GNIIT Course---------Is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
My Personal advice like these Centers... if ur planning do join some training centers like these... Better ask some of the ppl who is currently learning there.. atlest listen to 10 ppl... then come to a conclusion.. weather to join or not... as far as i know GNIIT is worthless... waste of money... :)

amit_at_stg

Broken In
these institutes performance fully depends on their faculty, you cant say for how long will there be a good faculty in an institute.

suave_guy

pedal to metal
see if thats a scenario than i wud suggest that along with ur garduation pursue doeacc 'A' level which has much better recognition and creditibility than GNIIT...moreover if in case one has done 'A' Level than he might be able to do mca in 2 yrs instead of 3 yrs...

i'm going to give my final two exams this july for 'A' level and also the project...after this my 'A' level will be finished....

now generally mca is for 3 yrs but since i've 'A' level and i'm already a graduate so 1 year will be exempted for my mca....i've already got admission in mba so i'm gonna puruse mba full time which is for two years and along with that i'm gonna do mca via distance learning which will also be for 2 yrs thx to doeacc 'A' level otherwise it wud have taken 1 extra year to complete my mca...now after 2 yrs i'll be ready to take on the corporate world armed with two master degrees....

and 'A' level(its equivalent to PGDCA) is more comprehensive than GNIIT...just make sure that while doing ur grad pursue 'A' level rt from the first year and by the time u've finished ur grad, ur A level will also be finished i.e. within 3 yrs and moreover 'part time' A level wont exert any pressure on ur grad studies coz u'll just have to give two exams every six months and u just have to attend classes for arnd 2 hrs every alternate days(i dint even attended classes)...or maybe on weekends

just make sure that u pursue doeacc A level from a good institution

hope this advice helps u...

ENjoy...

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
OK Picture this:

1. You spend 4 lac+ on this GNIIT course.
2. You either go to the course for learning the things or just go for the sake of a damn job after you're done.
3. You *might* get placed in some IT company. In Chennai, they placed students at Ramco Systems (yes, that cement company). The company is running in loss as far as I've heard.
4. So you earn around 8k (or even less) during the "training". I can't imagine for long they'll train you, does any training take more than 2-3 months? (most of the IT Companies take only 1-2 months for training)
5. You're gonna give NIIT 50% of what you earn for 6 months. ( I dunno the exact figure)
6. So if you earn 8k during "training", then you'll be giving 24k to NIIT and that's apart from the 4L that you already paid them.

Do you want all this? You wanna work in a company that's running in loss. Working for a small (and upcoming) company is different from working in a company that's running in loss.

Instead apply to IT companies on your own. They'll call you for Tests+GD+PI. If you're good, they'll take you in.

@suave_guy,
Where are you gonna study your MBA/PGDBM? I thought you already did your MCA! How much will you study man? Wow, good going!!

suave_guy

pedal to metal
i'll be doing mba from IILM, gurgaon....

no u might be confused, i'm pursuing A level and not mca, will start mca this year after clearing my A level exams....

ENjoy...

Najesh

Broken In
Well it straightly depends on ,what kind of student we r,for me ,i believe that they r good 2 teach d basics,and i don't require any basic course.

coolendra

Neil is Here...
drgrudge said:
OK Picture this:

1. You spend 4 lac+ on this GNIIT course.
2. You either go to the course for learning the things or just go for the sake of a damn job after you're done.
3. You *might* get placed in some IT company. In Chennai, they placed students at Ramco Systems (yes, that cement company). The company is running in loss as far as I've heard.
4. So you earn around 8k (or even less) during the "training". I can't imagine for long they'll train you, does any training take more than 2-3 months? (most of the IT Companies take only 1-2 months for training)
5. You're gonna give NIIT 50% of what you earn for 6 months. ( I dunno the exact figure)
6. So if you earn 8k during "training", then you'll be giving 24k to NIIT and that's apart from the 4L that you already paid them.

hey a guy doing GNIIT in software engg. pays them 84000+12.2 % tax.. that comes around a lakh... so thats 1 thing....

also i hav seeen guys gettin 18000 as their first pay (but thats a exception) usually one gets around 10000 as startin salary ...

but i wud suggest dont go for their placement...
do ur GNIIT & apply on ur own !!!

wat say ?????????

harmax

Journeyman
i wud not recommend GNIIT,rather go for modular courses,and certifications which will giv u lot more value for ur money, for eg join for java and get sun certification,niit will help u for tat,by the way as many people above hav said the material they giv at niit is excellent,but most often the staff is ill informed and and lab support sux

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
@ Drgrudge

I agree with him...

@ amit_at_stg

That's why i m asking to enquiry the students who are learing there.. so that we can decide weather we can join? or is it worth the money?

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
hmm...

I wud say this..
you pay only about 1 lakh+ for whole course incl. the taxes, and not 4 lakh...

the next thing is that the person who completes 4 semester course, will get placed in something called PP(Professional Practise or something) which is actually like the in-plant training which engg. students do during/before 3rd year...
for this u will get 3 chances to get placed...
after this 6 months, u will get another chance (many chances)to get placed. this is the REAL placement... u pay 10K by this time for ur PP and then u r placed acc. to ur performance during the course. In fact, if ur PP company likes u, then will give u better salary and try to keep u back...

It is during the second placement that cos. like Infosys and Cognizant dive in to grab students...

So unlike wat others have said above, NIIT placements are actually good. But the only factor being
1. U shud get above 75% (distinction) in degree
2. U shud get above 80% in NIIT avg. of total which shud be quite easy if u put in 2 hours effort per day... or 4+ hours per day one week before exams atleast!!!

Hope this sorts out some issues...

Cheers,
Praveen.

Disclaimer: I am neither affliated to NIIT, nor am I benefitted by any way due to my comments above.
In fact, I quit NIIT due to the lack of in-depth training there,
otherwise, if ur only aim to join there is to get a IT job and not to be a really cool programmer comparable to those world-wide, better learn by urself.
if u wanna get some really good IT job even if u r not an Engg grad, best place is NIIT...

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Hmm.. it was was a typo abt that 4 lac thing. I knew it was around 1 lac. Apologies.

The company might take u in after the "training" only if you're good. My point is if you're good anyway why waste 1.25 lac (inc the money u have to pay NIIT when you're "training")? You can appy on your own and you can get a job. I dont see any reason why NIIT needs to come in at this point of time.

Like Praveen said, if you an non-engg graduate, then maybe NIIT is a good bet to get placed in an IT company. Otherwise it's waste of time and money.

I don't think anyone will go for modular courses,and certifications just for knowledge. Even if thats the case there are better options than NIIT like suave says.

Another thing is most of my friends (who live in our neighbourhood) go to NIIT labs for internet only. But things have changed now..

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
Lots of people learn GNIIT for just the name.. so that when they go for interview they can say i have completed my GNIIT. That dosen't sound good coz IT companies look the in-depth knowledge u have not whether u completed GNIIT or not.. so prove urself to them.. then ur placed there... :)

PS: Dont be too inpressed with their ADS

knight17

In the zone
I have done a shor term course in C programming in Aptech..
Telling about it the teacher was like an express train whenever I asked to slow down the topic coverage she says that the dept.head asked her to do so and we are not the only batch of students....***BAD***

I dont know about NIIT

OP
dheeraj_kumar

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
My mum wanteed me to do GNIIT, i convinced her not to, and now wants me to do the Trinity ESOL Exams now, becuz it would look good in my resume. She also wants me to take up a course in french in alliance francaise ... jeez, why do parents have to be so....annoying?

suave_guy

pedal to metal
french course from alliance francaise is cool...its the best inst to learn french, i did a 2 months introductory course from there and it was excellent but i cud not learn french...my main purpose was the girls there :p and man they were good....

so for alliance francaise i'll say....excellent teaching and amazing crowd...ppl there have a very modern outlook...its a different kind of cultural place alltogether...

alliance francasie delhi's canteen serves best coffee + patty combo..its so tasty

man those nostalgic memories... :)

u must go for alliance francaise...

ENjoy...

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
well i went for html trainging. here is what happened. first i went to niit. the counsellor with lits of perfume came. i started asking what will you teach and for every question there was the same reply i will ask the teacher. some other female came. she somehow found a book and then started telling what she will teach. evrything basic. i left that moment. then i went to uptec. there i joined for a month and paid 1000 in advance. they charge 100 rs a day. well first day. i had already done simple html like common tags. mam comes and starts teaching those. i say to proceed further and her reply "i have only studied till there. other things i will have to revise" so i was sitting like fool for one hour. next day i also studies some more and same thing happened. hell. this continues and in 5 days html over. now javascript. she dosent know a thing. i used that one hour for concentrated self study. 2 days javascript then i said i will study that myself and you teach me something that i dont know. so did visual basic for 3 days. so 3 languages in 10 dyas. and then i didnt pay anymore. so you can guess how much it will benefit you.

N

N1107

Hello..
Im new here..
I hav recently joined GNIIT.
Actually i had given a BJS Xam (NIIT Bhavishya Jyoti Exam on 16th Sept) & wen i reached der 2 collect my scorecard, dey convinced me 2 join it..

Since den, i hav bin searchin info bout GNIIT on d web.. & datz how i landed here.

Itz quite disheartening 2 read ur reviews bout GNIIT. I hav already paid my 1st sem fees.

Now wat shud i do?
My classes havent started yet so i cant really comment of d faculty & teaching..

Shud i wait & watch? Or shud i quit before it starts?

I desperately need guidance..
Plz help me out.. im in a dilemma.. :confused:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
suave_guy said:
NIIT and other silimilar institutions are a total cr@p if you ask me...no job placement creditibility and the faculty is just average...most of the facutly members are computer students who could not get any job elsewhere....

Tell me, in which profession you have good faculty. Normally the best people go into the industry. Very few take up teaching because of the poor pay.
My suggestion take the NIIT curriculum, if you can read on your own and have good will power, buy books and read. If you need that extra push, then go for a course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom