Finally Shifted!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzu

AJJU
hey i installed mandriva and during starting up its asking local host USERNAME but i didnt give any username or pass what the HELL is the prob help me

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
thats not possible. u cudn't haf installed an OS widout creating a user and assigning a password. u'd haf even given the root password. well there are ways to boot into single user mode and then reset the root password. its on the forums, just search. u'll find it.

azzu

AJJU
help me man iam just novice to all this can u tell me that here how to boot and how to reset pass btw iam usin xp toooo

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ok here it is...

praka123 said:
reset root password from grub(grub is the OS's menu).
while booting do this fast as the boot options are hidden in fedora?(if hidden press ESC):
press "e" while selecting fedora name in boot menu.
then check the "kernel /boot/vmlinuz" and append digit "1" or "single" in the last of the kernel line with a space by again pressing "e".after typing "1",press Enter.then press kbd "b" for booting into single user.when u get a "#" prompt alas,try as below:
Code:
~#passwd
enter new root password twice as prompted and write down somwhere as u may forget..
this is for fedore core buy will work wid mandriva as well if using grub boot loader.

The Unknown said:
It was going OFF-TOPIC. A fight between me and u. I didn't want to start a debate on such a silly topic. :)

come on man.. i was not fighting. just mentioning my experience :)

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
infra_red_dude said:
ok here it is...

this is for fedore core buy will work wid mandriva as well if using grub boot loader.

come on man.. i was not fighting. just mentioning my experience :)
Just forget it. :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^yep forgotton! :)

@azzu
grub is the bootloader which is invoked when u boot ur comp. it will give u a menu to boot into windows and linux.

wait a min... does mandriva 2007 use lilo instead of grub? wait lemme check out.

yes, it seems so. try the method posted. jus try to find entries wid mandriva instead of the mentioned fedora during the boot up menu.

Last edited:

azzu

AJJU
i entered e during start up but it doesnt work help me

OR SIMPLY TELL ME HOW TO UNISTALL LINUX (SCOLDING MYSELF COZ I DUNNO ANYTHN BUT JUS INTALLED LINUX :( )

iam goin to bring another linux suggest me the best :D

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ this is how u learn and things which u learn this way are never forgotten! haf patience. you'll get around it.... did u select the mandriva boot entry in the menu and then press 'e'? u need to do that.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
I made two of my friends shift(not completely) to ubuntu 7.04.
And since my ubuntu 6.06's kernel is corrupted :D I think I will completely format the HD and shift to 7.04 myself.
Rite now I am using puppy and its SO CUTE:D

azzu

AJJU
man how to format my linux partion is 18 gb but it shows only 8 gb rest is used by linux if i format only that 8 gb part is formatting not the total 18 gb

cynosure

UbuntuUser
faraaz said:
Format your ext3 partition...and reboot from LIVE cd...its what I do to reinstall.

Its in the blood of long time windows user:D:D
Even I used to do that when I was using win.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
I am not a genius when it comes to linux. Heres a kaam-chalau solution.
Just get any new linux distro and start your PC with the CD/DVD in the ROM.
When it starts installing it will ask for the partition in which you want to install the linux. Choose that 18GB partition and format it. I hope this helps. I would have done that if I were the same problem:)

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ I use ubuntu. Its good.
Faraaz used PC linux and he says its good too.
Even saboyan is good but mehulved (he's a genius) asked faraaz to use PC linux first.

So either go for PC linux or ubuntu. Install that distro which you can get easily.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
cynosure said:
Even saboyan is good but mehulved (he's a genius) asked faraaz to use PC linux first.

So either go for PC linux or ubuntu. Install that distro which you can get easily.
Even sabayon is quite easy unless you're averse to CLI and reading. I hang around on Sabayon IRC channel and have seen that most of the people who have tough time with sabayon are either averse to reading or CLI.

Only downside of sabayon is that installing apps takes really long since everything is compiled from the source.
I advised him to stay with PCLinuxOS since he's already using it. It's not a good idea to do distro hopping right at the start. There's already so much to learn(and also unlearn things that are second nature in windows).

cynosure said:
And since my ubuntu 6.06's kernel is corrupted :D
It's quite easy to repair if you want to do so. But, I wonder how you corrupted the kernel in the first place. But, it's worth going for 7.04.

infra_red_dude said:
^^^ this is how u learn and things which u learn this way are never forgotten! haf patience. you'll get around it.... did u select the mandriva boot entry in the menu and then press 'e'? u need to do that.
Press Ctrl+X instead of 'e' then you'll get boot prompt. Type 'linux single'
Then once booting up completes type
Code:
passwd
Then type your new password
Code:
shutdown -r now
to reboot. Or reboot command may also work.
Or try typing
Code:
init 5
It should bring you to graphical login, I guess. I am not so familiar with Mandriva's runlevels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom