Galaxy ace plus or Xperia U

Sparky19

Broken In
Guys, need your advise. I sold my 5 month old HTC Explorer last night. Need to buy a new phone within a day or 2. I have a max budget of 16k and i cannot afford to go beyond it. I have shortlisted the Galaxy Ace plus and Sony Xperia U. I am more or less decided on the Xperia U but still confused.

My requirements :

1) Screen size : 3.5 inch and above.

2) Gaming : Should be able to play most of the games smoothly without any hiccups.

3) Apps : I must be able to install as many apps with the phone not acting crazy (Explorer had a poor internal memory and was a major issue)

4) Browsing : It must support smooth browsing and video playback without lag.

5) Battery : Good battery backup. I am not a power user, but it must last one day with moderate usage.

6) Camera : Not bothered about it.

My first choice was Xperia U for obvious reasons. But when i saw it in a store this morning i was taken by surprise. The phone looks very small. Yes it is a 3.5 inch screen, but it never looked like it. Also typing on the phone seemed a tad difficult as the width of the phone is less. Right next to it was Galaxy ace plus, looked a lot bigger. Typing on it seemed a lot more easier. That is why i brought that into consideration.

Specs wise i know, Xperia U wins hands down. But came across a few online videos on youtube where they say - Browsing and video playback is laggy and the battery life is poor. While for the Ace plus, it was told that the browsing and video playback is very smooth. So the confusion.

Also can anyone tell me the exact internal memory of Xperia U - 4,6 or 8 ? Is there any memory slots allotted for media and apps ? need more clarity on this. I can live without external memory though.

PS : I know Sola and one V are better, so is the price. So not considering them. I am on a tight 16k budget.

rider

as Kratos
Keep away from Xperia U It has only 4GB user memory and no memory card option. And Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus has very poor screen and average performance.
Better to increase your budget to full fill your needs mentioned above.

Xperia Sola with 1 year dealer warranty is good for you if you dont care about official sony india warranty.

Use Bank coupon to get 1000 more less.

Terabyte

In the zone
If you are keen on getting HTC One V you can get it below 16k, to be precise @ Rs. 15,495 with official HTC 1 year warranty here -> HomeShop18.com | Superdeals | HTC One V @ Rs.15,495
The offer ends today though!!

As far as Xperia U's memory is concerned, it has 8GB inbuilt, out of which in total only 6GB is available to the user, 2GB is reserved for the OS.
That 6GB is subdivided into 2GB for apps and 4GB for storage like songs, pics and videos.

I personally would pick Xperia U and that is what I recommend you :)

Edit : Ace Plus doesn't even belong to this competition, highly not recommended.

pulkit_aga

Journeyman
depends on how much memory u need in xperia u you will get 2gb for apps and 4gb for your stuff if you are ok with this go ahead this is good for the price should be available for 15k in the market if not go for xperia sola, avoid one v as it runs on older hardware.

OP
S

Sparky19

Broken In
Keep away from Xperia U It has only 4GB user memory and no memory card option. And Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus has very poor screen and average performance.

I am absolutely fine with 4gb user memory. Not a deal breaker for me.

As far as Xperia U's memory is concerned, it has 8GB inbuilt, out of which in total only 6GB is available to the user, 2GB is reserved for the OS.
That 6GB is subdivided into 2GB for apps and 4GB for storage like songs, pics and videos.

I personally would pick Xperia U and that is what I recommend you :)

Thanks for the clarification. Say i install a lot of apps and it consumes more than 1.5gb of the allotted 2gb, will it slow down the phone ? Like will it lag, freeze or any such or other issues ?

depends on how much memory u need in xperia u you will get 2gb for apps and 4gb for your stuff if you are ok with this go ahead this is good for the price should be available for 15k in the market if not go for xperia sola, avoid one v as it runs on older hardware.

Thanks for the clarification. I am fine with 2 gb + 4gb allocation as long as the phone does not give problems when the memory is full.

Guys, are there any network or wifi issues in Xperia U ?

Terabyte

In the zone
Thanks for the clarification. Say i install a lot of apps and it consumes more than 1.5gb of the allotted 2gb, will it slow down the phone ? Like will it lag, freeze or any such or other issues ?
IMO installing 1.5GB worth apps shouldn't slow down the phone.
For a more practical answer I think you should ask your query at XDA Developer forums here -> Sony Xperia S, P, U, Sola, Acro S - xda-developers
Sparky19 said:
Guys, are there any network or wifi issues in Xperia U ?
Again this query can be replied only by the ones who use this phone so again head over to XDA forums and post your query there.

Hope that helps!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Say i install a lot of apps and it consumes more than 1.5gb of the allotted 2gb, will it slow down the phone ? Like will it lag, freeze or any such or other issues ?

no. just keep around 100MB memory free cause cache and other dump will be stored in the apps memory. So keep cleaning the internal memory using some cacheclearner from time to time and you should be fine.

OP
S

Sparky19

Broken In
I just read a lot of issues about this phone on Sony mobile forum and i am totally confused now:-(. A lot of users have reported that they are facing Network problems. While others are facing Wifi or low voice problems.
I like this phone and can easily live with 4-6gb internal memory. But now should i still go ahead after getting to know of these bugs ?

Terabyte

In the zone
I just read a lot of issues about this phone on Sony mobile forum and i am totally confused now:-(. A lot of users have reported that they are facing Network problems. While others are facing Wifi or low voice problems.
I like this phone and can easily live with 4-6gb internal memory. But now should i still go ahead after getting to know of these bugs ?
Well those forums are generally there to discuss about issues only, you won't find many praising their phones on those forums.
Head over to XDA and ask your query.

Check this review on TE -> Sony Xperia U Review (hope so I am allowed to do so :razz: )

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
Dont get Xperia U the worst phone of Xperia series its flimsy , only 4gb storage,very bad camera go for anything else

bking

Right off the assembly line
Why Not Defy Plus? 2GB internal.. Micro SD Slot...

Great Screen[3.7inch] And A great processor with great Dev SUpport... Even JB is out for it.

Price- 13999 ON FK

Nighthawk12

In the zone
It has 6gb of total memory not 4gb. 2gb for apps and 4gb for internal memory(You can place apps in internal memory too).
It's a the best looking device just go for it.And it don't lag at all like Ace plus do.I have played many hd games Like Shadowgun,The amazing spiderman it didn't lag.
Go for it you won;t regret it.It also has led notification light.
But yeah 1 downside is it's screen is small.
And 1 more thing it's touch is better than Samsung phones.

OP
S

Sparky19

Broken In
Well those forums are generally there to discuss about issues only, you won't find many praising their phones on those forums.
Head over to XDA and ask your query.

Check this review on TE -> Sony Xperia U Review (hope so I am allowed to do so :razz: )

Thanks for the link. I ll try and get in touch with him as well. As for XDA, i just couldn't get a hang of the forum like where to post and stuff.

Buy Sony Xperia Sola for 14k from ebay.

Best deal ever!

I will be buying the phone either from a local store or Flipkart. So, Sola is outta budget for me.

It has 6gb of total memory not 4gb. 2gb for apps and 4gb for internal memory(You can place apps in internal memory too).
It's a the best looking device just go for it.And it don't lag at all like Ace plus do.I have played many hd games Like Shadowgun,The amazing spiderman it didn't lag.
Go for it you won;t regret it.It also has led notification light.
But yeah 1 downside is it's screen is small.
And 1 more thing it's touch is better than Samsung phones.

Thanks for the info.
Have you faced any Network problems in any of the builds ? Also is there any Wifi, low voice and GPS problems in the phone ?

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
The network issue was a bug in one firmware. The latest firmware does not have those issues. So don't worry about it.

Nighthawk12

In the zone
I didn't faced any network issue.It was in bugged firmware earlier.But after .184 update everything works like a charm.No issues for me

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
get the xperia u with your eyes closed.and as u can live with 6gb,nothing should stop u from buying it.
IMO if you can live with 6gb storage ofxperia u,thinking about ace plus is a crime.:-D