Finally Shifted!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Okay guys...since this is becoming a master discussion thread for noobies of sorts...I just saw this video on YouTube (*www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kd42jIaHk&mode=related&search=) and now that I've managed to pick up my jaw off the floor...I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO UP MY COMP LIKE THAT!! What is he using?? I went to kde-look.com and its all very confusing there...can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to go about doing this??

cynosure

UbuntuUser
mehulved said:
It's quite easy to repair if you want to do so. But, I wonder how you corrupted the kernel in the first place. But, it's worth going for 7.04.
:D I used ndiswrapper to install win drivers for my LAN card (intex). The drivers provided with the card work only on kernel 2.4.x and 2.5.x.
After that day my PC dint boot into ubuntu. And I deleted the entries of the previous kernel from the GRUB boot menu a few days back:D

Right now I am using puppy linux as the last resort and it is using win drivers and the system is working flawlessly.

Will 7.04 work on my PC. Please read my signature for my system specs.

faraaz said:
Okay guys...since this is becoming a master discussion thread for noobies of sorts...I just saw this video on YouTube (*www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kd42jIaHk&mode=related&search=) and now that I've managed to pick up my jaw off the floor...I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO UP MY COMP LIKE THAT!! What is he using?? I went to kde-look.com and its all very confusing there...can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to go about doing this??
That thing is BERYL. It is kinda.... AERO for Linux (But linux guys never cheated the concept, they made it independently:D)

[SIZE=-1]www.beryl-project.org/ and www.google.co.in are your friends:D
Enjoy beryl here: *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_(window_manager)

PS: Sabayon and some other distros ship with default beryl. I read you were going to install sabayon in the first place:D
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
theme looks like wombat black. The dock is avant-navigator. Clock is cairo clock, I guess.
Icons you should be looking in gnome-look.org

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^^ Hey! I asked if 7.04 will work on my system?? Read my signature
I searched google and was not able to find a good answer.

mediator

Technomancer
faraaz said:
I dunno, too much like Windows Media Player and MusicMatch Jukebox I guess...and I HATE those players...really annoying.
Yeah :D. I hate WMP too. Xmms is really nice.
Neways for games do check out the thread/sticky by @subratabera!

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Nah...I've got a dual-boot system running at the moment with Winblows, so I can play my games just fine.

I've got a question...I'm considering converting the rest of my partitions to ext3 and storing all my songs and videos on these partitions. It will make life a lot easier for me while using Amarok, MPlayer, Kaffeine etc...is there any way to access these files on an ext3 partition from within Windows? In case of emergency??

If that is not possible, what file system should I be using where I can utilize files on both systems?? I mean...I've got a 300 GB HDD with 4 partitions of 70 GB originally...all in NTFS. I split one 70 GB partition into 2 of ~33 GB each with a swap partition as well and my Linux is running on this 33 GB partition. If I leave my Windows C: partition (70 GB) in NTFS, can I convert the rest of my partitions to say...FAT32 will work won't it?? So all my data can be stored on the FAT32 partitions...or am I just theorizing here??

mediator

Technomancer
*www.linuxforums.org/forum/misc/55351-reading-ext3-winxp.html

Leaving ur entertainment files on fat32 partitions wud be fine. U can read/write them from Linux and windows both!!

eddie

El mooooo
Whats the problem with leaving them as NTFS only? Why are you taking so much pain? You will unnecessarily waste time and will cause some serious hard drive activity for some hours (moving data between partitions).

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Mount a ntfs part on linux (requires a later kernel 2.4.x.x+):
Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda0 (1st drive on the 1st HDD {primary master})
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 (2nd drive on the 1st HDD {primary master})
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb0 (1st drive on the 2nd HDD {primary slave})
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 (2nd drive on the 2nd HDD {primary slave})

Note: I have written it according IDE ATA system

If you have more than 2 hard disks, type the same cmd on the terminal with correspondence letter given below:

/dev/hda(drive no.) {1st IDE Device}
/dev/hdb(drive no.) {2nd IDE device]
/dev/hdc(drive no.) {3rd IDE device}
/dev/hdd(drive no.) {4th IDE device}

hdc and hdd are usually CD/DVDs

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
eddie said:
Whats the problem with leaving them as NTFS only? Why are you taking so much pain? You will unnecessarily waste time and will cause some serious hard drive activity for some hours (moving data between partitions).

I read on the NTFS-3g page that support for NTFS drives is not fully reliable yet and that data can be at risk. Because of that I was concerned. Is this a non-issue? If so, then I'll leave it as it is, but I have a lot of critical data on my computer that I need, so I can't afford to lose it. I make regular backups, but still...its a lot of inconvenience to restore everything...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
NTFS-3G is perfectly stable.. I've been using it since beta stages.. Haven't lost a thing ever..

eddie

El mooooo
faraaz said:
I read on the NTFS-3g page that support for NTFS drives is not fully reliable yet and that data can be at risk. Because of that I was concerned. Is this a non-issue? If so, then I'll leave it as it is, but I have a lot of critical data on my computer that I need, so I can't afford to lose it. I make regular backups, but still...its a lot of inconvenience to restore everything...
NTFS-3G is now officially stable so you can be sure that there will be no data corruption. Such things happen with beta or testing drivers :)

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Ah...then in that case...I'll just convert my Multimedia partition to FAT32 then. It's really annoying at the moment because no media player is loading files from playlists and stuff automatically even with the driver installed as long as they are on NTFS drives... :(

If the music files are on FAT32 drives, then will Amarok read them automatically? And if I make a playlist of them and load that, will they work fine? Furthermore, is there any way to make this stuff work automatically from NTFS drives??

eddie

El mooooo
faraaz said:
If the music files are on FAT32 drives, then will Amarok read them automatically? And if I make a playlist of them and load that, will they work fine? Furthermore, is there any way to make this stuff work automatically from NTFS drives??
I have seen Amarok working fine while loading files even from read-only NTFS partitions. There should be no problem at all and no need to change to FAT32. If it is not working with NTFS...there is no reason why it will work with FAT32. There is some other problem and is not a file system issue. You should start a new thread with complete description of the problem you are facing and may be we will be able to help you.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
faraaz.. Amarok reads files from NTFS just fine here! You would need to re-create your playlists on linux because linux mount the drives under /media or /mnt, unlike C:\ or D:\ in windows..

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hmm...I see what you mean. I just tried making a fresh playlist through Amarok itself and it works just fine. Woo hoo!! :) Linux is rockin hard!

Okay, next problem guys. ...I activated Beryl with the Beryl manager but I am not getting all the effects. I've got the wobbling windows, I have the cube which rotates, but only horizontally and only when I drag windows from one virtual desktop to another. In the demo vids I've seen, the cube is rotatable as a whole unit with the mouse. How do you do that?? And also, how do you change themes in PCLOS?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Press ctrl + alt + left mouse button and move the mouse to move the cube around.
Themes for what KDE/GNOME/Beryl? It's not distro dependent but WM dependent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom