Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi friends , I have just started using Linux (FC5).

I was wondering if hibernate(as in windows) is possible in linux also???

Also , is there any way by which we can access linux partition in windows????

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Phenom, If you want to access Linux partition from Windows O.S , use Explore2fs.
Using Explore2fs, you can access (read) any Linux ext2 & ext3 filesystems.
Download it from here
Yes, hibernating is possible in Linux. I haven't tried it myself.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
This site has a software which may help u out.
*atrpms.net/dist/fc5/hibernate-suspend2/hibernate-suspend2-1.93-0cubbi1.noarch.rpm.html
;-)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Phenom, then you can download & install Explore2fs. It can access the Ext3
filesystem.It's pretty similar to Explorer. It's also very easy to use.
The link provided by @Tech Geek, hibernate-suspend2, will do the job of
hibernation. After installing the package, open the Terminal Window & type:
$ hibernate -h
It will display the options available. Also you need to modify the file '/etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf'
$ su -
(Enter root password)
# gedit /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf
Make the changes in the file & as per the output of the command 'hibernate -h'

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i dont think we need a special config to hibernate.
just go to the logout screen & choose hibernate:p

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well atleast Ubuntu has hibernate option that I can see. Never used it though. Nither have I used it in Windows :D.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^^
ya its no use for u, and also there no use of shutdown command for u, as u never shutdown the pc:p

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I had used ubuntu Hibernate option. But it has got a problem.
When I hibernate then the display goes off for some time and then comes back but when I hibernate it again then it hibernates sucessfully

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gary4gar said:
^^^^
ya its no use for u, and also there no use of shutdown command for u, as u never shutdown the pc:p
Yeah only button useful to me is Reboot, since I need it to go from Ubuntu to SLED and vice versa or maybe boot some live CD's in between.
In fact the shutdown button on my PC, funnily enough cos that's the most unused part of my PC, isn't working since feb. Just have some wires connected externally in case I need to power on my PC after a power cut.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
me too ordered it but did'nt recieved it so i am downloading all 5 cd's now.
will give it a try:p

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
is there any way that all partitions get automounted every time I start my pc instead of manually maountin them one by one.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hi friends ,
I m using FC5 and I always use root account.
In this whenever I try to search it says Beagle cannot run as root.
what to do??
Please dont say use another account.
i want search to be enabled in root account.

mediator

Technomancer
:shock: OMG, U use root account?? There are a lotta apps that say that they cannot be run as root becoz of security reasons! Sorry, but U have to switch to normal account. Neways why do use root account neways?? All the activites can be done from normal account too! Start using normal account please, if any probs u face then bring em here!

I'm on Fc5 too, but I never used root except for installing softwares and other little things!

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
I have always used admin account in windows , hence I wanted to use root coz I dont want any restrictions while using the system and want full control over the system.
BTW , whats so wrong about using root???? How is security affected when we use root account???
Please give more details.
Also can we do anything in normal user account( except installing softwares , etc. as u said ) ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom