Google's search engine becomes new antipiracy weapon

Flash

Lost in speed
Sites that generate too many copyright takedown notices will be moved lower in search rankings. And Google will be busy: Copyright owners flagged more than 4.3 million URLs in the last 30 days alone.

Google search will be less welcoming to sites accused by copyright owners of piracy.
On the company's blog, Google outlined a new measure designed at penalizing sites that generate too many complaints from copyright owners.

"We will begin taking into account a new signal in our rankings: the number of valid copyright removal notices we receive for any given site," Google said in the blog post. "Sites with high numbers of removal notices may appear lower in our results."
This appears to be among the most significant antipiracy measures Google has ever adopted. The company's powerful search engine is the route through which most people on the planet conduct Internet searches. For the past two years, Google has made more and more concessions to copyright owners, who have long demanded that Google take steps to prevent its search engine from aiding copyright infringement.

One of their biggest requests was for accused pirate sites to be blocked from showing up in search results. Copyright owners didn't get that much, but they got something approaching it. What can't be forgotten is that there are all kinds of sites that index and help steer people to sites that share unauthorized film and music files.
In the blog post, Google suggested that the intent of the change is not for the company to become a copyright cop but to help weed out illegitimate sources of music, movies and other digital media.

Source: Google's search engine becomes new antipiracy weapon | Internet & Media - CNET News

Whether this will control piracy really?

By this time, lots of people knew about torrents alone can be searched by torrentz.eu. Whats the point of google here? Is it just for rapidshare-kind of sites? I'm afraid that too can be searched by filestube.com

suyash_123

Techno Freak
this will not help for anti-piracy much.....

it will give them power to block/abandon site even if there are some legal issue .

But other wise that site is full of useful content...

filtering of the Search results is One way to tame the internet in my view... :( :( :(

Google is one of free content provider like youtube, bloggers and other sites and it has lots of copyright videos/stuff, and now he has to block that to from search results ...

We need a Google alternative soon

Bad move by Google

tkin

Back to school!!
Whether this will control piracy really?

By this time, lots of people knew about torrents alone can be searched by torrentz.eu. Whats the point of google here? Is it just for rapidshare-kind of sites? I'm afraid that too can be searched by filestube.com
Torrentz.eu is no longer trustworthy, its taking torrents down against dmca notices, its becoming pretty useless, almost all popular links are removed :-x
*i.imgur.com/JoJ3q.jpg
The only was now is to search directly from tpb/133x/h33t.

this will not help for anti-piracy much.....

it will give them power to block/abandon site even if there are some legal issue .

But other wise that site is full of useful content...

filtering of the Search results is One way to tame the internet in my view... :( :( :(

Google is one of free content provider like youtube, bloggers and other sites and it has lots of copyright videos/stuff, and now he has to block that to from search results ...

We need a Google alternative soon

Bad move by Google
Try Bing.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Is of use for those people who never bothered to look beyond first page of their search result.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Is of use for those people who never bothered to look beyond first page of their search result.

Google can be proud, at this situation.
Innocent netsurfer searches for some movie/songs and Google will say 'No results found', thereby fooling the guy. :p

Theodre

In the zone
Google can be proud, at this situation.
Innocent netsurfer searches for some movie/songs and Google will say 'No results found', thereby fooling the guy. :p

:D:D :rofl: Correct man!!! They all know that everyone start's from google which is why google is their new anti-piracy weapone!!! :D

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
whining pirates..................... :grin: :rolleyes:
hey, but seasoned pirates venture beyond the first page.....
and people have forgotten about the word "noob"

bubusam13

Human
Seriously speaking, Google is not the great search engine anymore. From the day it started censoring our search results... it lost its status. Many a time I find this message in Google -- search results omitted in compliance with DMCA bla bla bla. I was not searching for some pirate contents... then WTH is Google doing. Does it think all its users as thief. A search engine should search webpages, be it good or bad.

I use Duckduckgo now a days.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
do not dance to this evil beat

its cleaning really
if at all nubs wont get at file shares
less spam and ads in comments of uploads
all good

Top Bottom