Frequent blowing up of SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am having....
foxconn 45cmx series motherboard
pentium D 2.8Ghz processor
with 2gb ram
2 hdd........ one of 160 gb & other of 320gb intalled(wd)
1 sata sony dvd ram.
& A 450 WATT frontech SMPS installed
I recently purchased a ATI 4770 graphics card
i played Command & Conquer 4 with normal graphics........ it run well.....
but when i switched to ultra graphics my SMPS blew up...
my vendor gave me an other 500 watt frontech SMPS i used it for net surfing at night.. it worked well.... but when next morning i played the game again my smps blew up again..........
now my vendor says that there is a high wattage consumption in your grapics card...... so the SMPS are not supported....
now someone please tell me what to do now............

is the vendor telling true or making a fool of me.......

now he asks me to buy another SMPS costing near about Rs.4000/-
will it be working???:x

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
R u insane, no local SMPS are able to power an HD 4770 card. You are very lucky that ur system is intact. You have to buy a premium SMPS for it. So go for FSP Saga II 500 Watts @ 2.9k or Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W @ 2.2k.
The local SMPS are marked as 500W are actually deliver less than the half of the mentioned power.Your case, when you starts to play games, the consumption suddenly increases, resulting the explosion of your SMPS.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
buy a corsair VX450 smps/PSU (has 5 yr warranty) for around 3.9~4k and you will be having peace of mind. local cheap PSUs don't have good quality components and can't supply proper current to discrete graphics cards esp. modern ones.

other PSUs that can be considered: Seasonic 430W, FSP Blue Storm Pro 400W

_

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
@satyatheunfair LOL..!! Enjoy for being so lucky dude :) The same incident constantly giving you chance. Enjoy that your proccy, mobo, gfx crd is intact. No one gets even one chance. Change your SMPS. Go for anyone you like from avobe two suggestions dude. And if I'm not wrong you are even running your pc with a replaced frontech smps. If so, immidiatete turn off your pc and take out the gfx crd. Install it again after you buy a good SMPS. You may not get another chance :)

Take it seriously :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
R u insane, no local SMPS are able to power an HD 4770 card. You are very lucky that ur system is intact. You have to buy a premium SMPS for it. So go for FSP Saga II 500 Watts @ 2.9k or Gigabyte 80 Plus Active PFC 460W @ 2.2k.
The local SMPS are marked as 500W are actually deliver less than the half of the mentioned power.Your case, when you starts to play games, the consumption suddenly increases, resulting the explosion of your SMPS.

yup. Gigabyte 460W or FSP 400W. anyone will be able handle that GPU with a descent system.

@satyatheunfair LOL..!! Enjoy for being so lucky dude :) The same incident constantly giving you chance. Enjoy that your proccy, mobo, gfx crd is intact. No one gets even one chance. Change your SMPS. Go for anyone you like from avobe two suggestions dude. And if I'm not wrong you are even running your pc with a replaced frontech smps. If so, immidiatete turn off your pc and take out the gfx crd. Install it again after you buy a good SMPS. You may not get another chance :)

Take it seriously :)

yup. he got 2 chances. others gets 0. man, HD4770 & Frontech PSU. these kind of explosive ideas are quite useful for the war lovers :grin:

OP
S

satyatheunfair

Broken In
A funny incident i would like to say. which was originally said by my vendor while he was selling 500 WATT frontech SMPS to me......

He said that..... I HAVE SOLD 500W FRONTECH SMPS WITH NVIDIA 9600GT...& is working well.

pls tell me ... was he TRUE??

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well......may he saw 9600GT working well with Frontech SMPS for some few hours. May be it've blown up in a day or so.

LOL. Frontech 500W SMPS has 15A in +12V1 and 16A in +12V2. Even 9500GT requires 19A in +12V. Forget about 9600GT :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
A funny incident i would like to say. which was originally said by my vendor while he was selling 500 WATT frontech SMPS to me......

He said that..... I HAVE SOLD 500W FRONTECH SMPS WITH NVIDIA 9600GT...& is working well.

pls tell me ... was he TRUE??

true. my friend using a Zotac 9600GT 512Mb with a iBall (400W) or maybe frontech (500W) smps. he been using it for past 1.5year without blowing up. he a Nvidia fanboy & hardly takes anyones advice, so not asked him change his PSU but i2 was surprised when heard he using his pc with such a PSU. 1 thing i not able get is, iBall or frontech PSU doesn't have any 6V rail. how does the 9600GT get external power?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Well......may he saw 9600GT working well with Frontech SMPS for some few hours. May be it've blown up in a day or so.

LOL. Frontech 500W SMPS has 15A in +12V1 and 16A in +12V2. Even 9500GT requires 19A in +12V. Forget about 9600GT :)

yes thats a very good possibility. the vendor send the cpu to the customer & after he starts Crysis at home................................ *BOOM*. pc khatam, game khatam :))

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well.....Theoritically and Practially it should not work. But luck may work sometimes. Now it's up to you, u wanna try your luck or be on a safe side :)

OP
S

satyatheunfair

Broken In
acctually my friend bought a 9800gtx .. but after purchassing he found that his LENOVO smps wattage was of only 350W.
he simply didn't gave ext. power supply.... and still he able to play for last 5-6 months.........HOW?:!:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
yes thats a very good possibility. the vendor send the cpu to the customer & after he starts Crysis at home................................ *BOOM*. pc khatam, game khatam :))

I loved the line "pc khatam, game khatam" :grin: :lol:

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

acctually my friend bought a 9800gtx .. but after purchassing he found that his LENOVO smps wattage was of only 350W.
he simply didn't gave ext. power supply.... and still he able to play for last 5-6 months.........HOW?:!:
Lenevo PSU??? :-o

Hearing it for 1st time. Any idea sam???

I only knew Lenevo makes lappy's. When did they start making PSU's too??

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ohhhh.......so do you know the brand and wattage of that SMPS??

It's not necessary that branded PC's wont bundle a good SMPS.

But 9800gtx on 350W PSU that even w/o external pwr supply luks wired. It should've BOOM'ed or FUSS'ed. Are you sure?? Does he plays at highest possible settings continuously??

If yes.......luks like u and ur friends came with inborn luck :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

yes. all branded PC comes with PSU enough to handle that pc's components. try OC or simply add a tv tuner card or so & it'll go up.

1 news: Dell have made the XPS line of desktop more like multimedia PC now & ships with i5 + H57 + GT240. powered by 350W PSU. they do offer a GTX260. but the funny part is they won't allow change of PSU. are they insane? they asking run a GTX260,,,,, on a 350W. even if its efficiency is 100%, i'll not run a GTX260 or even a GTS250 on a 350W. nope.

source: Fudzilla.

I loved the line "pc khatam, game khatam" :grin: :lol:

just came to my mind when thinking about the fate of the PC. and so the gamer.

Lenevo PSU??? :-o

Hearing it for 1st time. Any idea sam???

my mouth is still open. a 9800GTX without external power? asigh. someone call him man. TDF is becoming more & more indigestible nowadays. all sort of weird facts coming.

I only knew Lenevo makes lappy's. When did they start making PSU's too??

they don't. they simply buy OEM PSU & replace the sticker. say Forton or Seasonic PSU. of 80% efficiency but 350W. so they save lots of money there.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
As I said before......If all these are true.....I must say by listening to your and your friend's cases it seems that you and your friends came with inborn LUCK :)

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

asigh. someone call him man. TDF is becoming more & more indigestible nowadays. all sort of weird facts coming.

Ya...!! Call them yaar. BTW report all these issues to other tech forums and news. TDF will became more famous. And specially your friend. Chances are he'll get thousands of awards for running 9800gtx in 350W (bundled)PSU w/o any external pwr supply continuously. :smile:

OP
S

satyatheunfair

Broken In
i am not sure about the full graphics........ but sure that high gfx req games are easily played........... dont know wether he changes the settings or not......!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

where as his window rating saya 6.5 too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom