File Manager - For documents like picasa is for pictures

AVT

Clueless Noob
I have lots of 2-15 pages pdf files, office documents and I want them in a location from where they are easy to access.

I had the same problems with my pictures but picasa takes care of the problem beautifully. Is there some comparable functionality availabe for office documents ?

I'd just like to have a watched folder where I can add documents and when i open my software it tells me these files haven't been tagged and don't belong to any album (or folders). I could tag these files with multiple tags and put then in multiple folders (without actual duplication to save file space).

Also when i tag these files, those tags sholud be written on file itself so when i switch computers, those files have their tags not erased just because i pulled them out of the software.

I tried paperport and its incredibly bloatware filled and intrusive (mybe just for me since my needs are simple)

I have tried mendeley (nicest one but, too limited to scientific papers and constantly trying to save to cloud is something i don't prefer)

Benubird pdf is okay i guess but too amateur and it constantly crashes.

Tabbles has a 1000 file limit.

Any other suggestions from the members will me most welcome. Or any other system you have in place for same problem as me would be incredibly helpful.

thanks.

OP
AVT

AVT

Clueless Noob
Calibre is great and I sort of tried storing in calibre, but it gets messy real fast when you have as many as ebooks that I have. Also it gets very slow.

But calibre is definitely the top ebook software. In fact, calibre and picasa (for photos) are what prompted me to think that a free software would be ideal for my situation rather than paid ones like paperport.

If nobody has a better alternative I will try to divide my file management duties between benubird, mendeley, tabbles and calibre.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I find google drive very good. Drag n Drop. And if 5GB sounds less to you, try Sky drive from MS, they provide 25GB (heard they lowered it to 7GB, not sure).

OP
AVT

AVT

Clueless Noob
I find google drive very good. Drag n Drop. And if 5GB sounds less to you, try Sky drive from MS, they provide 25GB (heard they lowered it to 7GB, not sure).

I think perhaps you may have misread my question or mybe I wasn't very clear. Those are cloud back up options. I need something that will keep the numerous documents I have on my desktop organized.

Top Bottom