Google proposes a JavaScript replacement: Dart

Is Dart the JavaScript replacement we need?

• Yes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • We don't need any JavaScript replacement.

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Harivel

Broken In
*www.thinkdigit.com/FCKeditor/uploads/dart-logo.png
JavaScript is a language that owes its popularity to the fact that it is the one and only standard web scripting language that is supported in each and every browser. As web applications are becoming increasingly complicated, JavaScript's weaknesses are becoming ever more relevant.
There are already efforts to use alternative languages on the web. For example, Google's own GWT allows one to develop web code using Java, which is then compiled to JavaScript to be run in a browser. Another language haXe can also be used to write web code that will eventually be converted to JavaScript to run in the browser. Finally CoffeeScript too compiles directly to JavaScript, while adding numerous features and a cleaner syntax.
Now Google has done the same with a brand new language they call Dart. Dart has the following design goals:
  • Create a structured yet flexible language for web programming.
  • Make Dart feel familiar and natural to programmers and thus easy to learn.
  • Ensure that Dart delivers high performance on all modern web browsers and environments ranging from small handheld devices to server-side execution.
Code written in Dart can be compiled to JavaScript, similar to the other languages mentioned above, however the more important thing here is that Dart can run in its own VM like JavaScript and become a full-fledged member of the web. This is not to say that CoffeeScript or haXe couldn't do the same just that with Google behind it, the likeliness of Google Chrome shipping with a Dart VM that allows web applications written in HTML + CSS + Dart is a lot higher.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've changed the poll question from:
Do we need Replacement for JavaScript???
Yes - No - Maybe

to something more definitive.

Is Dart the JavaScript alternative we need?
Yes - No - We don't need any JavaScript replacement.

Sarath

iDota
I wish I knew what javascript was. :?

Either ways I am for the newer and better like UEFI instead of BIOS

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ You see, these menus on webpages, buttons which show/hide things on a webpages et cetera. These are generally done using JavaScript. :)

abhidev

Human Spambot
I don't think we require a replacement...instead of that why don't they update it rather than having multiple languages...

@sygeek: why do u think so?

Top Bottom