Google Nexus 4 Thread

dan4u

Took Off!!!
This might help anyone wondering how good is the screen of nexus 4
Nexus Screen when Compared with S3,Note 2 and iphone 4s

The nexus 4 screen is good, but not the best, the screen does look washed out. I'm using the franco kernel and there's an option to auto-calibrate the screen, it looks much better after that, blacks look more darker and colours look more richer.

prudhivisekhar

In the zone
The nexus 4 screen is good, but not the best, the screen does look washed out. I'm using the franco kernel and there's an option to auto-calibrate the screen, it looks much better after that, blacks look more darker and colours look more richer.

When android next version releases, do we have to revert back to stock kernel? and can you mention how to install franco kernel?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
When android next version releases, do we have to revert back to stock kernel? and can you mention how to install franco kernel?

yea you'll probably have to revert back to stock kernel when the next android releases, but franco kernel app allows you to backup your current kernel and revert back whenever you want without any hassle.
franco kernel app is a paid app on playstore, there's also a free version that allows to download the kernel (but doesn't include screen calibration and many other features).
but before you can install any custom kernel/ROM you need to root the device, download the Nexus 4 toolkit from this thread and follow the procedure in the thread.

Superayush

Tech lover
Mystery Snapdragon 800 LG device tops GLBenchmark charts - GSMArena.com news

Nexus 5 already?? :O now people planning to buy nexus 4 guess its best to wait till 15 may EVEN IF GOOGLE RELEASES NEXUS 4 IN INDIA SOON as it will be obsolete :)

quagmire

Allllright !
Mystery Snapdragon 800 LG device tops GLBenchmark charts - GSMArena.com news

Nexus 5 already?? :O now people planning to buy nexus 4 guess its best to wait till 15 may EVEN IF GOOGLE RELEASES NEXUS 4 IN INDIA SOON as it will be obsolete :)

^Holy ****! People planning to buy flagship smartphones better slow down.. Looks like Snapdragon gonna unleash its fire soon.. :flamethrower:
So the rumours of 5.2",1080p screen LG "beast" might be true after all..

By saying N4 will obsolete soon inspite of future updates from Google, you imply phones with same processors (SXZ, HTC J, Optimus G) are already outdated.. :lol: :wink:

ajaymailed

In the zone
The phones with Snapdragon 600, 800, Exynos 5 Octa, Tegra 4 will probably be costlier than phones with Snapdragon S4 Pro. Optimus G came with S4 Pro way back in August 2012. HTC One S came with Krait Dual Core even earlier in like April.
I am not sure LG wont release the new phone into the market for long time from now, and by that time, the rumours for Galaxy S5 and some Xperia/HTC phone will be on the way with even more powerful hardware. This is a continuous cycle, I am hoping Nvidia will pull a surprise with Tegra 4.

Just hardware shouldnt be the sole reason, Galaxy S3 was released just four months earlier compared to Optimus G, Exynos Quad was no match to Snapdragon S4 Pro, there was like a generation difference in the design.
When it comes to overall performance, things were much different. Here is what GSM Arena has to say.

LG Optimus G v Samsung Galaxy S III: Beast wars - GSMArena.com

The LG Optimus G and the Samsung Galaxy S III are the best Android can currently offer. Picking between a smartphone that came to the market five months ago and one that is just arriving might have seemed easy at first, but after the somewhat surprising finding in this review, things are less clear cut.

The LG Optimus G chipset is so vastly powerful that we expected it to swim laps around the Galaxy S III Exynos, but the smartphone was obviously let down by its software support. The LG flagship managed to win on many occasions, but the differences were pretty minor. The only place where the Optimus G was able to give its competitor a real trashing was GPU performance at 1080p resolution. On the other hand, the LG Optimus G lost the web browsing performance battle, which is one of the most common applications of smartphones these days.

The 13 megapixel camera came as another disappointment to us. LG made quite a big deal about it, but as we found out it's not able to offering any real life advantage over the Samsung Galaxy S III 8MP shooter. Even worse - the Optimus G video recording comes seriously short of the Galaxy S III footage. Don't get us wrong - the LG Optimus G does some pretty good photos and decent videos, but if we had to pick one of these two for its overall camera performance it would probably be the Galaxy S III.

Where the LG Optimus G comes out on top is design. It's all subjective, of course, and it might be that the Galaxy S III has been around longer so we are getting a bit bored with it, but we find the LG smartphone to be better looking than it. The extra gig of RAM is also a nice thing to have and makes the Optimus G more future-proof than its competitor.

So on which of those two should you spend your hard-earned cash? It depends what you are looking to get from the deal really. If you are going SIM-free and it's value for money you are after, then by all means go for the Galaxy S III. Judging by the current pre-order prices the Optimus G will cost notably more than its competitor when it launches. The Galaxy S III will let you save about 150 euro and still give you impressively solid smartphone experience and even treat you to a newer Android release. Not to mention that the microSD card slot allows for extremely cheap memory expansion.

