goflex keeps disconnecting

clmlbx

Technomancer
I have seagate 500GB usb3.0 external hard-disk that keeps disconnecting by itself.. disconnection is so frequent that you can't even see folder contents..

I am connecting it to usb 2.0 slot..

Let me mention few points

1. I have little old machine so I don't have window 7 drivers installed

2. I have low generic smps installed

3. I have one internal 500Gb hard-disk with 5 partitions

4. my external hard-disk has 4-5 partitions.

Also let me mention that it works perfectly well on other computers

On my computer It did not worked even in safe mod

pc spec: -

Interl c2d 1.8ghz
intel mb D946gzis
4Gb DDR2 Ram
windows 7 OS with sp1

Please guys help me with this problem

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Only with this drive or any other USB 3.0 drive? Are you using front panel connectors or the one at the rear I/O

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
well this is the only drive I have which is usb 3.0 .. I am using rear one.. I don't have front panels ... very old chasis

Cilus

laborare est orare
That problem happens either for poor USB data cable that you are using for connecting the HDD or the USB socket of the HDD is damaged.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
That problem happens either for poor USB data cable that you are using for connecting the HDD or the USB socket of the HDD is damaged.

Unlikely.

Also let me mention that it works perfectly well on other computers

Most likely there's something wrong with your USB ports, considering you're using a very old setup. Its also possible that the 5V rail from the psu is not supplying enough power to the USB drive. The much older USB drives used to come with a USB Y cable, of which the second ones helps to pull power in. You don't need to do that in USB 3.0 and I doubt you get y cables for these. You can try buying USB 3.0 PCI card if you have a slot on your motherboard, but no guaruntees it will work.

Unless you are not willing to invest, get a new processor, motherboard, RAM and power supply. Do not skip on the psu, or plan to buy it after upgrading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom