD?

I am thinking of Sapphire or MSI (whichever is cheaper).

Need some help for the PSU though.Bro has 3 HDDs on his PC so i was thinking of FSP SAGA II 500(as it's cheap).Will it be enough?

Seriously i don't want PC components (and my bro) to go boom.Bro doesn't even come with a warranty.

Any other more better suggestions are welcome upto 4k.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ HD5670 512Mb (or 1Gb) can be used to game on HD (20", 1600X900) resolution at max. its not meant to be used in Full HD gaming. so is HD5770. though HD5770 can be used for Full HD gaming now but in future the games will surely tax it lot.

so if you upgrade to 22", well you need more horsepower. but for 17", HD5670 will be sufficient.

super64

Broken In
Why dont you buy your PSU from a reputed brand (Corsair)?
They have the 430CX and 400CX for around 2.7k.
Considering that they're 80+ rated, they'll be able to handle your 5770 with ease.

If you settle for a cheap PSU (Intex, Zebronics), it'll cook your PC alive. :flamethrower:
They're meant for PC's which do nothing but play music and surf the web.:))

Piyush

Lanaya
I see you have FSP 400w^^
How is FSP?Will the Saga II 500w be sufficient with HD5770(Can arrange 2-3k)?

FSP 400W is a good PSU
if u r gonna go for 5770 then but at least gigabyte 460W at 2.2k or FSP Saga II 500W which ever is cheap
they both will easily handle 5770

and if u dont have any future monitor upgrade plans
then HD 5670 is enough for u along with FSP 400W

Top Bottom