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
After buying Nexus 4. I get to know there is not much use of getting a high end phone in general. Hardware is not everything. Software upgrades and optimizations are more essential than any other thing for a phone. This is why iOS (iphone 5) is still survive pretty well even with 1Ghz dual core processor. For a google nexus user it's the biggest thing that one will get the updates first. Completely lag free interface, everything buttery smooth. Just like iOS. In other words nexus products come in that sorta that class.
2GB of RAM is more than enough. No matter how intense I use it doesn't cross over 1GB. May be key lime pie will occupy more. So, it is future proof.
And whoever looking to get phone, should get one as soon as possible. Reading rumors and waiting for something is complete waste of time. Some other rumor come out and you will wait again and it goes on. The world of mobile tech specially this android is jumping like a kangaroo. Previously, a new generation comes out every year but now companies have started to launch after 6-8 months. :p Most of the time we will only use social networking sites, listen music, use a few apps, play some timepass games and take some random pictures. That's it. :)

Last edited:

shreymittal

Being Human
After buying Nexus 4. I get to know there is not much use of getting a high end phone in general. Hardware is not everything. Software upgrades and optimizations are more essential than any other thing for a phone. This is why iOS (iphone 5) is still survive pretty well even with 1Ghz dual core processor. For a google nexus user it's the biggest thing that one will get the updates first. Completely lag free interface, everything buttery smooth. Just like iOS. In other words nexus products come in that sorta that class.
2GB of RAM is more than enough. No matter how intense I use it doesn't cross over 1GB. May be key lime pie will occupy more. So, it is future proof.
And whoever looking to get phone, should get one as soon as possible. Reading rumors and waiting for something is complete waste of time. Some other rumor come out and you will wait again and it goes on. The world of mobile tech specially this android is jumping like a kangaroo. Previously, a new generation comes out every year but now companies have started to launch after 6-8 months. :p Most of the time we will only use social networking sites, listen music, use a few apps, play some timepass games and take some random pictures. That's it. :)

You are damm lucky..:p

shreymittal

Being Human
Thanks! but why? You can get Nexus 4 too at the same price by using 7.5% flat discount on e-next page of ebay.in :)

Yeah but my exaams are going on and will be over aftr a month and i am bankrupt
Mere papa pehe (money) exaams ke baad denge:(

rider

as Kratos
Google LG Nexus 4 | LG E960 | 16GB *BRAND NEW* (Factory Unlocked) | eBay

Yeah but my exaams are going on and will be over aftr a month and i am bankrupt
Mere papa pehe (money) exaams ke baad denge:(

Alright! :lol: Wait for a month. It will not get older, but may be available at cheaper price.

kapilove77

Padawan

You just answered my all question before i ask them just now. Now i am confirmed to buy it. Gonna buy it locally for 25k(used). How is this deal?

dan4u

Took Off!!!

tried any different rom's?

rider

as Kratos
You just answered my all question before i ask them just now. Now i am confirmed to buy it. Gonna buy it locally for 25k(used). How is this deal?

For a used phone the price is pretty much high. You can get brand new for 25.7k from the link above.

tried any different rom's?

Why should I try ROMs? Stock Vanilla Jelly Bean 4.2.2 is perfect for me and I am pretty much satisfied. I installed over 150 apps. I will keep the phone as pure as possible. Unlocking, rooting etc have chances to get bricked. So why to take risk and for little more advantage?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Why should I try ROMs? Stock Vanilla Jelly Bean 4.2.2 is perfect for me and I am pretty much satisfied. I installed over 150 apps. I will keep the phone as pure as possible. Unlocking, rooting etc have chances to get bricked. So why to take risk and for little more advantage?

well its always good to know what else is out there, you know the nexus series is not the typical mainstream phone, its meant to be messed around with. Google's rom/kernel is not always the best :wink:, and the Nexus line is one of the most modded/rooted devices, you'll find hundreds of forums/articles/videos discussing various tweaks................ in the future you should definitely consider different roms/kernels, the gamma correction (for screen) is alone worth the trouble. and the probability of bricking while rooting/unlocking is minimal .....

rider

as Kratos
well its always good to know what else is out there, you know the nexus series is not the typical mainstream phone, its meant to be messed around with. Google's rom/kernel is not always the best :wink:, and the Nexus line is one of the most modded/rooted devices, you'll find hundreds of forums/articles/videos discussing various tweaks................ in the future you should definitely consider different roms/kernels, the gamma correction (for screen) is alone worth the trouble. and the probability of bricking while rooting/unlocking is minimal .....

Google nexus series always not much in mainstream because of galaxy s series and lack of bloatwares. I know there are hundreds of mods available but I don't have any technical knowledge about what I am doing. Let see in future when the phone gets old i might try. I checked the wug fresh toolkit to unlock and root and i was almost going to process but some xda member told me use the coding process or you might have chances to get bricked by toolkit. I frighten and close all this stuff and decided to use vanilla.

Top Bottom