Google set to introduce Dart, a new structured programming language

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
It's a bird, it's a plane -- it's Dart, Google's soon-to-be-released computer language for structured web programming. Having hoarded dart-related URLs for the past couple of months, Google's confirmed the (previously) secret project on the Goto International Software Development conference website. A couple of Mountain View's finest will make the announcement official in the keynote at the event on October 10th, when presumably we'll find out what it can do. Dart makes a nice addition to Go, JavaScript and Python in Google's coding bag-o-tricks, but there's room for one more -- we're looking at you, Spot.

Source

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Lemme guess... would be a fail as no programmers will depend on this *new* language in any case.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Even I am skeptical on these new language that are coming out of Google's engineers.

Only two thing:
Languages like, GO, and Dart would only be dominant within there own campus, and soon would be replaced by new ones, as modified or created by Google, to suit their own needs.
OR, these are going to revolutionize programming world, just like many of their products already are.

But, I won't bet on the second prediction.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Google, better build tools to enhance productivity with existing programming languages for the myriad of platforms these days, than build your own language.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
A good discussion on Hacker news - Hacker News | Google to announce "new programming language for structured web programming"

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Agree with LFC. It's because keep building new languages just to suit some problems, then trying to solve it through existing languages, doesn't look an optimal solution to me.

Google Engg 1: Man! I can't apply security features to this application, which would let anyone search through a keyword, and then the results of that search can recursively be applied to generate more relevant results, since C++ doesn't support OOPS rigidly.
Google Engg 2: Have you tried JAVA?
E1: Of Course. But it's too much Object Oriented, I need flexibility in accessing objects of other classes, which JAVA is too strict to provide.
E2: .NET?
E1: I don't f**ing like any language, which have anything to do with Microsoft.
E2: GO?
E1: Never! It was created by an employee of opposite wing, I shall never evar use thy language!
E2: So, what are you going to do now?
E1: I know, I will create my OWN language, and call it, ...... Ummm...
E2: hey.. your dart missed the target, better concentrate on your game..
E1: Oh yeah, I shall call it "Dart", which would be a tribute to the time when I was thinking about creating that language. :-D

(later that evening)

E2 (thinking): Hmm.. I know, I have to create another language too, since I want to be a founder of one also.
E2 (still thinking): But, what shall I name it?
(flush the toilet, where he was thinking).
E2 (loudly): Flush! :-D

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Agree with LFC. It's because keep building new languages just to suit some problems, then trying to solve it through existing languages, doesn't look an optimal solution to me.

Google Engg 1: Man! I can't apply security features to this application, which would let anyone search through a keyword, and then the results of that search can recursively be applied to generate more relevant results, since C++ doesn't support OOPS rigidly.
Google Engg 2: Have you tried JAVA?
E1: Of Course. But it's too much Object Oriented, I need flexibility in accessing objects of other classes, which JAVA is too strict to provide.
E2: .NET?
E1: I don't f**ing like any language, which have anything to do with Microsoft.
E2: GO?
E1: Never! It was created by an employee of opposite wing, I shall never evar use thy language!
E2: So, what are you going to do now?
E1: I know, I will create my OWN language, and call it, ...... Ummm...
E2: hey.. your dart missed the target, better concentrate on your game..
E1: Oh yeah, I shall call it "Dart", which would be a tribute to the time when I was thinking about creating that language. :-D

(later that evening)

E2 (thinking): Hmm.. I know, I have to create another language too, since I want to be a founder of one also.
E2 (still thinking): But, what shall I name it?
(flush the toilet, where he was thinking).
E2 (loudly): Flush! :-D

Hahaaha nice one mate. Its was hilarious.:lol:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks to d6bmg and vickybat! It was meant to be.. :)
I am glad, I can be humorous! :bananana:

Tech&ME

Banned
He He it is like saying, i have a kid, but i don't like to send them to

1. St. Johns .......... b'coz they charge very high.

2. Kendriya Vidyala ...... b'coz that a govt. run school, no way, i can't send my kid to those.

3. (thinking...) so what do I do NOW.

4. HEY ! OPEN A SCHOOL YOURSELF and put your own kid in it........ :grin: :grin:

(So, if every parent on earth starts to think this way, we are going to have as many schools as the kids themselves on this EARTH!!)

The moral of the story is : If every company starts to make their own programming language, we are going to have lakhs and lakhs of languages floating around..... making it hard job for job seekers who either have to learn each company specific language or all of them :grin: :grin:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow, Tech&Me, you nailed it!
It was hard for me to express what you did in the last para. Kudos to that!

OP
KDroid

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Without knowing anything ... Just opposing it , before it launchs. Shame on u man....

Yeah!

Thanks to d6bmg and vickybat! It was meant to be.. :)
I am glad, I can be humorous! :bananana:

There isn't enough innovation in the programming language space. The more people we have writing languages and the more people using them, the more quickly we'll discover new patterns and improved ways of doing things. Improved programming languages with better abstractions, better guarantees can allow whole new classes of programs to be written. Of course, they could be written using traditional techniques but the complexity and difficulty involved can make them almost impossible.

It wasn't hilarious at all. Google isn't bringing out a new language to suit its problem. It's trying to bring out something better. Even if it is, what's the point in criticizing them? What if it proves to be better than the current alternatives? Sorry to say, but your post was quite hypocritical.

This was to be officially announced @ GOTO Conference ( October 10th - October 12th ). It's time.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Its' been announced.

Monday, October 10, 2011
Dart: a language for structured web programming
By Lars Bak, Software Engineer, Dart Team

Today we are introducing an early preview of Dart, a class-based optionally typed programming language for building web applications. Dart’s design goals are:

• Create a structured yet flexible language for web programming.
  • Make Dart feel familiar and natural to programmers and thus easy to learn.
  • Ensure that Dart delivers high performance on all modern web browsers and environments ranging from small handheld devices to server-side execution.

Dart targets a wide range of development scenarios: from a one-person project without much structure to a large-scale project needing formal types in the code to state programmer intent. To support this wide range of projects, Dart has optional types; this means you can start coding without types and add them later as needed. We believe Dart will be great for writing large web applications.

Dart code can be executed in two different ways: either on a native virtual machine or on top of a JavaScript engine by using a compiler that translates Dart code to JavaScript. This means you can write a web application in Dart and have it compiled and run on any modern browser. The Dart VM is not currently integrated in Chrome but we plan to explore this option.

The language comes with a set of basic libraries and tools for checking, compiling, and running Dart code, all of which will evolve further with your participation. We've made the language and preliminary tools available as open source on dartlang.org. Check out the site to give feedback, learn more about Dart, and participate in its development.

We look forward to rapidly evolving Dart into a solid platform for structured web programming.

Source - Dart: a language for structured web programming - The official Google Code blog

The official Dart language site - *www.dartlang.org/

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quite frankly, I don't give a damn about a mere Javascript alternative.

Top Bottom