Finally Shifted!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Holy crap it works!!! :) :) :) You guys rock...you know that??!?

Okay...one more...where can I find a Dock/Widget bar applet like how you have ObjectDock for Win XP?? Preferably one which is easy to install and configure, works in PCLOS and KDE...

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
I got AWN...doesn't compile, it says I need GTK, GConf, Python dependencies etc. I opened up Synaptic and checked, I have every single dependency with correct version number installed.

WTH?!? :(

eddie

El mooooo
If deb's are anything like rpm's then did you install devel libraries? There should be separate packages with names suffixed with something like devel or dev. For example: gtk-devel or something like that.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
faraaz said:
I got AWN...doesn't compile, it says I need GTK, GConf, Python dependencies etc. I opened up Synaptic and checked, I have every single dependency with correct version number installed.

WTH?!? :(
Why compile?

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Because its not available in PCLOS repos and only the source is available on the AWN website, no binaries...

Hmm...so if I install the devel stuff, it will install fine? Lemme get back to you on that...

Edit: Just to be sure, I have to extract source to /root and then compile right?

Edit2: Okay, I've been trying to install the Domino 0.4 theme from KDE-Look.org...and while compiling, I get this error:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

What does this mean??

Edit3: Also, how do you activate a theme in Emerald Themer 0.2.0?

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
PClinux OS is based on mandriva/fedora linux right?.no need to get compiling from source.get urself rpms relevent for Mandriva/fedora.also remember installing rpms or compiling from source means u need to manually install dependencies to satisfy.
PCLinuxOS maintains its own software repository, available via the Advanced Packaging Tool (APT) and its Synaptic front-end, completely replacing Mandriva's urpmi. PCLinuxOS endeavors to maintain a fully valid upgrade path for version 1.0. This means that an installation could be continuously updated to the latest versions of packages, hence foregoing the need to re-install the entire distribution upon each successive release. In the test releases before 1.0, it has sometimes been necessary to perform a reinstallation.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCLinuxOS#Relationship_with_Mandriva_Linux
why dont u configure apt-4-rpm to manage packages?
*docs.mypclinuxos.com/Synaptic

eddie

El mooooo
faraaz said:
Edit: Just to be sure, I have to extract source to /root and then compile right?
No. Firstly in normal circumstances, you should not be having access to /root directory AT ALL. Are you using your OS as root account? If yes, then please don't do that. It is not only a security loop hole but if you accidentally delete some system files then it can also cause you unnecessary annoyance.

Secondly, you should create a temp or tmp directory in your home folder and then unpack all the sources in that folder. This helps you keep your home directory clean and manageable.
checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

What does this mean??
You need xorg devel libraries. Look for them in the package manager of your distro.
Edit3: Also, how do you activate a theme in Emerald Themer 0.2.0?
You need to run emerald-theme-manager, then import the theme file in there and just click on theme entry.

praka123

left this forum longback
faraaz said:
@praka123: Dude, I shifted like a week ago! :p I have no idea what you just said...
meh?I am just trying to say that Linux distros also got package updates(remember windows update service online?).just follow the links given.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom