Gaming Rig for around 130K

gameranand

Living to Play
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Ultimate gaming at highest settings. Games like BF3, Witcher 2 EE, Metro 2033, GTA 5, and all upcoming games.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 130K. Yes Can extend it if really needed to around 135K.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes but Only when I need it.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7/8 & Ubuntu 12.04.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 2TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, already have BenQ G2420HD.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Just The monitor. Apart from that everything.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: November Last.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will do it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bilaspur. No high end shop here so either Online Shopping or I would have to go to Delhi to purchase the stuff.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Even though I have good Budget then also Please suggest VFM products as its hard earned money which I have saved for years so can't waste it. I hope you understand that.

I have thought about these products

TypeNamePrice
ProcessorIntel Core i7 2700K20000
MotherboardGIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH19800
RAMG.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 MHz 8 GB2900
Hard DriveWD 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive Black Edition (WD2002FAEX)10812
Graphics CardASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 | 27750 INR27750
Power SupplySeasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-850KM 850 Watts PSU11471
CabinetCooler Master Storm Trooper ATX11110
KeyboardCorsair Vengeance K906800
MouseLogitech Optical Gaming Mouse G5003550
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO2000
Optical DriveASUS DRW-24B3ST SATA1293
UPSAPC Back-UPS 1100VA (BR1100CI-IN)5111
ShipppingShipping Cost in Total1400
TotalTotal Cost Including Shipping124000

Also I have added GTX 670 as in future I might do an SLI.

I am quite confused because of some products.

1. Whether Sandybridge or IvyBridge ???

2. GTX 680 or GTX 670 ot HD7970 ???

UPDATE

OK guys after so much searching and searching I have finally purchased the PC and named it as "The Cyclone".
I am very thankful to the following members who helped me finalize the rig (No proper order)
1. Cilus
2. Sumonpathak
3. Skud
4. rock2702
5. Myth
6. vkl
7. pratyush997
8. Topgear
9. Ico
10. The Incinerator
11. Chaitanya
12. vickybat
13. d6bmg
Thanks a lot guys, without you guys I don't think that this was possible at all.
My special thanks to Cilus who really came out of the way and helped me save more than 20K.

Here is the info
TypeNamePrice
ProcessorIntel Core i7 3770K19240
MotherboardAsus Maximus V Formula20696
RAMCorsair Vengeance 2.0 2133MHz4160
Hard DriveWD 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive Black Edition (WD2002FAEX)10264
Graphics CardSapphire HD7870 GHz Edition * 233280
Power SupplyCorsair HX85010816
CabinetCooler Master Storm Trooper ATX11700
KeyboardCorsair Vengeance K906574
MouseLogitech Optical Gaming Mouse G5003276
CPU CoolerNoctua NH U12P SE24425
Optical DriveASUS DRW-24B3ST SATA1040
UPSAPC Back-UPS 1100VA (BR1100CI-IN)5044
HeadphonesCorsair Vengeance 15004160
TotalTotal Cost Including Shipping

[tr]134675[/td]

Here are the pics and details.
Welcome to "The Cyclone"

Again Thanks everyone to help me build this RIG. :)

Last edited:
OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah I thought about that but Gigabyte is offering Thunderbolt+Wifi and overclocking headroom thats why I chose that one. I am not stubborn though you can convince me with right logic and reasoning. :)

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Everything seems good.
Just get a custom hd7970.Sapphire hd 7970 OC edition(32k) is quite good,overclocks quite well.Asus HD7970-DC2(32k)T is quite good too.

Also check this AMD Catalyst 12.11 Performance Analysis

As far as sandy or ivy i7 is concerned.Ivy has these things:better quick sync,native usb 3.0,PCIe3.0.
General application performance difference is not quite significant between them
Unless the above mentioned things are required better off with i7 2600k.For moderate overclocking both are good though.

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH is a very good motherboard.Can go ahead with it.

Last edited:

dan4u

Took Off!!!
why don't you get the normal Intel Core i7 3770 without the k, its about 2k cheaper and can do everything the 3770k does. the 3770k is meant for serious overclockers and those who do all sorts of benchmarks, and you'll hardly need any overclocking for gaming. also if you are planning to overclock you'll need a better CPU cooler.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
CM hyper 212 evo is good enough for moderate overclocking.If one is spending that much,it is always better to have an overclock-able rig.
One can always overclock if necessary or if 2-3 years down the line if it feels a bit slower it can be overclocked.For higher clocks a better cooler is needed.But not necessary in this case as OP has said he will overclock only if needed which is wise.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Well actually as far as CPU goes I am more towards Core i7 2700K or i7 2600K. As for SSD I guess that if I am getting WD Black Edition then I won't need that.
I am kinda confused about the Graphics Card. Please give inputs and also suggest if any better component if you have in mind. :)

vkl

Cyborg Agent
With a good quality SSD,WD black can't be compared.Anyway one can always add the SSD when required.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah thats the point. If my budget would be left then I would buy a SSD if not WD Black Edition would do. :p

Now I am more inclined towards Core i7 2700K. :)

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
But don't offer VFm and too costly. Not worth the money. :)

Guys which GPU I should buy ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 or GIGABYTE GV-N670WF2-2GD. The Gigabyte GPU is available for 25.2K and Asus GPU for 27K. So which one???? I can't find any review for this Gigabyte GPU but the elder brother of this card which is unavailable everywhere and have everything same just with 3 fans performed pretty well. Please give your valuable input.

rock2702

Padawan
You can find the review of this card on newegg.Its has a windforce 2x cooler,shorter pcb compared to the windforce 3x model which use the longer pcb of the gtx 680,runs very cool and quiet and is extremely popular.I wouldn't go for this model if I were you.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
You can find the review of this card on newegg.Its has a windforce 2x cooler,shorter pcb compared to the windforce 3x model which use the longer pcb of the gtx 680,runs very cool and quiet and is extremely popular.I wouldn't go for this model if I were you.

Why ????

And where Can I find that Windforce 3X model ??? Could you suggest any particular place or online shop ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well actually as far as CPU goes I am more towards Core i7 2700K or i7 2600K. As for SSD I guess that if I am getting WD Black Edition then I won't need that.
I am kinda confused about the Graphics Card. Please give inputs and also suggest if any better component if you have in mind. :)

look at the benchmark of newly released FX-8350 .. yu will be surprised and may re-consider your cpu+mobo buying decision ;-) - just wait a little bit for the price to settle in here.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
look at the benchmark of newly released FX-8350 .. yu will be surprised and may re-consider your cpu+mobo buying decision ;-) - just wait a little bit for the price to settle in here.

Ah thank god you finally came here. Could you give some links for the reviews. Also please suggest about GPU also. :)

Allright just some reviews for AMD CPUs. They are quite good and much better than the previous Bulldozer CPU but the thing is that they are not meant for high end PC they are made more for a mid range PC and also their Mobos are quite Old and all. I mean its not completely deal off from me for AMD its just that if the pricing and performance would be good and some good Mobo will roll out soon then I would consider buying it.
As for now I guess Intel is they way to go, I am actually confused between Sandybridge and Ivybridge, Sandy looses the performance battle with Ivy but is more overclockable. Could you guys please suggest which one I should buy. Also could anyone give me a link for temp comparison between Sandybridge and Ivybridge, I do know that Ivy runs hotter but now I want to see the exact numbers.
Here is performance chart i7 3770K vs i7 2700K vs i7 2600K

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's my suggestions:-

1) Consider a SSD as a must. Even a 256gb Crucial M4 or Vertex 4 or 240GB Corsair Force GT is yours for under 15k. For storage, get a Seagate 2TB instead of WD Black. SSDs are much much faster than any HDD you could think of.

2) Get RIpJawsX instead of Sniper.

3) You may consider Corsair HX850 for SMPS, which should be well within 10k. Also the PSU you have mentioned is cheaper here:-

SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

4) nVIDIA is apparently controlling how much voltage control manufacturers can offer in their Kepler cards. If that is important to you, you may want to consider 7970 or may be the Sapphire 7950 OC which is now below 24k at Flipkart. Else the card is just fine.

5) You may consider the i7 3770k.

OP
gameranand

gameranand

Living to Play
Here's my suggestions:-

1) Consider a SSD as a must. Even a 256gb Crucial M4 or Vertex 4 or 240GB Corsair Force GT is yours for under 15k. For storage, get a Seagate 2TB instead of WD Black. SSDs are much much faster than any HDD you could think of.

2) Get RIpJawsX instead of Sniper.

3) You may consider Corsair HX850 for SMPS, which should be well within 10k. Also the PSU you have mentioned is cheaper here:-

SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

4) nVIDIA is apparently controlling how much voltage control manufacturers can offer in their Kepler cards. If that is important to you, you may want to consider 7970 or may be the Sapphire 7950 OC which is now below 24k at Flipkart. Else the card is just fine.

5) You may consider the i7 3770k.

1. Yes I am considering it as I have budget of around 130K so the leftover, I mean about 10K would go in that.

2. Thanks for sure.

3. Actually its cheaper at GolchhaIT at around 9700INR. I just forgot to update the post. My bad. Thanks

4. Didn't really get you. How does that affect the performance or does it affect overclocking and how ??

5. Hmm... Thats where I am confused i7 2700K or i7 3770K. Please do suggest.

And thanks for the suggestions they are welcome. :)

OK Here is the updated prices of the rig.

TypeNamePrice
ProcessorIntel Core i7 2700K18850
MotherboardGIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH19800
RAMGskill RipjawsX 8GB RAM F3-14900CL10S-8GBXL4000
Hard DriveWD 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive Black Edition (WD2002FAEX)10812
Graphics CardASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 | 27750 INR27000
Power SupplySeasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-850KM 850 Watts PSU10975
CabinetCooler Master Storm Trooper ATX11110
KeyboardCorsair Vengeance K906800
MouseLogitech Optical Gaming Mouse G5003500
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO2500
Optical DriveASUS DRW-24B3ST SATA1200
UPSAPC Back-UPS 1100VA (BR1100CI-IN)5111
ShipppingShipping Cost in TotalUnknown
TotalTotal Cost Excluding Shipping121658

Please Comment on the prices and products. :)

Also I am getting
1. i7 3770K - 20000 INR
2. i7 2600K - 18100 INR

So which CPU in these 3 ??

Last edited:
Top Bottom