Gaming PC at 20(+3)K ?

metalfan

Modern Philosopher
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
Mostly gaming and watching movies

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:20K and if deemed necessary then 3k more.

4. Planning to overclock?
A:No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: XP 64

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Here is my first query, I have a HCL LCD monitor 4 yrs old and it works fine. With max res 1280*1024.But it is having refresh rate of 60 Hz and one of the game (i dont exactly remember the game's name) didnt worked on it and said abt mode not supported. Will the refresh rate bottleneck my rig in anyway.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:4

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:Assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:One week

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:I dont think 20k will get me a future proof rig:|:| .But not really need a fut. proof rig as after holidays I'be back to my studies and it'll become a normal downloading pc.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:I Need Mobo, Proccy, Ram,HDD,GPU , DVD writer , Mouse and headphones

The rig which i have finalized is
Proccy - amd athlon 2 x4 640 vs 635 vs amd phenom 2 x4 840 (confusion)
Mobo - Asus M478LT vs GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H
Ram - 2GB single stick
GPU-5670
DVD - LG 22x
Mouse - any MS or logitech
headphones hd 201 sennheiser

I live in delhi so will be buying from Nehru place .....Plz also suggest me a good shop to buy from in NP .......and the prices of the products in Nehru place as the prices in Costtocost are quite higher then the prices mentioned in here
THANX in Advance to all my friends of TDF

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Since you are in a tight budget, I suggest you to get the Athlon. It will save some money and leave some for other components.
Try to extend your budget just a little to accomodate a 5770 HD if possible. I think its lot better than 5670. Again, if you cant extend the 5670 wont dissapoint.

For the OS you wrote XP 64 bit. I suggest you to avoid it because Windows XP doesnt have even DX 10 support. Get a WINDOWS 7 32 bit edition since you will only use 2 GB of RAM. 32 bits is enough for 2 gb.

OP
metalfan

metalfan

Modern Philosopher
Thanx a ton mate ....so acc. to you i should go for athlon 2 x4 635 or 640 (i think 635 will be good) Secondly is Asus mobo m478LT worth going for or should i go for gigabyte one .....

Cilus

laborare est orare
Phenom II 840 is nothing but a Athlon II X4 processor with 0.2 GHz speed bump. It does not have the L3 cache as the original Phenom II processors have, the Phenom name gas been adopted for marketing gimmick.
Get the 635@ 4K.

Here is my suggestion for you:-

Athlon II X4 635 @ 4K
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1) @ 5.4K
Corsair 1333 MHz 4 GB DDR3 value ram @ 2K
Seagate/WD 500 GB SATA HDD @ 1.7K
LG 22X DVD Writer @ 0.8K
MSI HD 5750 @ 6K
Any good Optical Mouse @ 0.5K

Total is 20.4K. Rest of the money for your headphone.
Regarding your Display query, there is nothing like Monitor refresh rate bottlenecks the game. today's 90% of the Display comes with 60 Hz refresh rate. The specified issue may be due to different cause.

The graphics card, HD 5750 is more than enough for your Display resolution and all the games can be played with highest setting. HD 5750 can even handle 1650X1200 or 20" display.

The motherboard I've suggested is little high end one but it offers several features to justify the extra price. It has both SATA III 6 Gbps support and USB 3.0 support, offers a second PCI Express X16 slot @ X4 speed and the best thing is, it is officially certified motherboard to support AMD's upcoming Bulldozer CPUs. So it is highly future proof.

OP
metalfan

metalfan

Modern Philosopher
Sorry friends but there has been a mistake on my part . I just forgot to mention about 500W PSU (FSP Saga II 500) - 2k and a Zebronics or cm elite 310 cabinet so plz guide me now keeping this is mind ....Sorry again for my mistake

Cilus

laborare est orare
Then Get Sapphire HD 5670 512 MB @ 4.3K, Zebonics Bijli @ 1K and Corsair CX430 @ 2.2K as FSp SAGA II 500W is not available now.

kamal_saran

android lover
Hey guys . . . What about phenom x4 955 be. . Is'nt it is more future proof. . And also now it's avialable for near about 5.5k at smc. . . . :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Ya, you are right buddy. Phenom II 955 offers better performance in gaming and CPU intensive works due to its large 6 MB L3 cache. Other thing is it is having unlocked Multiplier and can be overclocked by just increasing the multiplier. If metalfan can increase his budget a little then Phenom II 955 is the best choice.

Top Bottom