Gaming Rig for around 130K

maddy

Journeyman
As for CPU cooler I guess Hyper 212 Evo is enough for moderate cooling and I won't do too much overclocking for a considerable amount of time.

Heya super build anand........ one stupid question ^_^ if you wont do max overclock which is why sandy is best even at temp lvls
but if moderate overclock going for ivy might be good idea too........ again this is how i felt

and best build to spend 130k lol ..... :mrgreen:

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Its not that I won't overclock. I am saying that I won't overclock until I need it. When I need it then I'll extract every inch of performance from that CPU and GPU and memory for that matter before upgrading.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
As for CPU cooler I guess Hyper 212 Evo is enough for moderate cooling and I won't do too much overclocking for a considerable amount of time.

@ Skud
I'll add it later in a couple of months after the purchase. This is the reason I am getting a Black Edition to get MAX performance from what normal HDD have to offer apart from Veliocaptor series of course. :p

I think in that case, a normal 7200 rpm drive would do the job. Anyway, your take. :)

maddy

Journeyman
haha coool bro go for it even i am going for almost same build only ivy in it
:wink:
overclock that 2600k as much u can that processor is crazy beast :p

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you understand all that for 4-4.5k. ;)

Anyway, one hell of a system. Waiting for a separate review of the card itself. I hope you will comply. :)

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play

Anyway, one hell of a system. Waiting for a separate review of the card itself. I hope you will comply. :)

Of Course. Why wouldn't I. :p
Please list out some softwares which I'll be using so that I'll get them I don't have them already. :)

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
^^get the rig...i will PM you afterwards :p

if he doesn't am gonna take care of it :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ gameranand

Whoa just checked your thread. That's an amazing rig you're building ,mate. Making me envy :wink: :)

Anyway i just want to ask you something. Everything you selected is more than fine. But my question is, are you planning for a sure multigpu solution in near future or you'll stick with a single gpu?

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ awesome config man:twisted:, btw where are you getting everything from??

Various Online shops.

@ gameranand

Whoa just checked your thread. That's an amazing rig you're building ,mate. Making me envy :wink: :)

Anyway i just want to ask you something. Everything you selected is more than fine. But my question is, are you planning for a sure multigpu solution in near future or you'll stick with a single gpu?

I guess I'll stick with single GPU solution, thats why I am getting the best GPU in the market. :) However in 2-3 years if need really desires then I'll go for multi-GPU but that is highly unlikely. :)
@ OT
Where were you lately ?? Didn't saw you in the forum lately for quite some time.

Don't think that monster will be too kind on a neighbour. ;)

I use headphones only. No speakers, even now I use HD202 Headphones. :p

Whoa man !! Desirable config. Would like to know - To what extent would you be OCing the CPU,GPU ?

When the need arises then to the max with air cooling. :)

Final Rig
OK so finally after much much searching and suggestions I have finally came to this. I made some modifications and I'll tell why.

1. I changed from 2700K to 2600K because many members here said that 2600K is better suited for me + its better overclockable.

2. Changed the Mobo from Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH to Asus Maximus V Formula because of suggestions from sumonpathak that its has the best BIOS and Gigabyte has not that good BIOS and overclocking features.

3. Changed the GPU from Sapphire HD Radeon HD7970 to Asus Matrix HD 7970 Platinum because of permance gain and funky looks + lower power consumption and performance/watt.

4. Changed the PSU from Seasonic to Corsair HX850 because of suggestions from many members here that Corsair has very good CS and that HX850 is enough for me.

5. Rest is same I guess.

Please give input on this final RIG. Do I need to make any modifications or any other thing. As for SSD I'll buy that in some months but as for now I am skipping that because of my budget constraint.

TypeNamePrice
ProcessorIntel Core i7 2600K18100
MotherboardAsus Maximus V Formula20918
RAMGskill RipjawsX 8GB RAM F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL2900
Hard DriveWD 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive Black Edition (WD2002FAEX)10550
Graphics CardAsus Matrix HD7970 Platinum36500
Power SupplyCorsair HX85010450
CabinetCooler Master Storm Trooper ATX11110
KeyboardCorsair Vengeance K906500
MouseLogitech Optical Gaming Mouse G5003550
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO2275
Optical DriveASUS DRW-24B3ST SATA1250
UPSAPC Back-UPS 1100VA (BR1100CI-IN)5111
HeadphonesCorsair Vengeance 15004500
ShipppingShipping Cost in Total1200
TotalTotal Cost Excluding Shipping134912

Thank you all guys for your very valuable suggestions and input. Please comment on this one before I make the final payment. :p

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use headphones only. No speakers, even now I use HD202 Headphones. :p

I was referring to the dual card setup. :neutral: That card will take 3 slots on its own, and as a thumb rule, you should keep at least one slot clear for the next card. And I doubt your normal crossfire connector will be that long.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
I was referring to the dual card setup. :neutral: That card will take 3 slots on its own, and as a thumb rule, you should keep at least one slot clear for the next card. And I doubt your normal crossfire connector will be that long.

See the motherboard. You'll get the answer, The next GPU slot is after 3 slots so I guess ASUS will give that long crossfire bridge. :)

Attachments

• asusmaximumsVformula.jpg
    asusmaximumsVformula.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 82

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ gameranand

A bit busy these days mate.

Ok now about your config, i've got something in my mind that i really want to put up here. Since your budget is exceedingly good and deserves the best performance from day one, the points i'm going to put hopefully should seem worthwhile to you and every other potential buyer or reader.

Your config is absolutely spot on, but as you have no plan to upgrade in the near future, it has room to be tweaked in order to give the best possible performance. Here, i'm referring to that 7970 matrix platinum.

Now i'm well aware about a 7970's potential after the 12.11 driver update and the card you've shortlisted has a massive 14 phase vrm and thus making it potentially the fastest 7970 in the world.
A single 7970 is really good and hassle free and everybody will agree with me here. But they would also agree to the fact that multigpu scaling has also come a long way in terms of providing stability and blistering performance.

Now buddy that budget of yours is really really good and demands the best gpu which the 7970 really is. But from best gpu, i never meant single gpu or more so, i meant the best setup for the budget.

That brings me to put sli and crossfire to the picture. Both of them have come a long way into providing the best best framerate and frametime ( more on this one soon) at a specific budget.
But what i'm gonna say further aren't words of a fan boy but truth put forward in the more simplistic and logistic manner.

Since you are more into gaming and ONLY gaming, i would strongly suggest you consider SLI over crossfire. This might start flamewars between fanboys but in reality, there's nothing fanboyish here. SLI looks to be the best solution in providing fludic gameplay. This might sound wierd but technically ( talking purely about framerates against time graph) AMD solutions after recent driver updates all the way to 12.11 are 10% faster on average. But that is not enough to draw the attention of gamers away from SLI ( Note- this only applies more to multigpu setups than single gpu).

Read the following link thoroughly and carefully analyzing each and every game. Don't just see framerate graphs but read the reviewer's words in each and every page.

HARDOCP - Introduction - GALAXY GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 3GB SLI Review

The test is done between a galaxy gtx 660-ti sli vs 7950 boost crossfire, both of them running on latest drivers i.e 310.33 beta and 12.11 beta respectively.

The results might seem wierd but are interestng. After the boost in clock speeds and driver updates, 7950 crossfire is technically 10% faster than 660-ti sli in almost all games including battlefield 3
and it should have been the unanimous winner in that review as it beats its competition hands down. But that isn't the case as 660-ti sli still received a gold award at the end making it a solid choice
despite the framerate deficit. Like i said it sounds wierd but it isn't.

SLI provides something that crossfire simply does not and that is an inexplicable smoothness to gameplay. By smoothness, the reviewer means responsiveness and overall fluidity which matters a lot more than numbers. According to hardocp, if you play both the systems listed above side by side, sli gives an amazing smoothness which is simply hard to ignore and is evident throughout a game.

Its not like the differences are subtle but are significant. In terms of smoothness, SLI beats crossfire handsdown and not like just. This fact simply can't be ignored. I will put the reviewer's quote below:

Smoothness in Multi-GPU Gameplay

We've beaten this topic into the ground in the past, but it has been a while since we brought it up. There is a smoothness to SLI we just can't put in words. We know for a fact that NVIDIA uses an algorithm that smoothes "frametime" in SLI. We don't know what it’s called, or even how it works, but we know it exists, and we know NVIDIA employs some special sauce when it comes to SLI. It is something that can only be felt, as you play a game, it is not something that shows up in a framerate over time graph. So what you see is AMD CFX winning in framerate, but not winning in frametime or overall game smoothness.

When you sit down, and play games on SLI, the gaming experience just feels smoother and more responsive at lower framerates compared to AMD CrossFireX. With AMD CrossFireX we find that the faster the framerate, the smoother it feels, and we often need higher framerates with AMD CFX for it to feel the same smoothness that NVIDIA SLI feels. So, in all our testing in this article this is why we say that technically AMD 7950 CFX is faster in framerate, but in terms of the actual experience, SLI wins hands down. Gaming with SLI, especially at NV Surround resolutions, just feels better, period. While this is subjective, we are fairly sure that most of our readers would easily identify this in a "Pepsi Challenge" scenario.

We are still looking for ways to illustrate this frametime advantage to you in a proper "scientific" way. As it stands now, all fully reliable avenues to us in this regard are simply too resource intensive to simply "add on" to our reviews. It is also worth expressing that some data collection methods you have seen developed elsewhere are simply not "correct," and we want to be as accurate as possible before exposing data on this topic. NVIDIA has promised upcoming tools for illustrating this, but we have yet to see anything develop. Till then, our subjective impressions are all we have to offer, but as stated above, some of these are more black and white than shades of gray when you experience these first hand.

Nvidia seems to be employing a specific algorithm which is still unknown outside to them that does this trick. It smoothes out frametime between two cards delivering the best possible experience.
Note that the image quality at highest settings between a 7950 cfx and 660-ti sli is absolutely identical. They both allow to play at max settings and AA. AMD gets smoother once framerates increase but nvidia sli gives much better smoothness even in 10% slower framerates.

Consider sleeping dogs which is an AMD title, 7950 cfx at highest settings gives 63 fps while 660-ti sli gives 55 fps making the former 15% faster. But again sli here felt far smoother and offered a
more responsive gameplay. Since both are capable to emply similar highest settings, image quality was identical.

Reading the review thoroughly will clear a lot of doubts and give a transparent picture to the topic of discussing.

Now gameranand coming to you ( sorry for taking so much time :) ), i guess you must have guessed my implications. I strongly suggest you to strike off that 7970 from your list
and go for a 660-ti sli which are retailing as low as 19.5k per card and an sli brings them dangerously close to that 7970 matrix platinum card ( tad higher).

But the raw performance you'll get will blow a single 7970 out of the water. Owing to kepler's excellent power envelope, the 660-ti sli draws only 64 watts more than the single 7970 matrix platinum and in return offers blistering performance which cannot be matched by any single gpu out there. Its also a more value as well a future proof solution capable of playing all the games at highest settings for 2-3 years. Once txaa ( nvidia's next gen anti aliasing claims to blow msaa and at the same time is much much less memory bandwidth dependent) arrives, you can still go for highest aa settings for future titles.

The cards to go for are listed below:

GIGABYTE GRAPHIC CARD GTX 660 TI 2GB DDR5

MSI GRAPHIC CARD N660Ti PE 2GD5

MSI GRAPHIC CARD N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC

ZOTAC GRAPHICS CARD GTX 660 Ti

*www.flipkart.com/asus-nvidia-gtx66...GXZM&ref=c6e7f92d-4ff9-4b9f-84bb-47f4225c04b0 ( U should find this much cheaper locally)

Sli any of the above and you have a bigger monster than your current planned rig. The gigabyte 660-ti nails the pricing and is highly recommended.
If you can find the galaxy card, then pick it eyes closed. Else any two from above will be great.

Read this completely and tell us your thoughts buddy. :)

P.S -

One more suggestion mate. Why spend 20k on an ROG board? You won't be setting some overclocking records are you? Besides you are limited by the hyper 212 cooler and not going for a uber liquid cooling setup to make the most out of the board. You can go for lot cheaper boards which overclock well ( not on par with ROG but comes close). Consider the following options:

*www.flipkart.com/asrock-z77-extrem...ZH9T&ref=95144016-e826-4bbd-b804-338d192649fa

*www.flipkart.com/asrock-z77-extrem...FUJ2&ref=95144016-e826-4bbd-b804-338d192649fa

I would say you stick with Asrock extreme 6, save up and buy that ssd along with that sli setup. The performance improvements you'll get from day one will be significant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom