GAM1NG PC @70k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Sarath,no offense but get the 2500k.Who knows,you may change your mind later?

and dont look at expense like that.if for the same amount of money you can get better GPU,go for it because it will be a lot better than 6970 at 1080p.

Stick to gamefreak's first design and change the GPU to theGTX 580 lightning edition.

i say get the 2500k because it comes with a better heatsink than the non-k model,and will cool the CPU better giving it longer lifetime.For 1k more its totally worth it.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
So you are suggesting getting 2500k then. But then that,ll need betters ram also right for of and s z68 mono. I really cant get the gtx580 its way too expensive. My parents look into what I buy and my dads got a hell lot of software professionals under him who'll be quick to notice the extravagant expense. I also have a ps3 so this wont be my sole gaming machine. (getting this pc only for fps games and dota)

Okay so I get a 2500k ,hd6970, gskill ram,...a z68 mobo.

Ignore typos as im typing from my phone.

Piyush

Lanaya
Z68 Express Roundup: Three Motherboards Do Battle Around $200 : Overclocking, Quick Sync, And SSD Caching

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Software "professionals" are idiots when it comes to hardware.All they want to do is please your dad.

Dont take that sentence in the wrong meaning.I am referring to they people who assemble PCs and not actual software developers ;)

Armed with facts you can show your dad that you are spending the same amount.

Do you think I got my setup with my own money?I am too young to earn (possibly about your age) and I did a lot of research for my first setup.This current PC (second setup for myself,4th in the family),which costs a lot more than double your budget was gotten because I promised my father I would be nice to it and make it last 5 years.
Promise your Dad you will make it last for three years.With overclocking you actually can-4.8Ghz is possible on H70.It wont take very long to OC.We can discuss via PM on this.

Arm yourself with facts.Tell your dad you are polarising (a bit) on one part,because you are still within budget.Before he gets the list "scrutinized" tell him everything truthfully.
If you can make him understand that you are getting best value within budget,and not exceeding it then you should be golden.Make him understand to look at whole product.not just one or 2 parts.
its like deciding a car is best because it has highest fuel efficiency.Handlin,transmission,acceleration,shock absorption be damned.

In a Sandy Bridge setup 1600Mhz RAM is fine.Get 8GB and you will never be disappointed.The ones I chose have best value.Z68 is good option.It has SSD caching,should you choose to add one later.However P67 is no slouch.SSD caching is unnecessary IMHO.Install OS on SSD for better performance really.Cost atm cannot be justified. When an 80GB performance MLC with latest sandforce controller will cost Rs.4500 then it will be worth it.

Last edited:
OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Those software guys pawned my last attempt at a gaming lappy. I have this bare bone HP dv6 thanks to them. So yeah. But he'll only refer to them if the price is too high.

Plus none of the budget or limitations have been put by my dad. Its all me. I have decided not to spend exorbitantly and get just the essentials. And 20k for a HD6970 for me was a lot more than mere essentials. I was looking at GTX560 Ti before that but i decided to upgrade it to 20k. I dont want to go any higher. I am happy if the system lets me play games at high res for 2years and med after that.

So i have fixed HD 6970.

Althought at your insistence and convincing skills :) extreme gamer i have decided to take the jump and go for a k series proc.

Thanks everyone for suggestions

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
you are welcome.

promising build but I still stand by the GTX 580.After all I own 2 :p

like i said before,dont give your dad a parts and price list.tell him everything.get all the data you can.try to make him understand that you have done hefty research before deciding.give him statistics,benchmarks.AND ask him for a budget and get back to us man.tell him he does not need software pros to tell him about hardware needs.i bet those retards are his buisiness accountants with tally/ace or something :p

and its pwned which stands for professionally owned lol and not pawned.

edit:whatever you do,do not LIE to him.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
well i definitely cant tell him its a gaming rig. Its getting difficult to convince him. he wants to take all the parts himself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Searched for Binary world in Indiranagar. Didnt find it and was pretty much closed. Anyone bought from them?

Asked at compshop in brigade for dell monitor but unavailable again.

How is Intel DP67BG for mobo?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
not a bad board but the p67 pro is much better.

Your parents are just like mine.Try to get a budget from him.
It took me a long time to convince my parents.Even had to work out a friggin compromise formula through negotiation.

and why cant you tell him it will be a gaming rig?

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
How about this?
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 (rev. 1.0)

Coming to cases: Considering the HD6970 is 274mm long> max space for gfx for cases are:
NZXT
Lexa S 28cms
Tempest Evo 33cms
Hades dunno?

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Minor changes from game-freak's original config.

Component | Make | Price Processor | Intel Core i5 2500k | 11000
Motherboard | Asus P8P67 PRO | 12000
RAM | G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL | 2500
Graphic Card |MSI HD6970 Lightning 2GB|22000
HDD | Seagate 1TB 7200.12 | 2700
DVD Writer | LG 22X SATA DVD | 900
PSU | Corsair TX650v2 | 5700
Case | NZXT Tempest Evo | 5700
| Total |62500

1) Why a K series processor?
Difference of price isn't much. It is worth going for a K series processor.

2) Why Asus P8P67 Pro? Should I wait for Z68 motherboards?
Quality motherboard with a lot of features. A quality processor should have a quality motherboard. Waiting for a Z68 motherboard is entirely your decision. :)

3) Regarding graphic card
Prefer HD 6970 2GB over GTX 570 reference models. GTX 570 reference models have problems with VRM. Performance/price ratio of both the cards is same.

4) Should I get GTX 580?
It is you who knows your requirements perfectly. If you feel you need more graphic horsepower, then get GTX 580. Otherwise HD 6970 2GB is enough.

5) Which power supply should I get?
If you are getting HD 6970 2GB, then a decent 650w power supply from Corsair and Seasonic is more than sufficient. (Seasonic S12II 620w and Corsair TX650v2)
If you want to get GTX 580, then get Seasonic S12D 750w or Corsair TX750v2.

Corsair GS series gets a NO from me. It is not their top-line product.

5) okay...I have decided upon HD 6970 2GB. Should I spend extra and get a 650w modular power supply?
If you ask me, modular power supplies save a lot of hassle. You can consider Corsair HX series. Joker has mentioned many PSU models for you to choose from.

6) What about the cabinet?
My suggestion would be NZXT Tempest Evo over CM HAF 922 - NZXT - Tempest EVO Product Detail
Both perform exactly the same though. You can't go wrong with any of them. ;)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
looks good(gigabyte is my brand of choice,then MSI then ASUS for mobo|MSI then Zotac and Palit rank 2nd and 3rd is asus).

however you need to know the price.But in my humble opinion the P67-UD5 (i think it was in 12-15k range) will be a more rock solid(i.e. stable on OC) mobo.SSD caching will be useless for you because SSDs will go way out of your budget and you have chosen it for gaming,which means the integrated graphics of sandy bridge will be unused anyway,not to mention your choice does not have a display output :)

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I would like to say thanks to:
Extreme Gamer
Joker
Demon Lord
game-freak
nilgtx260
Piyush
ico

for helping me out with getting my rig right.

SL NO DESCRIPTION MAKE UNIT PRICE
1 PROCESSOR CORE i5 2500k INTEL 11000
2 MOTHERBOARD P9P67 PRO ASUS 12000
3 RAM F3-1066CL9S4GBRL G-SKILL RIPJAWS 5250
4 GRAPHIC CARD HD6970 2GB/HD 6970 LIGHTING SAPPHIRE/MSI 21000
5 HDD 1TB 7200.12 RPM SEAGATE 2730
6 DVD WRITTER 22X SATA DVD LG 945
7 PSU SeaSonic S12II 620 SEASONIC 6000
8 CASE LEXA S/TEMPEST EVO/ HADES NZXT ~6000
9 MOUSE IMPERATOR RAZER 3150
10 KEYBOARD ARCTOSA RAZER 2415
11 UPS 1.1KV APC 4725
12 DELL ULTRASHARP U2311H DELL 14324
13 WINDOWS 7 MICROSOFT 5650

TOTAL 95189

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Wow.Your dad will agree to this?

nice man!

Very promising build and I look forward to you completing it.

Also:

1)make sure the parts are assembled at your house.
2)Keep all the boxes (you should for (a)more resale value (b)warranty purposes)
3)sit beside the builder and try to get an understanding of how to build it.if you will build it yourself, do some research first.

I look forward to seeing the finished setup and some pic+benchies

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I am getting everything in a phased manner so my parents dont get overly suspicious. They dont know the budget yet but given proper reasons it shouldnt really freak them out.

Will get the monitor next. Have to catch hold of some techie guy to assemble my rig. I would obviously stare at every nut fixed. I have seen many videos and articles about assembling but i do not want to take a risk.

I would assemble a net top for downloading purposes if i ever have to.

And thanks extreme gamer for your enthusiasm. I am sure you are aware you changed my initial decision to not go for a k series proc. :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Get a z68 mobo instead of p67 mate. You get to use quicksync using lucid logix. It actually has all the benefits of a p67 and h67 combined. Don't forget ssd caching.

p67 makes no point now with the advent of z68

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
i read about quick sync but got lost in all the details. Is it for rendering videos like converting and stuff?

Can you let me know in brief: what is it, Its application, whether it can be used despite dedicated gfx?

Also can you suggest me a good z68 mobo?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Quick sync basically uses the GPGPU(General Processing GPU) concept along with Intel's own optimization. There are certain software (mainly multimedia related like Video encodes) which can take advantage of the immense processing power of the GPU to accelerate the process. These kind of software can take advantage of both nVidia and AMD/ATI video cards.

But in Intel Sandy bridge processors as the IGP is integrated inside the CPU die, using Intel's quick sync technology it can offload the task to the integrated GPU in such a way that the CPU+IGP combine processing power provides high performance boost in those kind of applications.

It has been observed in a lot of reviews that if GPU accelerated software runs on Sandy Bridge CPUs by using IGP, it provides better performance than a Sandy Bridge + High power dedicated Graphics card.

However, quick-sync was initially only supported in H67 chipset based mobos if a dedicated graphics card is not installed and in P67 mobos it is not all supported as plugging a Sandy Bridge processor into it actually disables the integrated IGP.

Z68 will support best of the both world....it can still use Intel's quicksync even if a dedicated card is plugged, by using Lucid Logic sofware.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
hmmm....thanks for the info Cilius. I think its wise for me to get a z68 mobo then. I was reading in the other threads that it isnt out yet. Not that i am in a hurry but i hope its not a few months in the coming.

Are there any boards available in India now?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get These :

Core i5 2500K 10.5K
*Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 @ 10.2K
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL @ 2.5k
Seagate 1 TB 7200.12 @ 2.7K
Samsung DVD RW Drive @ 0.9k
CM HAF 912 Avdanced @ 5.5k
MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II @ 27K
Corsair Tx650 @ ~5.5k