game crashes - AMD HD 6850

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

That 400w cm psu is not at all recommended for a 6850. Op should change it first.

guru3d also mentions that one of the effects of bad PSU can be crashing of the game.
But yeah it wouldn't hurt the guy to update his drivers.

Change your psu. I guess its cm extreme. That could be the problem.

Yes psu is so vital ...for power hungry gfx cards.

Change the PSU for longevity of your system!!

which smps to go for? 550 or 450 or 460 watt .......which 1?

corsair vx 550 should be the safest bet.

Like vickybat said VX550 is the safest option but if you are on a tight budget you can opt for Gigabyte Superb 460W or VX450.

But FIRST and the foremost, ankurhothot should try and solve the problem at the software level before going for a purchase. :| You just can't suggest someone to go out and make a PSU purchase just like that. :| (that PSU isn't good enough, I agree on that but it is the later stage)

@ankurhothot
Have you tried installing the latest AMD driver? Refer to tkin's post #9 for instructions.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
yeah thats true but op has to change that psu because its kind of underpowered for a 6850.

What do you say ico?

clear_lot

Journeyman
Please, lets keep this user away from Furmark. Really bad way to check a system which in unstable. Heck, might even cause more damage.

then how can he check if the psu is underpowered or not?

instead of straightaway telling him to buy a PSU, atleast ensure that it is faulty/underpowered.
without putting load on the components, how can he check?

atleast suggest him to run prime95.
that will put 100% stress on cpu.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
then how can he check if the psu is underpowered or not?

instead of straightaway telling him to buy a PSU, atleast ensure that it is faulty/underpowered.
without putting load on the components, how can he check?

atleast suggest him to run prime95.
that will put 100% stress on cpu.

Clear_lot, this post of yours really does not make sense at all. I am not sure what you were replying too, or are unaware of what Furmark is and what is the situation of the OP here. His 400W PSU is more than enough to power the rig. There is no way we can ascertain at this point that this is a PSU issue. First and foremost we have to check out the software and hardware placement diagnostics. He clearly mentioned in his first post that his drivers goes off, and the system restarts. Since when did driver restart happen due to faulty hardware...? Also he has mentioned that only ONE game crashes. Has any arch-angel here asked WHICH game is that..? All of you who are recommending a new PSU, suppose the OP changes the PSU buys more expensive equipment and the issue still persists....then..? Who will compensate him. I think he can rightly ask for us to return him the money, since we recommended a new PSU. It is extremely easy to come in here, and recommend a hardware change, and not really see the problem. Problem killing does not equal problem solving.

Regarding Furmark. This tool is not used to check if a PSU can supply enough power or not. At least not at the stage/situation the OP is at. It is a OC check tool. If you had read this thread correctly you would have realized that not even games are running correctly on his system. How do you expect Furmark to. Games use/stress the CPU/GPU. Furmark does this to a level roughly 12-15% greater. It DOES NOT represent a gaming situation, nor is it a test of the same. What you are suggesting seems like, "if a horse is not capable of running a 10 mile race, WHY NOT test him on a 25 mile race. If he fails there,then we can for sure say, the horse cannot run 10 miles." Absolutely no logic or sense has been applied.

Prime95 is a similar system stability testing tool. This system is not stable, so no use trying a more burn out tool. Its quite pointless.

There can be these reasons for the game crash/BSOD:
1. OS
2. RAM placement.
3. Faulty RAM.
4. Bad connectors.
5. Driver problem.
6. Game bug.
7. Game installation.
8. DirectX libraries.
9. Missing code libraries.
10. PSU.

See where I listed PSU, that is the last thing which should be checked. Hope this clears it out for you all, who are recommending of-the-bat suggestions which hardly add content to this thread.

OP, you have to help us out too. I asked for BSOD dumps..? Which games(s) are causing this issue. Does it happen on normal use...? Can you reseat all your components..? What are temperatures like..? Help us to help you.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Thank u all for ur suggestion ...bt wat m finding a little weird is dat only 1 game crashes while playing ... n smtimes i gt bsod 2...........

the smps i hav is dis..plz chk the specification n tel whether d psu is d bottleneck

Elite Power 400W - Cooler Master

only 1 game crashes while ur system is workin properly under normal condition this might be that there's some problem with that game try patch for that game i had problem with GTA 4 but i installed a patch it started workin properly
if BSOD is comin then u r having some hardware proble also PSU of 400 w is insufficient for ur system i think so so upgrade ur PSU to 550W branded model
also a bit off topic i saw a article where in u can flash the bios of 6850 to make it work as 6870 as the underlying architecture of both are same

OP
A

ankurhotnot

Broken In
Clear_lot, this post of yours really does not make sense at all. I am not sure what you were replying too, or are unaware of what Furmark is and what is the situation of the OP here. His 400W PSU is more than enough to power the rig. There is no way we can ascertain at this point that this is a PSU issue. First and foremost we have to check out the software and hardware placement diagnostics. He clearly mentioned in his first post that his drivers goes off, and the system restarts. Since when did driver restart happen due to faulty hardware...? Also he has mentioned that only ONE game crashes. Has any arch-angel here asked WHICH game is that..? All of you who are recommending a new PSU, suppose the OP changes the PSU buys more expensive equipment and the issue still persists....then..? Who will compensate him. I think he can rightly ask for us to return him the money, since we recommended a new PSU. It is extremely easy to come in here, and recommend a hardware change, and not really see the problem. Problem killing does not equal problem solving.

Regarding Furmark. This tool is not used to check if a PSU can supply enough power or not. At least not at the stage/situation the OP is at. It is a OC check tool. If you had read this thread correctly you would have realized that not even games are running correctly on his system. How do you expect Furmark to. Games use/stress the CPU/GPU. Furmark does this to a level roughly 12-15% greater. It DOES NOT represent a gaming situation, nor is it a test of the same. What you are suggesting seems like, "if a horse is not capable of running a 10 mile race, WHY NOT test him on a 25 mile race. If he fails there,then we can for sure say, the horse cannot run 10 miles." Absolutely no logic or sense has been applied.

Prime95 is a similar system stability testing tool. This system is not stable, so no use trying a more burn out tool. Its quite pointless.

There can be these reasons for the game crash/BSOD:
1. OS
2. RAM placement.
3. Faulty RAM.
4. Bad connectors.
5. Driver problem.
6. Game bug.
7. Game installation.
8. DirectX libraries.
9. Missing code libraries.
10. PSU.

See where I listed PSU, that is the last thing which should be checked. Hope this clears it out for you all, who are recommending of-the-bat suggestions which hardly add content to this thread.

OP, you have to help us out too. I asked for BSOD dumps..? Which games(s) are causing this issue. Does it happen on normal use...? Can you reseat all your components..? What are temperatures like..? Help us to help you.

i opened the dump files using blue screen view and i gt des readings..

bod 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

bod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

n system dosent gt a bsod error or display driver not working error under normal use... only while playing heavy graphic intensive game = COD -black ops

i opened the dump files using blue screen view and i gt des readings..

bod 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

bod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

n system dosent gt a bsod error or display driver not working error under normal use... only while playing heavy graphic intensive game = COD -black ops

des are d dump files

Download bsod.rar for free on uploading.com

But FIRST and the foremost, ankurhothot should try and solve the problem at the software level before going for a purchase. :| You just can't suggest someone to go out and make a PSU purchase just like that. :| (that PSU isn't good enough, I agree on that but it is the later stage)

@ankurhothot
Have you tried installing the latest AMD driver? Refer to tkin's post #9 for instructions.

i didnt tried out the 10.10e drivers yet... have 10.12 drivers.... will try out and tel u

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Looks like driver issues, follow my post above and replace your drivers, do it already.

OP
A

ankurhotnot

Broken In
atikmpag.sys is causing problem n bcz of dis driver m geting bsod error........

i chkd d net and many user r facing bsod bcz of dis driver..........

ny ati gpu user faced dis problem?

tkin

Back to school!!

i chkd d net and many user r facing bsod bcz of dis driver..........

ny ati gpu user faced dis problem?
I did, as I said, I switched to catalyst 10.10e, you should too.

ru sure its not due to power supply?
Would you rather buy a 3.5k psu and find out that issue was driver related or rather change the driver and fix the issue and then get new psu later as your budget suits you????

Last edited:
OP
A

ankurhotnot

Broken In
I did, as I said, I switched to catalyst 10.10e, you should too.

Would you rather buy a 3.5k psu and find out that issue was driver related or rather change the driver and fix the issue and then get new psu later as your budget suits you????

since dis issue is faced by mst user using ati gpu i would apply d 10.10e driver n get a new psu later

J

Joker

+1000

I chkd d net and many user r facing bsod bcz of dis driver..........

Ny ati gpu user faced dis problem?
no sms language here.

since dis issue is faced by mst user using ati gpu i would apply d 10.10e driver n get a new psu later
Do this:
1.Download and install this: Phyxion.net | Driver Sweeper 2.8.0 | Driver Sweeper | Driver Sweeper
2.First uninstall all drivers from control panel(ati catalyst install manager->express uninstall all ati software).
3.Reboot in safe mode.
4.Run that tool and select ati and clean everything.
5.Reboot in normal mode.
6.Install this driver set: AMD Catalyst 10.10e Hotfix

Last edited by a moderator:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
MS kernel symbol portal is down. Will only post back in the evening regarding the status. Till then use the Driver Sweeper method as above to clean out all drive remnants and install.

OP
A

ankurhotnot

Broken In
k thank you all for your help.... let me try out driver sweep method...

@ asingh... plz tel me by eve n thanx for d help

tkin

Back to school!!
MS kernel symbol portal is down. Will only post back in the evening regarding the status. Till then use the Driver Sweeper method as above to clean out all drive remnants and install.
Yeah, the damn server is not responding, can't debug anything, is there any complete symbol set available in torrents or from microsoft that I can download to use in offline mode??

Top Bottom