Got the N82 and I m loving it

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
uppalpankaj

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
The sales package contents did not consist of a memory card adapter. Did anyone get it along with the memory card in the package?

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
in my place there is no Sandisk card available frm today , there is no distributor for that

only knigston cards are available , is kingston cards are good enough ?? for N82

OP
uppalpankaj

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok..have u got the Dev certificate from the site mentioned by Rajhot....
& have u hacked ur N82..:-D

im failed 2 get the cert frm dat site...:cry:

No, I have not been able 2 do the hacking as well as I also haven't got the dev certificate..

For kingston card i got the adapter.

U must have purchased the Kingston card separately..But did u get a memory card adapter in the sales package box when u bought the N82????

Last edited:

myself.gourav

Right off the assembly line
A bit offtopic, is it possible to run flash themes on N82? If yes, someone please tell me how.

Secondly, I am not able to update my phone. After about 15-20% download it gives a warning which says something like, "connect your phone directly and not via the usb port."

What should i do?

rajhot

S60 rocks
The Nokia N82 on a Belated Pedestal

Tucked away in my office for days on end, exploring the frontiers of technology, at least in the smartphone world, it's exciting to tinker with the latest touchscreen smartphone, be it Nokia 5800 or N97 or Samsung Omnia HD. In such circumstances, having a phone throw up weird errors or having to rebuild the OS isn't a big problem and is, after a fashion, kind of fun. Life on the bleeding edge, as it were.

But heading out into the 'real world', as I've been doing for the past week, a world inhabited by parents and cousins and grandchildren (not mine), it's best to fall back on hardware and software that's going to be 100% reliable. In every respect.

Out and about in inclement weather

Which is why I headed off with the trusty Nokia N82. I know, I know, I was a bit dismissive of the N82's styling when it first appeared, but as time has gone on the phone has become more and more appealing. So a bit of a U-turn from yours truly, but:

At the time I think we all thought that Nokia's OMAP2-based graphics acceleration was going to be standard in all following phones, or maybe improved upon.
At the time we all thought that Xenon flash was going to be retained for at least some future models.
At the time we expected that the protective lens shutter would also be standard.
And at the time the VGA video recording, neatly focussed for action within a metre or two, was also expected to continue, as it had on the N95 and N95 8GB (plus E90) before it.
And, as such, there was no reason to lift the N82 up onto a pedestal, since future devices would obviously exceed it.

Curiously, the machinations of Nokia's platform plans has meant that the likes of the N95 and N82 haven't been equalled since, with the N79, N85 and N96, plus the 5800 XpressMusic, all lacking in most of these ways. No graphics acceleration (which makes a big difference when playing back video and some games), no Xenon flash (the only other smartphone with this is the [also S60-powered] Samsung G810, which is a let down in other areas), the N96 and 5800 both lack any kind of lens protection, and all bar the 5800 have had their video recording crippled by being focussed on infinity.

N82 5mp camera and Xenon flash

To all of which, all I've got to say is 'Gah!'. At AAS, we often get accused of being Nokia fanboys, but the truth is that we speak our minds and that we divulge honest opinions, with this rant being one of them(!)

And so it was that I headed into the British spring (rain, cloud, cold, gloomy/cold public buildings) with the N82. And, to be honest, there isn't another phone/smartphone in the world that could have done everything I did with it during the week.

* I took over a hundred photos, all in 'challenging' conditions. When you're trying to capture ad-hoc moments in the life of an extended family (such as here when distant-living cousins cane together to play), you've got to be extremely quick (shot set up times often need to be less than 3 seconds) and you've got to take whatever conditions you get given. In this case, cloudy gloom outdoors and indoor scenes where the lights often needed to be on. Under these circumstances, the N82's Xenon flash was invaluable - when you've tried Xenon you really can't go back - it freezes action and illuminates like nothing else on earth. The way the N82's camera launches when the shutter slide is opened also makes for a quick experience (though I know the N78 and N85 also match this).

Xenon-lit gloomy museum scene
A typical snap from the trip. This is inside a railway museum, with the reflections off the foreground raincoat showing how dark it really was. And yet the illumination is very bright with Xenon flash. A dual LED flash would have produced much patchier illumination and would also have shown blurring where the children were moving.

* When there's no choice of weather conditions, it's sometimes needed to use your smartphone in the rain. As I've documented before, the N82 seems better than most smartphones at surviving abuse and (here) even light rain. The steam train photo below was taken in light drizzle, for example. No worries about damage to the screen or fascia.

Steaming away in the drizzle

* Back in the family living room, it was the work of 10 seconds to plug the TV out lead into the N82 and give everybody a slide and movie show on the communal 40" TV screen. I don't think everybody could believe that all the images and videos were taken on a phone, though of course you can tell if you know what to look for. Certainly in 'good enough' territory though. The N79, N85 and N96 would have produced blurrier videos on the whole and wouldn't have been half as slick when streaming media through the TV out cable.

TV out in use

* We visited a fair number of venues in attempts to keep the children occupied and Nokia Maps came into its own - having a full real time, voice-guided navigation system on your phone and ready for action in seconds is a huge boon. I also had access to my nephew's TomTom sat-nav unit in the car and we tried the two systems in parallel much of the time. Interestingly, despite the extra (12?) receiver capability, the TomTom cut out several times in terms of the shown route, while the N82 and Nokia Maps allowed me to press on regardless, with no downtime, even when going under bridges or in tree-lined areas - the N82's GPS antenna really is well positioned (especially compared to the travesty that is the positioning on the N95 and N95 8GB). Yes, I know Nokia's online Maps search servers are currently broken for UK (seven character) postcodes, so I had to work around that, but even so the tool did the job for me.

* At night, to get to sleep, and first thing in the mornings, I amused myself by catching up with audio podcasts, streamed over A2DP to my Bluetooth wireless headset. I guess this bit is just showing off to iPhone readers(!) and I could equally well have used a 3.5mm wired headset, but going 'wireless' in this area is still pretty cool and almost every Symbian OS-powered phone now has A2DP so why not use it?

* One family member wanted a cropped version of one of my photos in a hurry (on their phone) and using the N82's built-in image editing it was again the work of a few seconds to crop the picture as needed and then fire it off via Bluetooth. Under a minute elapsed from the ten year old asking and the crop arriving on their device. Not wishing to bash the iPhone yet again, but this still has no basic image editing facilities and no Bluetooth file/object transfer and the same applies to many other popular touchscreen phones.

I'm not blind to the N82's weaknesses, of course. In this case, the smallish and relatively dim screen, which is a limitation when trying to catch up with news in Web and when trying to show off media on-device. I'm not counting the keypad as a weakness anymore, note, because I've found that it's actually more tactile than many other phone keypads and as a result I get less miskeys.

N82 controls and keys

Stability is also a factor when dealing with 'classics' like the N82, with their firmware now (e.g. at v31) extremely mature and crashes almost unheard of. In comparison, my S60 5th Edition-powered 5800 has been locking up several times a day (I know, I know, I push it quite hard) and this was another factor in my switching back to the N82 until Nokia get round to fixing the 5800 up a little more.

Am I right to put the N82 (belatedly) up on a pedestal? Comments welcome.

Steve Litchfield, All About Symbian, 11 April 2009

Source : *www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/The_Nokia_N82_on_a_Belated_Pedestal.php

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Ya dude, go on laugh loud. Although there is nothing wrong with n85 apart from pathetic build quality. It is much better than n82 in many regards but u cant keep using it for a long time without breaking it. Lets see, have any idea abt n86 availability date? Just read a blog yesterday where someone was mentioning that its going to start shipping soon. I think i might wait a bit and see. If n86 is out early then surely i am getting it instead of n82.

and ya n85 cam is not as good as n82 .. and those dual leds are crap .. only good for torch purpose.. lets hope those third generation dual leds in n86 will be some worth .. from now on multiple phone theory is the way to go with n82 being the primary device ..

Last edited:

utsav

damn busy...
ohh am not saying n85 is worse than N82 but what makes it bad is the build quality so me too sticking with N82 until something worthy comes up

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Since spare part is not available,nokia care center is replacing my n85,hence i think its good to wait and see if there is some improvement in n85 before going for n82 .. Also i dont want to get n82 now that n86 is coming in a month or two. Lets see.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
ohh am not saying n85 is worse than N82 but what makes it bad is the build quality so me too sticking with N82 until something worthy comes up

Utsav- believe me , n85 is much better than n82 in many regards. Just a bit inferiour camera, lack of xenon and shoddy build quality is n85' main probs. And the omap platform advantage does not make much of a difference for everyday tasks that s60 phone does apart from few games, a few app that support it and maybe video playback but i have not experienced any difference between the two devices as far as video playback is concerned.

Again n82 is great phone, no doubt abt it.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
Ok guys, i am back with my n82. I got the replacement for my n85 which was faulty as well. Needed the phone badly hence bought n82. It feels so so solid holding in hands comparing to n85. The camera on n82 is surely better than n85. No need to tell abt xenon. The most interesting part is music quality through cx400 is same as on n85 and its a bit louder as well. I got the gps lock within a min. Gps on n82 rocks.

Overall i have to say n82 is indeed much much better than n85.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Ok guys, i am back with my n82. I got the replacement for my n85 which was faulty as well. Needed the phone badly hence bought n82. It feels so so solid holding in hands comparing to n85. The camera on n82 is surely better than n85. No need to tell abt xenon. The most interesting part is music quality through cx400 is same as on n85 and its a bit louder as well. I got the gps lock within a min. Gps on n82 rocks.

:idea:So finally u accepted ,, :!:

rajhot

S60 rocks

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom