Galaxy Note or await S3 / iphone 5 release

bhautikjoshi

Broken In
Need advise on moving from Galaxy S2 to Galaxy Note, Realised my Data usage is too much to handle for Galaxy S2 and I am not much into voice calling, use phone more for on the go gaming, reading e-books and browsing a lot so thinking of moving to Galaxy note as Samsung is running a good promo currently.

I am also looking at the S3 announcement on May 7 which is touted to be a minor upgrade to S2, however there is also possibility of S3 sporting a 12 MP camera with auto-focus feature which would be a nice addition.

Iphone 5 annoucement is nowhere on the horizon just the rumor mills churning speculations after every Iphone version is released, getting confused If I should go for Galaxy Note, need suggestions.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
If you dont use voice call then what is use of a phone. Go and get a tablet. Gaming and web browsing on a bigger screen will be really great

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
May 3 to be precise the new Galaxy will be out. I would suggest to skip the Note for now since newer generation Samsung phones are on way. Noting much can be said about iPhone 5 pure speculations and rumours only. Also I think it will be pretty highly priced. imo your best bet will be to get Galaxy S3 :wink:
see this link: Samsung to unveil Galaxy S III on May 3 - Mobile Phone | ThinkDigit News

sarthak

In the zone
Galaxy S3 will have much better specs but for reading ebooks or browsing the web you might find note's bigger screen better. But if you don't call with a phone why not get a tablet instead ?

OP
B

bhautikjoshi

Broken In
Thanks for your suggestions guys, BTW I do have a ipad 2, I prefer deeper integration of Android OS with social apps in comparison to iOS to manage my blogging etc. that's the reason I was looking at a portable Android option as a phone for which thought of Galaxy note came on my mind, happened to see the S3 teaser today, better to wait for 1 week and check out S3 specs and then decide.

Note user's can still comment on it's overall performance, battery etc

sarthak

In the zone
^^^^ If you already have a tablet then waiting for S3 would be much better.
Note's performance is very good, but under heavy usage(lots of gaming) the battery lasts for about 12-15 hours only. The battery life is supposed to improve with the ICS update which would also bring more S-pen apps.

aroraanant

Explorer
Then have a look at HTC One X. Otherwise Note is a very good option.
Don't think of anything other then these two

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Wait for gs III its 2x Faster than any mobile on the market currently...............................................and totally worth it.

SnooP

Right off the assembly line
:-D
As u ve said u would need the phone for blogging,deep android integration and games then try the galaxy note.. Btw i own a Galaxy S2 and when i tried the NOTE of my frnd for a day(swapped our phones) i fell in love with the galaxy note... S2 was a good as a phone but note would beat it comes to multimedia .. S-pen was awesome .... Dnt worry about the galaxy s3 coz it may not have the spen and it would come with a monster price tag.. The cam in the note is awesome and infact more stable in handling 1080p video rec than galaxy s2 which failed in continous autofocussing...... S3 may have 12mp or improved 8mp but u might own a dslr or cybershot for imaging...
Go ahead with the note .. Never choose a mobile based on spec sheet , choose it based on your needs..... NOTE MAY SUIT YOUR NEEDS.. S1 S2 S3 are still phones but note is a PHABLET :p

abhidev

Human Spambot
how can be a phone with a dual core processor can be faster than a phone with a quad core processor???? :shock:

Here is the info from Engadget

Tool HTC One X HTC One S
Quadrant 4,906 5,053
Linpack (multi-thread) 150.54 222.22
NenaMark2 (fps) 47.6 61.0
Neocore 58.2 60.1
Vellamo 1,617 2,452
SunSpider 9.1 (ms, lower is better) 1,772.5 1,742.5
Moonbat (ms, lower is better) 2,676 2,751
GLBenchmark 2.1 Egypt 51fps 60fps
GL Benchmark 2.1 Pro 54fps 61fps
GL Benchmark Egypt offscreen 63fps 57fps
GL Benchmark Pro offscreen 89fps 98fps
AndEBench (Native / Java) 9,223 / 279 5,866 / 189
AnTuTu 11,030 7,067
SmartBench 2012 (Productivity) 4,731 3,028
SmartBench 2012 (Gaming) 2,632 3,383
HTML5 test 364 343
CF-Bench (Overall) 13,233 9,547

here is the comparison on gsmarena

HTC One X review: eXtra special - GSMArena.com

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
how can be a phone with a dual core processor can be faster than a phone with a quad core processor???? :shock:

cause even if it has 4 cores, it mayn't run at that frequency all the time. secondly, Tegra uses ARM ip cores i.e. the one designed by ARM ready to be manufactured. Whereas Qualcomm is licensed the Instruction Sets. they further optimizes the architecture to include many things of their own like power gating (and Neon) which is not available in the reference design. this can increase performance as all the power can be provided to one core only when required so that it maintains its max clock speed.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

it can be depends on the app which you are running. Many applications make maximum use of dual core processors. in quad processors you can run many apps simultaneously.

m more worried abt the battery life and heating problems...hope they have looked after this prob.

according to initial reports its a stainless steel body so you have nothing to worry about. Well as far as the battery life is concerned it will probably last the same as your s2..

[LEAK] SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 IN VIETNAM (English subtitle - review Full HD and screenshot) - YouTube

Initial GPU benchmarks of Samsung Galaxy S III thrash the competition

galaxy s3 wiki i hope this answers all your queries. Tech2

A strong contender Emerges ..Galaxy S3 - xda-developers

apparently it also consumes 20% less power so you can expect another 2~5 hours battery usage higher than the s2

OP
B

bhautikjoshi

Broken In
Many Thanks for your suggestion, awaiting S3 announcement tomorrow to take the final plunge.

:-D
As u ve said u would need the phone for blogging,deep android integration and games then try the galaxy note.. Btw i own a Galaxy S2 and when i tried the NOTE of my frnd for a day(swapped our phones) i fell in love with the galaxy note... S2 was a good as a phone but note would beat it comes to multimedia .. S-pen was awesome .... Dnt worry about the galaxy s3 coz it may not have the spen and it would come with a monster price tag.. The cam in the note is awesome and infact more stable in handling 1080p video rec than galaxy s2 which failed in continous autofocussing...... S3 may have 12mp or improved 8mp but u might own a dslr or cybershot for imaging...
Go ahead with the note .. Never choose a mobile based on spec sheet , choose it based on your needs..... NOTE MAY SUIT YOUR NEEDS.. S1 S2 S3 are still phones but note is a PHABLET :p

OP
B

bhautikjoshi

Broken In
Checked out Galaxy S3 Specs, not impressed. Their launch event was conducted more like a hardcore sales event for zombies. Looks to be more like an iPhone 4S counterpart. Purchasing Galaxy Note finally.

Compared to SII:

1) Quad core is only significant addition on hardware
2) Screen size is just +0.5 inch
3) Most other features are offered more like a software upgrade
4) Camera still retains 8MP (not interested in burst mode pics, AF with HDR, zero shutter lag etc)
5) Body design is a plus from SII
6) @38K it's slightly expensive, considering it is not a huge leap in terms of OS/hardware offering from SII. One can get a decent core i5 laptop with 1/2GB Graphic card in this range

Made for Humans, Inspired by Nature sounds like far stretched marketing campaign.

red dragon

Master troll
For me the biggest upgrade for the sgs3 is the return of the Wolfson DAC(it is supposed to be even better than that awesome DAC in the original gs!!)
SGS3 may look bad(ok for me),other than the camera it is actually the only threat to Apple.

Top Bottom