File extension renamer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Guys.. I want a Mass File Extension Renamer. So that I can rename the extensions of files of a whole folder. I have search a lot but in vain. Never got what I wanted. A SIMPLE mass file extension renamer. Those that I got in the net were a bit too complex and gave too many options that confused me.. :(

PS: I am using Windows XP SP3 if that helps..

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
RenWiz
www.renwiz.com

One of the feature-packed but simplest renamers I've ever seen. I use it all the time. Get a *cough*cough* copy and you wont regret it. Trust me.

edit: have you tried command? here's an example...
Code:
ren *.txt *.mp4

swatkat

Technomancer
What a coincidence! I was searching for this kind of tool this morning and found one too. Métamorphose is a very powerful, free and open-source tool to do mass/batch file operations like renaming, changing file extensions, MP3 IDv3 tag editing etc. Get it here:
*file-folder-ren.sourceforge.net/
It can recurse through all the sub-folders as well. The user interface is little confusing. However, I managed to change the file extensions of around 2000+ files in a two clicks ;)

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

@dheeraj_kumar...
Command? didnt get ya.. I have been poor in learning and carrying out even simple commands. In fact, I never cared about them. But if you tell me what and how, maybe I can. :neutral:

@swatkat
Thanks for that. lemme try. You say the interface is confusing, this is something that bothers me. but maybe its bit too early to give an opinion w/o tryin. :)

swatkat

Technomancer
Here are the steps to do batch file extension changing in Métamorphose:
1. In the "Picker" tab, click the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder where files, whose extensions are to be changed, are present.

2. Once the path is specfied, select/check the "Walk" checkbox. This will make Métamorphose to loop through sub-folders. Check this screenshot:
*file-folder-ren.sourceforge.net/screenshots/M1/screenshot_1_large.png

3. Next, click the "Main" tab and select the "Extension" checkbox that is present in fron of "Operation to act on" option.

4. Select the "Search" checkbox. Here, select the "Text" radio button and give the file existing file extension in the textbox. For example, if the files have JPEG as extension and you want to change it to JPG, give JPEG here in the textbox.

5. Select the "Replace with" radio button and type the new file extension in the textbox opposite to it. For example, you can give the new extension JPG here. A reference screenshot can be found here:
*file-folder-ren.sourceforge.net/screenshots/M1/screenshot_2_large.png

6. Click "Go!". Métamorphose will change the extension *.JPEG to *.JPG for all files in the specified folder.

OP
IronManForever

IronManForever

swatcat said:
Here are the steps to do batch file extension changing in Métamorphose:
1. In the "Picker" tab, click the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder where files, whose extensions are to be changed, are present.

2. Once the path is specfied, select/check the "Walk" checkbox. This will make Métamorphose to loop through sub-folders. Check this screenshot:
*file-folder-ren.sourceforge.n...ot_1_large.png

3. Next, click the "Main" tab and select the "Extension" checkbox that is present in fron of "Operation to act on" option.

4. Select the "Search" checkbox. Here, select the "Text" radio button and give the file existing file extension in the textbox. For example, if the files have JPEG as extension and you want to change it to JPG, give JPEG here in the textbox.

5. Select the "Replace with" radio button and type the new file extension in the textbox opposite to it. For example, you can give the new extension JPG here. A reference screenshot can be found here:
*file-folder-ren.sourceforge.n...ot_2_large.png

6. Click "Go!". Métamorphose will change the extension *.JPEG to *.JPG for all files in the specified folder.
You said two clicks. :p Anyways awesome man. Thank you. I have finally renamed my collection of *.dat to *.mpg. :D

redhat

Mad and Furious
^^ Go to start -> Run -> Type "cmd"
then navigate to the folder that contains the files u wish to rename
This is done by typing in "cd.." to navigate backwards and "cd <folder name>" for a folder in the current directory
then type in "ren *.txt *.mp3"
assuming that you have all .txt files that u wish to rename to mp3

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
^^ Yep. Sorry IronMan, didnt notice your post. * stands for "all" so *.txt is all files having a txt extension. It renames all txt to mp3, having the same file name. "ren" is the command for rename.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom