Final config : Last word & last min suggestion(s)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hi,

with your able assistance, constant advice by friends, and consistent & brain-swelling fact-finding done by myself, i have finally decided to take the plunge for the following gaming PC config for myself...it was a matter of about 2-2.5 weeks for the process, but it seemed like much more ! starting from a lesser budget of 30-40k, it was just a matter of time when it sky-rocketed to about 80k ! but this happens with me, and most of us, when we desire of purchasing something with cautious efforts & full-proof verification. without boring you any further, i am presenting to you below the final config, and would like you people to post in your comments freely, and suggestions, if any :

CPU + Mobo --- Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge + Asus P8Z68 V-Pro B3-Revision (i chose this one amongst ASRock Extreme 4 Z68, Asus Maximus Gene-IV Z, Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3R-B3, etc)

GPU --- MSI N580GTX Lightning 1.5GB DDR5 (Chose this one amongst MSI GTX560TI Hawk, MSI N570GTX TF2, MSI R6950 2GB TF3 PE, etc)

PSU --- Corsair TX850 V2 (Still there's a competitor left for this one, namely GlacialTech's 950W Modular PSU...will decide on the word of seller himself)

Cabinet --- CM HAF-X (Chose this one amongst NZXT Tempest EVO, CM 690 II Adv, CM HAF 912 Adv, NZXT Phantom, Lancool PC-K62, Corsair Obsidian, Antec DF-85, Antec 1200, and a whole bunch of others !)

CPU Cooler --- CM Hyper 212+ (Chose this one amongst Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright IFX-14, etc)

RAM --- Gskill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz F3-12800-CL9D 8GBXL (2 x 4GB) (Chose this one amongst Gskill Sniper, Corsair Vengeance.)

HDD - Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Total Cost = Rs. 83,746 (even am surprised while typing this figure....LOL) :-o :razz:

(and i already have Benq's G2420HD, Logitech's 2.1 Speakers, and mouse & keyboard)

Comments invited ! feel free to suggest, or add-on something to this, or suggestion regarding any worthwhile accessories that i should consider buying as a complement to this config...

will be going to lamington road this saturday (6th of august) at primeabgb for assembling.

P.S. - I already have an X360 & PS3. I hope i would be able to use their controllers (atleast of the X360) for PC Gaming too ?! pls correct me if am wrong.

Thanks a lot ! :)

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
If you want Machine for Gaming then Go for 2500K and save 5000 Rs. It gives exact same performance if not more than 2600K In Gaming.

Mobo is Great go for it.

GPU - I suggest go for HD 6850 CF. It beats 580 and will cost you 9k Less..

AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

PSU is fine.

Cabinet is no issue.

CPU Cooler I think Noctua is better than Hyper. But Not sure about it.

Also if you have followed above suggestion and saved 14K Rs then Buy a SSD of 60 GB and Boost your overall system response in a noticeable way.

JTdhaval

Broken In
By the way did Primeabgb offer you any discount or Bargain..because am planning to bt desktop to withina week or two..

d3p

PowerHouse
^^My suggestion will be to wait for another one month i.e till sept end. Probably BD & HD7xxx launching will make sure the prices of all the components to reduce a bit at least.

In other words, Intel & Current gen GPU will get tough competitors & end users like us can get lot of other options in terms of raw performance or save some money out of these.

D

Deleted member 118788

Better Go 6870 Crossfire or 6950 crossfire they will blast out 580.
Overclock3D :: Review :: MSI GTX580 Lightning Review :: AvP and Crysis Warhead

6850 CF Will Cost You Approx 18K
6870 CF Will Cost You Approx 22K
6950 CF Will Cost You 30K

They All Will Beat 580 By a Very Good Margin.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
To All,

thanks for those suggestions folks ! but going by 2-3 things that are consistently getting reflected in these suggestions, i would like to put forth my view here on which my decision is based...actually i should've clarified on them earlier itself...hehe....sorry :-

1} why 2600K and not 2500K ?

actually i chose 2600K over 2500K as i would not like to consider any CPU upgrade for sometime in the near future, and since it was in my budget, i thought why not get the best instead, and why not look ahead to something which is a bit more than 'just sufficient' ?!

[@ tech_wiz --- wont like to save money for an SSD, though i read that SSD upgrade is the next big thing to come up, i seriously am not interested in it for now...also, the PC wont be used exclusively for just gaming...i would also like to do some encoding jobs, music-making, etc, though it wont hurt to still say that gaming would be the prime thing i would like to do on the PC ;) ]

2} why not HD6xxx in CF ?

honestly, i dont want to jump into CF/SLI straight-away...after reading your suggestions i did a small research myself and have come to the conclusion that for gaming at full HD reso, 580 is a powerful high-end card in a single GPU set-up (my objective)...and i plan to later SLI this with another 580 in future when this model will find it struggling to keep pace with newer arrivals ;) and its nvidia for me ! no hard-feeling for fantastic AMD whatsoever, but its after many years that i will be returning to PC-Gaming scene, and i would like to experience Physx, CUDA, nvidia HD Video, etc at fast speeds of a factory-OCed card like 580 Lightning in a single GPU set-up....let me experience it myself whether the journey would be worth it or not, with a powerful card complementing a powerful processor ;)

3} why not noctua cpu cooler ?

no plan to OC just in a go...would like to 'warm-up' first...hehe.....first timer....i repeatedly read that in budget coolers and OCing from 3.6-4.5GHz, hyper is bang-for-buck ! though ofcourse, if i plan to take it a few notches higher, or if i find need fora replacing, i would obviously opt for NH-D14 or some other good cooler later on, which incidentally was on my list before i replaced it with hyper...thought hyper would be apt for now on entry-level.....let me get a hang of things first...sure can upgrade later on on a few things :)

@ JTdhaval --- yes he gave me some rebates...talk to Mr. Ashok there for discounts on your overall system, but pls dont quote my instance there, as i was helped in this by a friend of mine and incidentally an acquaintance of Mr. Ashok ;) lol

@ d3p5kor --- your advice is a very valuable one, but if the price-drops are gonna be just 'slight', i might be better off getting it now itself, since it is after way long time that i have firmly decided to finally upgrade my PC, put in good efforts to convince & justify the 'need' of a new PC in my parents' eyes for whom my existing laptop was just enough, and about to take the plunge.......i guess you could understand how itchy i must be feeling to go there and simply grab my coveted PC and run towards home....lol.....and as it is, its better to just 'build-and-forget' a PC in a world where nothing is future-proof in comp & tech...thats exactly what am gonna do ;) hope you dont mind...entirely my decision.

@ geek-with-lens --- i have explained about my concerns as regards to GPU above. wont like to CF/SLI right away. BTW, are you there on TE by the name of 'Hades' ? i guessed since i was going through a thread there on 'HD6970 or GTX 580', and the content of one the posts there is very much similar to what you've posted here...lol.....just asking....

thanks

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi,

with your able assistance, constant advice by friends, and consistent & brain-swelling fact-finding done by myself, i have finally decided to take the plunge for the following gaming PC config for myself...it was a matter of about 2-2.5 weeks for the process, but it seemed like much more ! starting from a lesser budget of 30-40k, it was just a matter of time when it sky-rocketed to about 80k ! but this happens with me, and most of us, when we desire of purchasing something with cautious efforts & full-proof verification. without boring you any further, i am presenting to you below the final config, and would like you people to post in your comments freely, and suggestions, if any :

CPU + Mobo --- Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge + Asus P8Z68 V-Pro B3-Revision (i chose this one amongst ASRock Extreme 4 Z68, Asus Maximus Gene-IV Z, Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3R-B3, etc)

GPU --- MSI N580GTX Lightning 1.5GB DDR5 (Chose this one amongst MSI GTX560TI Hawk, MSI N570GTX TF2, MSI R6950 2GB TF3 PE, etc)

PSU --- Corsair TX850 V2 (Still there's a competitor left for this one, namely GlacialTech's 950W Modular PSU...will decide on the word of seller himself)

Cabinet --- CM HAF-X (Chose this one amongst NZXT Tempest EVO, CM 690 II Adv, CM HAF 912 Adv, NZXT Phantom, Lancool PC-K62, Corsair Obsidian, Antec DF-85, Antec 1200, and a whole bunch of others !)

CPU Cooler --- CM Hyper 212+ (Chose this one amongst Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright IFX-14, etc)

RAM --- Gskill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz F3-12800-CL9D 8GBXL (2 x 4GB) (Chose this one amongst Gskill Sniper, Corsair Vengeance.)

HDD - Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Total Cost = Rs. 83,746 (even am surprised while typing this figure....LOL) :-o :razz:

(and i already have Benq's G2420HD, Logitech's 2.1 Speakers, and mouse & keyboard)

Comments invited ! feel free to suggest, or add-on something to this, or suggestion regarding any worthwhile accessories that i should consider buying as a complement to this config...

will be going to lamington road this saturday (6th of august) at primeabgb for assembling.

P.S. - I already have an X360 & PS3. I hope i would be able to use their controllers (atleast of the X360) for PC Gaming too ?! pls correct me if am wrong.

Thanks a lot ! :)

Not sure if already made up your mind. But as for I5 procy your current choice of cooler is fine but since you gone for z based board better go for atleast cm v6gt cooler. Its should be a min req if you planning to overclock as the i7 Would definitely shoots hot at gaming.

Can you justify the current case inspite of NZXT SERIES.

Why crosair power while glacial is more compactible and future proof.

Inspite why you choosen a low profile ram instead try atleast closer to 2000mhz . People say only bench mark it will show the difference. But its good and had some improvement over the period of time. Better go for closer to 2000 or more than that.

D

Deleted member 118788

@ geek-with-lens --- i have explained about my concerns as regards to GPU above. wont like to CF/SLI right away. BTW, are you there on TE by the name of 'Hades' ? i guessed since i was going through a thread there on 'HD6970 or GTX 580', and the content of one the posts there is very much similar to what you've posted here...lol.....just asking....

thanks

I'm not on Tech Enclave.:smile:

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Not sure if already made up your mind. But as for I5 procy your current choice of cooler is fine but since you gone for z based board better go for atleast cm v6gt cooler. Its should be a min req if you planning to overclock as the i7 Would definitely shoots hot at gaming.

Can you justify the current case inspite of NZXT SERIES.

Why crosair power while glacial is more compactible and future proof.

Inspite why you choosen a low profile ram instead try atleast closer to 2000mhz . People say only bench mark it will show the difference. But its good and had some improvement over the period of time. Better go for closer to 2000 or more than that.

hmm...i just read several posts where people using Hyper 212+ quoted that they were highly satisfied with its performance in normal use with i7, and with slight OCing. earlier had planned to get NH-D14, but then ditched that idea. might rethink after a further review then, or would definitely buy this noctua one if i plan to OC a bit higher...

i opted for a full-tower after declining the idea of getting a mid-tower (evo, pc-k62 & 912 adv) just from the point of future upgrades-issue (like multi-gpu set-up, bigger cooler, etc). selected HAF-X after really a lot of study on the net. against all its contenders in its price-range (like antec's df-85, 1200...a few thermaltake ones, lancool, etc), this case weighed heavily on its pros and stood its ground as far as looks, efficiency and sturdiness go ! hence the choice. also had considered phantom, but saw it personally at prime (red-coloured one)...was good, but felt a bit toyish, and was wee bit tinier and compact than HAF-X. that sealed the deal for me !

about PSU my decision's still hanging upside down...am waiting for the seller's word...corsair's A.S.S. is brilliant i suppose, and about glacial i have no idea. would see what the dealer recommends.

and thanks for telling about the RAM thing ! but alas, i placed an order for an 8GB set of ripjaws X over at prime y'day in 'cool deal' offer. is en route my home now...never mind though :)

thanks

I'm not on Tech Enclave.:smile:

ahh...my bad :)

JTdhaval

Broken In
@kilroyquasar dont worry wont quote your name ..by the way can you tell me around how much % or amount discount they gave you so..i get an idea to bargain..please..

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hi all,

hope everyone's fine. so some of you suggested for change in CPU Cooler, i've decided to get a better one, either of the following :

1. NH-D14 (most likely would go for this...a real performing behemoth...getting for 4750/- at theitwares)

2. CM V6GT (absolute eye-candy...also a performer but cant match NH-D14's prowess...the only thing that's tempting me to look the other way at itself....price is 4300/- at theitwares)

wont be OCing like hell........kindly suggest between the two for operation at normal gaming-loads, 24-hr operation, etc...

thanks

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
V6GT looks quite a bit costlier. At that price the Noctua D14 is recommended. Not to forget it's definitely the better performer. If available, you may also look for Thermaltake Frio.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
I have seen comparative analysis and reviews of the three....D-14 is by far the best of the lot, and frio is more a suitable contender for V6GT than D-14...hence i will be getting the D-14 only. correct me if am wrong though.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing wrong, only that Frio would be some 1k cheaper than D14 and would be sufficient as you don't want to OC like hell. ;)

But if you want to spend the money, D14 is the top dog.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hey and one issue.....i recently bought ripjaws X.....heat sinks are big....any interference with D-14's fan ?

Top Bottom