gimme more POWER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have numeric digital 600 ax ups(600va,360W),but the system has 450w corsair smps..512mn ati hd 4850,,,c2d e8400..creative soundbalster audigy value soundcard..msi p45neof..wdc640 green power...4gb transcend 800mhz ram...20x dvd writer ,,,apart frm dat dell us 2208wfp and altec lansing mx 5021(90watts RMS)...
but i get system reboots(quick power on after power off) due to voltage fluctuations...(((while GAMING:mad: )))
but the system remains more or less stable(back up'D) by the ups..while doing normal stuff..in case of power cut////
but then for experiment..i tried switching on/off my power switch manually..with just plain JANE XP booting with no speakers connected..and again the ups cudnt survive..and system 'restarted'

so wot do u suggest???
i wud think of replacing my ups(bought last week) with Numeric 800VA(480WAtts) based on calculation of corsair's 85% effeciency at 450watts,,45watts for monitor=427watts approx
(i would place the speakers separately...if they have surge protection against fluctuations and power cuts........dunno that!!!)

P.S.-I want just protection from fluctuations and sharp power cuts.alone...as backup time is not an issue for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Corsair PSUs need true Sine wave UPS. I dont think yours is one. So, the fluctuations. Let some expert reply. :neutral:

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i have the APC BP500IN 500VA running on one of my PC which has the corsair 620W SMPS..running with no problem whatsoever..the APC UPS is a tower one...

i suggest that if at all you want to buy a new UPS..buy APC one for more ease of mind

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
do change ur ups,cud be a ups overload issue.try to get a APC 800va or Microtek 800va double battery 4 ur system.if u can then get a 1kva ups so that u wont hafta change ups in case pwr demand incs with future upgrades.:)

OP
P

parasharenator

Broken In
i have the APC BP500IN 500VA running on one of my PC which has the corsair 620W SMPS..running with no problem whatsoever..the APC UPS is a tower one...

i suggest that if at all you want to buy a new UPS..buy APC one for more ease of mind
are you sure..about apc 500va..it has power rating of just 300 watts..
my cpu usage(average) would be near to 270watts and max load would be 320watts(calculated as per the components installed)...
but anyway one of my friend's has that one..i would check with that one...
moreover I think spike protection would be better in apc models,or may be something like MICROTEK TUFF POWER+ 600(with microprocessor control_DOES THAT MEAN BETTER switching time/spike protection????
,as numeric models would be having probably higher transfer(switching) time as my numeric ups runs fine during load SHEDDING..only during sharp power cuts..it cant bear the grudge>>>
and if it works..then this would be best..i dont need higher VA..more backup..just PROTECTION for my babe!!!

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
are you sure..about apc 500va..it has power rating of just 300 watts..
my cpu usage(average) would be near to 270watts and max load would be 320watts(calculated as per the components installed)...
but anyway one of my friend's has that one..i would check with that one...
moreover I think spike protection would be better in apc models,or may be something like MICROTEK TUFF POWER+ 600(with microprocessor control_DOES THAT MEAN BETTER switching time/spike protection????
,as numeric models would be having probably higher transfer(switching) time as my numeric ups runs fine during load SHEDDING..only during sharp power cuts..it cant bear the grudge>>>
and if it works..then this would be best..i dont need higher VA..more backup..just PROTECTION for my babe!!!
The calculations you have made are all wrong, I for one know it for sure.
Look at my siggy, my system runs fine with 22" LG LCD monitor no problem and gives me 10min back-up time least. Get the picture?
APC 650va UPS @ 2.85k is gonna solve all your problems for sure.

OP
P

parasharenator

Broken In
The calculations you have made are all wrong, I for one know it for sure.
Look at my siggy, my system runs fine with 22" LG LCD monitor no problem and gives me 10min back-up time least. Get the picture?
APC 650va UPS @ 2.85k is gonna solve all your problems for sure.
I had made those calculations from some site that had huge database of the various components of the CPU...And they were exclusive of monitor(22" Dell US 2208WFP) and speakers(90W RMS)..and yes..I do get 10 mins backup with my numeric UPS,,most of the times,,if only it's able to keep itself on...If not the system restarts and still i get 10mins or so...I hope you got the point,,,,

But lately,i have been hearing kinda "Whirring" sound with my Corsair 450W SMPS..even when the AC power is there(though,plugged through the UPS)

And I too think that APC 650watts would be just fine for me.But people all over have been advising me 800VAs and 1000VAs..I dont know on what basis they are quoting this,,coz...I REPEAT..I dont need great BACKUP time ,,i need great protection!!!!

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
well...dont be mistaken that people suggestin the apc 800va(Back-UPS RS
High Performance Battery Backup & Protection for Business Computers
) wanted to give u more backup..looks like it belongs to a higher range than the 500VA or 650VA models (Back-UPS ES)..

for more power protection/voltage..you should be thinking of the line interactive range or the online UPS range

look at the APC Smart-UPS range
APC Smart-UPS 750VA USB & Serial 230V
Smart-UPS Features & Benefits
Availability
Boost and Trim Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
Gives higher application availability by correcting low and high voltage conditions without using the battery.
Intelligent battery management
Maximizes battery performance, life, and reliability through intelligent, precision charging.
Power conditioning
Protects connected loads from surges, spikes, lightning, and other power disturbances.
Temperature-compensated battery charging
Prolongs battery life by regulating the charge voltage according to battery temperature.
Automatic restart of loads after UPS shutdown
Automatically starts up the connected equipment upon the return of utility power.
Automatic self-test
Periodic battery self-test ensures early detection of a battery that needs to be replaced.
Cold-start capable
Provides temporary battery power when the utility power is out.
Disconnected battery notification
Warns when a battery is not available to provide backup power.
Generator compatible
Ensures clean, uninterrupted power to protected equipment when generator power is used.

more here *www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA750I&tab=features&total_watts=50

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
I had made those calculations from some site that had huge database of the various components of the CPU...And they were exclusive of monitor(22" Dell US 2208WFP) and speakers(90W RMS)..and yes..I do get 10 mins backup with my numeric UPS,,most of the times,,if only it's able to keep itself on...If not the system restarts and still i get 10mins or so...I hope you got the point,,,,

But lately,i have been hearing kinda "Whirring" sound with my Corsair 450W SMPS..even when the AC power is there(though,plugged through the UPS)

And I too think that APC 650watts would be just fine for me.But people all over have been advising me 800VAs and 1000VAs..I dont know on what basis they are quoting this,,coz...I REPEAT..I dont need great BACKUP time ,,i need great protection!!!!
First, I live in Kolkata and get power cuts everyday and also a lot of low voltage problems, and not a single problem so far with my UPS.
I even made a cold boot and it passed fine, so you will have good protection with APC 650va UPS.

Why waste money on UPS when 650va should be fine for you, I mean a better UPS won't give you a more powerfull PC, just a longer back up time.

OP
P

parasharenator

Broken In
First, I live in Kolkata and get power cuts everyday and also a lot of low voltage problems, and not a single problem so far with my UPS.
I even made a cold boot and it passed fine, so you will have good protection with APC 650va UPS.

Why waste money on UPS when 650va should be fine for you, I mean a better UPS won't give you a more powerfull PC, just a longer back up time.
hey mate..it seems u just answered my query,,i would get this one...
but how many units does it protect from surge along with battery backup..I want both...
for my cpu,,and speaker..may be monitor too!!!

well...dont be mistaken that people suggestin the apc 800va(Back-UPS RS
High Performance Battery Backup & Protection for Business Computers
) wanted to give u more backup..looks like it belongs to a higher range than the 500VA or 650VA models (Back-UPS ES)..

for more power protection/voltage..you should be thinking of the line interactive range or the online UPS range

look at the APC Smart-UPS range
APC Smart-UPS 750VA USB & Serial 230V

more here *www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA750I&tab=features&total_watts=50

I came to know Smart-UPS range,,is very costly...do you have any idea..how much smart-ups 750va COSTS???

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
hey mate..it seems u just answered my query,,i would get this one...
but how many units does it protect from surge along with battery backup..I want both...
for my cpu,,and speaker..may be monitor too!!!

I came to know Smart-UPS range,,is very costly...do you have any idea..how much smart-ups 750va COSTS???
It has 3 battery back-up+surge protection and 1 only surge protection(for speakers) along with data line protection and PC connectivity through USB.
You can remotely shutdown/hibernate the PC when battery runs low after power cut and aLso get visual data on battery status.

APC smart UPS 750va should cost no less than 6k. Not sure of exact value.

OP
P

parasharenator

Broken In
Well Guys there's an update!!!
I had bought the APC 650VA BAck-UPS ES as a replacement for my Numeric 500VA ,3months back...
But after using this APC UPS for 2 months,,It shows I need to replace the battery.
I mean WTF...just two months of "USAGE" and battery goes POOF!!!
Thank God,APC has two years warranty...I have already registered the product on the website,today..Please guide me what should I Do,(I know contacting my dealer is the logical step)

foruamit2004

Broken In
didn't read the whole thread, but from experience - Numeric UPS don't respond to the voltage fluctuations properly. i had one(i think the same).. other then that they are good. so basically you should be looking for other brands..APC is too costly for people like me, currently using a POV UPS(700va, 1.6k) battery is F***ed up only in 2-3 months, but i can live with that..

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
I had bought the APC 650VA BAck-UPS ES as a replacement for my Numeric 500VA ,3months back...
But after using this APC UPS for 2 months,,It shows I need to replace the battery.
Thank God,APC has two years warranty...I have already registered the product on the website,today..Please guide me what should I Do,(I know contacting my dealer is the logical step)
Maybe you've got a faulty battery, try the warranty.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Well, giv an email to the APC ppl telling them ur problem (i guess u hv ) registered ur UPS model/part number on the APC's india site!! :)

OP
P

parasharenator

Broken In
have already sent a mail to apc
have also contacted them through phone
received the call from regional apc service centre
and waiting for the apc guy to come today afternoon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom