Free Antivirus

bhoolkumehul

Broken In
My configuration is below

P 4 1.7 GHz
512 MB DDR RAM
windows XP Pro SP2
Mercury Mobo with onboard VGA

which Free or paid antivirus will easily run on this system?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using Avira Antivir free since 2006.

another two alternatives you can try is avast home edition and AVG free edition - these two has offline update packs as well.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Use Avira Premium Security Suite for free
it has better update servers and update frequency and speed
and a "webguard"
you don't need to crack patch, it is legal :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you should have us the process or at least post the link to the method.

found it here

but you just can't use it for forever and it has 3 months license expiary date and you have to register for new license key and if the offers end there's no way to extend it further.

but in free version a valid license key is automatically obtained and it's valid for 6 months.

Is the premium method still working ??

BTW, we should really buy the premium version as it's the only method to pay the developers of this great Security suite or otherwise we should use the free version - IMO.

so Avira Free FTW!

^^even antivir has offline updates.

yep - it has just forgot to mention.

*www.avira.com/en/support-vdf-update-info

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I have recently started using "Microsoft Security Essential" with comodo firewall on few systems and I am loving it.

Its very light, easy to use and effective.

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Additionally
download Comodo Free Firewall,
MBAM as Ajai has suggested,Super Anti-Spyware and Hitman Pro,
Sandboxie(sandbox your browser)
Prevx Safeonline(Facebook x64)
WOT
Lastpass(free intuitive password manager)

I am telling you all this because?
Antivirus is never quite enough :-D

Last edited:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
My suggestion would be avira. Keep in mind though that having an antivirus doesn't guarantee you a virus free PC.
you should be careful about the sites you visit. Stay away from downloading screen savers specifically. Do no click on a link unless you are sure what it does. of course, you can trust reputes sites like yahoo, google, etc. But on facebook, orkut, twitter etc. where content is posted by users, make sure the link goes where it says before you click on it.
Also be careful with pen drives, use tweakUI to disable autorun on your PC completely. It is a good practice to scan a pen drive before opening it. If you find scanning takes too long, you can assume that if no virus is found in first 2 minutes, there is none on it.
If you download files using torrents, be sure to read comments and feedbacks regarding viruses or trojans.
If you find that the computer is taking too long to start up, check startup items. You can do this by going to start>run and typing msconfig then going to the startup tab. or you can use CCleaner and find the startup items under tools.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
^^^
+1 for CoolBuddy
@op
make a note of all the points he has mentioned
always remember
Antiviruses have their limitations, use your brain and habits can negate those limitations:-D

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
@Karan
AVIRA PSS and Avira Premium has Webguard built in
which checks every webpage you are opening for viruses realtime
alternatively you can use Prevx Safeonline(cloud based safeweb augmentation) which is available at their Facebook page for free giveaway:D

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I've been using Avira Antivir free since 2006.

another two alternatives you can try is avast home edition and AVG free edition - these two has offline update packs as well.

it'll tax his system. only 512Mb of DDR ram & a slow (& HOT) P4.

Additionally
download Comodo Free Firewall,
MBAM as Ajai has suggested,Super Anti-Spyware and Hitman Pro,
Sandboxie(sandbox your browser)
Prevx Safeonline(Facebook x64)
WOT
Lastpass(free intuitive password manager)

I am telling you all this because?
Antivirus is never quite enough :-D

MBAM is good. but i'll suggest using Emsisoft AntiMalware (its trial but has freeware mode) as scanner.

WOT is for Google Chrome only, i think or is available for Firefox also? also Comodo Firewall have sandbox builtin. but not sure if its as effective as Sandboxie.

Also be careful with pen drives, use tweakUI to disable autorun on your PC completely. It is a good practice to scan a pen drive before opening it. If you find scanning takes too long, you can assume that if no virus is found in first 2 minutes, there is none on it.

a very good suggestion. yes pendrive is the major source for virus but yes, i have (from my personal experience) found that some virus/worms stick to the end of the file system, or say are detected when the scanning is at 99%. so using smart extension helps (skipping .avi, .mp3, etc extensions).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it'll tax his system. only 512Mb of DDR ram & a slow (& HOT) P4.

are you talking about avira free edition - well it won't tax his system bcoz I've used it with the same config.

personally I think avast is a bit taxing on the system resource and AVG too.

Top Bottom