Full HD light weight with i7

CSK

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
It's good to see in recent threads the interest of members in FHD screens for laptops.

But really sad that they are such a rarity these days. They were available easily 5 years ago, when I got my first lappy. Strange that they haven't become mainstream yet even with so much HD content.

So.. I've been considering replacing my present 17" laptop with a smaller / lighter FHD model for months now.

Sony's SVS15116GNB caught my attention because besides the FHD 15.5", it has i7 and weighs just 2KG!!! Approx price around 75K.

Sadly, it has been permanently discontinued. And I've been in talks with sony for months now, and there seems to be no clue bout when its replacement is arriving.

Now there is the i5 model, the SVS15125. Price around 68K. Rest of the specs are same as the i7 model.

I have 3 problems/questions:

1) Should I keep waiting for the i7 replacement model, whose release date probably god alone knows. Or should I go with the i5? Flipkart offers this with a Targus bag. I will be mainly using it for working with heavy excel files and heavy duty browsing. Not a gamer at all. Sometimes batch editing in photoshop etc. Price isn't an issue. But I want a laptop for the next 5 years at least, which is why I was leaning towards the i7.

2) Do these 2 sony models really come with IPS? Becuase their own site doesnt mention it. But several review site, including thinkdigit say that its got IPS.

3) Is the IPS screen really worth all the moolah? Because Lenovo has the y550 with i7, weighing 2.9KG, at just 65K without the IPS. I'm not interested in the sony, if IPS doesnt significantly improve the visual appeal and clarity.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
IPS is best screen IMO, vivid and vibrant colours plus good viewing angles, there is a difference between the SONY and Lenovo Y500 laptop, lenovo is for pure gaming and sony is for multimedia purpose, according to ur needs select the laptop.

randomuser111

Technomancer
2) Do these 2 sony models really come with IPS? Becuase their own site doesnt mention it. But several review site, including thinkdigit say that its got IPS.

You sure you looked properly on Sony India site? ;)

Cuz you seemed to have missed this

S Series : VAIO™ Laptop & Computer : Sony India

*i.imgur.com/0LLVLRo.jpg

OP
C

CSK

IPS is best screen IMO, vivid and vibrant colours plus good viewing angles, there is a difference between the SONY and Lenovo Y500 laptop, lenovo is for pure gaming and sony is for multimedia purpose, according to ur needs select the laptop.

Hmmm.. Thanks.. I'll take your word for it if you have seen the difference yourself.. Not interested in gaming, but very much in DSLR photography.. So I'll go for the IPS.

@ramdomuser: I must have completely skipped over that page. Dunno how i missed that :p.. My bad.. And thanks..

What do you have to about whether I should wait for the i7 or go with the i7? Sony isn't giving out any details about the replacement model. Dunno whether the quad core model is worth waiting for indefinitely. Might I not as well get the quad core if I'm spending such money.

I've had horrible experience trying to buy it online, for the last 2 months. Have placed the order and made full payments of 77000 @ snapdeal.com and @ next.co.in and both times the orders were cancelled citing shortage. Why cant these people make sure about availability b4 accepting d money?

randomuser111

Technomancer
Im gonna be picking up the S15 soon myself and I am interested in i7 model just like you but seems India wont get it. So ill go ahead with i5 model:(

OP
C

CSK

Well why dont you wait a bit? I've waited since december.. The last time sony updated their S series catalog was in december with these Win8 models. So they might just be in the process of updating it.. Might just happen in Feb. I can wait a bit coz I already have a machine..

What upgrades you planning on making? I wanna go for a SSD 256GB and definitely gonna up the RAM to 12GB.

Top Bottom