Firefox 4 Final Available Now

pauldmps

Banned
This.
Microsoft can; but IE sucks unlike Chrome so it's a completely different story.

So you are accepting that even if Microsoft advertises IE (it does on this forum itself), then also it won't gain market share but if Google advertises, then it gains market share.

Anyways, it is not an argument but don't put Chrome behind FF & Opera. It is as powerful as them if not better.

And I tried FF 4 today. Its minimalistic UI is great (borrowed from Chrome), Single menu for options at top is great (borrowed from Opera, which borrowed it from Chrome) & even tabs management has improved - now tabs pull out flexibly as new window & can be merged into single window(again copied from Chrome). Speed is still slower than Chrome.

Even the "about" box checks for updates like Chrome.

Rahim

Married!
Google has littered the web with small "Use Chrome Browser" and its like you can't hide from it no matter which sites you visit. Its there in your face.

Similar: One can't hide from the stupid high pitched news channels in India.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you are accepting that even if Microsoft advertises IE (it does on this forum itself), then also it won't gain market share but if Google advertises, then it gains market share.
Firstly, Microsoft can't advertise the way Google can. Google's homepage is the most visited page in the world. Their Adsense service is the most used in the world. YouTube again is the third most used website in the world. Just having something like "Try out Google Chrome" would woo so many people you'd ever imagine.

Anyways, it is not an argument but don't put Chrome behind FF & Opera. It is as powerful as them if not better.
Chrome, Firefox and Opera are my default browsers in Linux, Mac and Windows respectively.

And I tried FF 4 today. Its minimalistic UI is great (borrowed from Chrome), Single menu for options at top is great (borrowed from Opera, which borrowed it from Chrome) & even tabs management has improved - now tabs pull out flexibly as new window & can be merged into single window(again copied from Chrome). Speed is still slower than Chrome.

Even the "about" box checks for updates like Chrome.
Everyone copied the very idea of a web browser from Mosaic. :lol: Internet Explorer 7 has to be the first browser which gave the minimalistic UI by getting rid of the menu bar by default. ;) No one talks about it? But Chrome got rid of the title bar, I must say.

Here's how Opera looked to me 4 years ago with a very minor tweak:

*img40.imageshack.us/img40/3525/omenubarbutton.png

And here's how it looked in Mac:
*img62.imageshack.us/img62/6051/opera9.th.jpg (Menus are always on top for a Mac application)

Notice the closed tabs button on the right corner.

You could customize your UI completely in Opera since the version 6/7.

*img705.imageshack.us/img705/6910/operacustomize.th.jpg Drag and drop items to remove them.

Things existed before Chrome came, you just had to discover them. :p

Everyone copies things from everywhere. Nothing wrong.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
--

does anyone get angry with these things??

*img810.imageshack.us/img810/8123/chromeccleaner.png This was checked by default, I had to uncheck it.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Never found Chrome ads to be irritating to be honest (though never use Windows and never came across CCleaner and other stuff). Their ads are usually subtle and not "on your face type" at least in my experience.
As for Microsoft marketing their browser they do, check out TDF by logging out.
And the "Designed for IE6" is supposed to market an "Internet Explorer" anyway. :lol:

OP
leo61611616

leo61611616

Journeyman
--

does anyone get angry with these things??

*img810.imageshack.us/img810/8123/chromeccleaner.png This was checked by default, I had to uncheck it.

Hate it!! Developers are quite successful with such tactics as there are many users who would go on clicking Next after Next during installations.

murphw

Right off the assembly line
I have been using firefox for quite a while now and i have been pretty disappointed on how things are turning out. It all started with that plug-in container they incorporated on the latter releases of version 3. It was a good idea to be able to save your session even if plug-ins crash but it makes the interface really slow bordering annoying. Now they changed the look and went down chrome street. Being minimalistic is beauty but tools should still be present with physical buttons always readily available.

Top Bottom