Full HDD Capacity not seen in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravishankars

Right off the assembly line
I installed a 200GB Seagate 7200 RPM ATA HDD in my PC. The BIOS and WinXP recognize the disc accurately by its model name. However the Disk Management Utility in Administrative Tools shows that the unused disc has only a total of 128GB available for partitioning and formatting. Any ideas on what tweaking is needed? Thanks in advance for any tips.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
ravishankars said:
I installed a 200GB Seagate 7200 RPM ATA HDD in my PC. The BIOS and WinXP recognize the disc accurately by its model name. However the Disk Management Utility in Administrative Tools shows that the unused disc has only a total of 128GB available for partitioning and formatting. Any ideas on what tweaking is needed? Thanks in advance for any tips.

See *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29094

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
which mobo u have????
may be ur mobo doesnt supports 200GB???
is it only HDD or any other also attached???

rk

Broken In
ravishankars xp has problem detecting above 160gb disks
either go to ur disk manufacturer site and download patch for it
or go to intel 's site and install intel app..acccelerator

digiFriend

In the zone
1)first check in BIOS. if it is detecting 200GB there, then you need to fix LBA in your OS.
(if your operating system is using "36 bit LBA" then maximun harddisk size it can detect is 137.4 GB.To detect more than 137.4 GB ,the OS need "48 bit LBA")

2)download "EnableBigLba.exe" its size is 156 kb and its freeware. run it and it will make LBA 48 bit. reboot.

3)or to manually do it.
* regedit
* HKey_Local_Machine\system\current Control set\services\atapi\parameters
* find "EnableBigLBA" there and change it value to 1.(if it is not there,write it and make its value 1)
* exit Regedit and reboot.

(note: installing new SP2 patch can also fix this problem.)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Install SP2 ... older ver. of Windows is not suppsed to detect hdd over 130 GB i think ;... i had a similar problem when i was installing WinXP on a SATA drive .... later i installed WinXP with SP2 slipstreamed and my hdd was detected right ...

r.dhara

there is generally a issue with sata hdd and winxp. follo the procedure given below.
1.delete all the partitions
2.make only one partition and install windows xp on it
3.after installation first install service pack 2
4.now go to disk management and create furthur partitions.

this should solve ur problem

OP
R

ravishankars

Thank you all for the great tips. It really was a SP2 upgrade issue. But the EnableBigLBA tool suggested by DigiFriend (Thanks!) worked like a charm even without SP1 or SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom