Fire in Kolkata's AMRI hospital: 55 killed in Kolkata hospital fire

Tech&ME

Banned
It is now reported that the fire alarm was stopped so that employees can smoke inside. Is this a joke?

Unlikely tbh.

Apparently they switched off the fire alarms to prevent it from going off for false reasons.

Latest update is that a inquiry has been ordered. Just hope that the real culprits do not walk free due to some loopholes in the law.

Was there SMOKE DETECTORS installed in the first place ?? :shock:

I heard in the news story, they had removed them after the inspection by Fire Officials were over, when the building was given a LICENSE to operate as a health care facility.

In Kolkata, Smoke Detectors, Water Sprinklers, etc are available for RENT, which the building owners hire during inspection and return them back after getting the permission.

This practice should stop immediately. Officials should do a random check on every important public building every now and then, to ensure, this equipments are not removed and are working in proper condition.

You and I as a Citizen do have the right the inspect such equipment in the public buildings as well.

So, Guys keep your eyes open, the next time you visit a public building.

Some Tips:

When you go on a holiday and stay in a hotel or visit a Hospital, Railways Station / Metro Station / Airport / Malls.

You should be ready with some basic knowledge of the following:

1. You should know the nearest EXIT points from the building.

2. You should know what type of FIRE FIGHTING equipments are installed and where it is installed.

3. You should know how to operate a BASIC Fire Extinguisher ( Popular are ABC type )

4. Rescue others with yourself immediately from the building.

As I am a frequent Flyer I have noticed most of the passengers on an aircraft does not give attention to the instructions of the CREW, on safety measures.

However, at least one should know the BASIC.

1. How many EXITS are on the plane, and which is the nearest to his/her seat.

2. How to break open the DOORS of an aircraft.

3. Where the LIFE VEST is stored and how to use it.

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
Well, the smoke detectors were there, and they did work..in fact fire alarms went off too.
Sprinklers did not work because there was no fire inside the wards or the passages and the temp.did not rise even at 5 am to turn them on.
There were two fire exits in each floor mate, but when the lights were out the visibility was near zero, the thick smoke made matter worse.
One thing was never mentioned in any tv channel or news papers, neither the fire fighters nor the disaster management team had enough powerful light with them, the first respiratory mask appeared at 7AM.
How does the fire extinguisher help you in smoke?In fact the foam generated makes matter worse.
There was no fire in the wards, it was only smoke.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@Tech&ME: You have said:
When you go on a holiday and stay in a hotel or visit a Hospital, Railways Station / Metro Station / Airport / Malls.

You should be ready with some basic knowledge of the following:

Do you really expect patents can come out by themselves?
If they could they won't be there in the hospital.

Tech&ME

Banned
@Tech&ME: You have said:

Do you really expect patents can come out by themselves?
If they could they won't be there in the hospital.

Are there ONLY patient in a hospital ?? :shock:

- What about the relatives who are allowed to stay ( usually one ) with the patients ?

- What about visiting relatives ?

- What about nurses / ward boy / doctors / staffs ?

@d6bmg You as a visitor can also face such situation :wink:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@Tech&ME: didn't think about that scenario (actually I don't know the exact rules & regulations).

icebags

Technomancer
patients with highly serious condition/ under life support / icu treatment or the unconscious ones can't come out without professional care.

most these private hospitals are like these, they provide better treatment than govt hospitals in many cases but charge 5x/10x or more, take all the money but really care nothing about the patients.

OP
Tenida

Tenida

Gadget Freak
My friends Aunt lost her life in Amri Hospital :( She was admitted for broken legs and was supposed to discharge on the day the fire took place ....

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
RIP the ones who have lost their lives due to such a gross negligence of security measures, and that too in a hospital.
No one knows how many more would loose their lives, before such measures are thoroughly put to effective use. :|

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
Feeling very sad, I pray for their Rest in peace to god, those who are responsible for this miserable incident should be punished & be behind the bars.

nunkashta

Right off the assembly line
People tend to think of solution when there is a problem. There are so many buildings which flout rules. They pay some bribe and get away with the problem. It is the result of good people remaining silent. Ignorant people electing wrong candidate.

Top Bottom