Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
^while installing select the root partition and mount it as "/" .
"/" is where the Linux filesystem is mounted under which different folder are created (a lame definition i know :D)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Thanks T159
I think I'll use acronis
And finally,
whats a mount point ( / ) ?
in linux u mount a filesystem, so there is a mount point. "/" is the main root mount point.
Consider it as a hanger where you put you cloth and later you can put another removing the first.

you can mount other partitions too easily to a mount point (folder).

Thanx for all your help :)
Will install linux in 'bout 3 days.
Can I use the "Disk Management" that is provided by Windows XP?
I cant get Head or tail of it though

Rahim

Married!
While installing use "Manual" when asked about partitioning and create 2 partitions. You should still use Gparted Live CD or do it within installation itself. Just take your time to understand Linux and Best of Luck!!!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Thanx for all your help :)
Will install linux in 'bout 3 days.
Can I use the "Disk Management" that is provided by Windows XP?
I cant get Head or tail of it though
just do one thing, tell some geeky friend of yours to pay a visit and do the partitioning.
And remember to learn these things.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
i have a plan to install ubuntu in Server-Client environment.. .
though i know about mid-level networking and security in windows, i have similar problems with working in Linux networking.
is any books / blogs/website/ specially to set up Client-Server environment using ubuntu.
i.e. how to create domain, add workstation to domain, sharing folders/internet/applying security permissions to specific folders

I think, Linux vetern would be guided me.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Doubt in GNU GPL Thread Quote
According to GNU GPL I can copy code from a software foo which is released under GNU GPL license, and create another software bar then I should release bar under GNU GPL license. But if I release a binary of the software without the source code, then how would the author of foo know whether I have used his source?? And how can he protect his Free Software?
I know it is illegal and unethical, but it is possible. How to prevent such things?

manistar

Broken In
i am using windows for 10 years, and just now switched to ubuntu 8.2,
i m not connected to internet at home
how can i download from internet ( refer some sites )
and install it offline

CadCrazy

in search of myself
i am using windows for 10 years, and just now switched to ubuntu 8.2,
i m not connected to internet at home
how can i download from internet ( refer some sites )
and install it offline

Visit following threads
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87790
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=886010
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73538 (for Ubuntu 8.04 only)

volmetius

Broken In
guys!! how can i install multiple linux distros like suse,fedora, & puppy linux in a 4GB flash drive?? plz need help!!

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^Its easy . Just install the other one in diff partition.. Grub will automatically add the entry. If it fails do it manually from /boot/grub/menu.lst :

jaym_2001

Broken In
Some links for distro specific help.

openSUSE - *www.forums.opensuse.org
Ubuntu - *www.ubuntuforums.org

Also see (in openSUSE) -
There's a very comprehensive handbook for openSUSE installed on your computer.
You view it on your web browser. The location of the index
is: /usr/share/doc/manual/opensuse-manual_en/manual/index.html. Browse to it
and open it in your Web Browser, then bookmark it -- invaluable resources for
reference. This set is right up to date.

Scroll down the index to this topic: 8 Shell Basics -- that will give you an
intro to command line with focus on openSUSE. And the whole index is v
interesting.

... if you've installed the RPM "howtoenh", you'll find on your computer another html book containing an unbeleievable list of HowTos for doing many things Linux. Bring that up in your Browser and bookmark it too, to peruse at leisure. It's here: /usr/share/doc/howto/en/html/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html . This set can have
some very old entries -- so be careful.

(From openSUSE Forums)

Last edited:

prudhivisekhar

In the zone
Hi. Nice work here. I am using Sabayon Linux distribution since 2 months. As I got BSNL DataOne broadband connection. I am not able to get connected to it. Can anyone help me.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I have both Vista and Ubuntu on my single laptop HDD. As expected, yesterday Vista gave me BSOD so had to reinstall it. To keep the things short, just tell me How to recover my GRUB? I tried Super GRUB Disk but it didn't work or u can say I cudn't get it workin so tell me the secondaries, please.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
^wrong section, please post in the right section. And as for GRUB recovery please use the Google search box in this forum. this problem has been addressed quite a number of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom