Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
Well there are a lotta dangers involved in using root! The best and simplest given was by @mehul. Check the link! Sometimes in ur grumpy mood u start to fiddle around with system when u dont have nothing else to do. Then u start comparing the disk space available and then start to delete the things u dont know about and u think of them as useless. I hope u got mah point. Thats a very common case with windows users! To know further I guess little googling will be good for ya!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Phenom, You must use a normal account for login. Only for installing applications
& running some System administration commands use ( su - from the Terminal Window)
Remember logging in as root comes with a heavy price. If you screw up something.
It's too dangerous, you should understand the risks involved. Linux O.S will become unstable & unusable!!
So better use a normal user account from now on.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
And you also consider the slim evet of getting infected by a root kit. If that happens to a root user, there is nothing else you can do but format the whole partition(s) on which that distro is installed. Rootkits are almost impossible to remove AFAIK.
So, if you don't have root privilege on your user account, a root kit cannot go beyond your home directory. Also check if
Code:
 sudo -s -H
leads you into root console without prompting for password. That is another hazard. If your account is compromised, then logging in as a root will be a piece of cake then.
In short, if you have root permissions, your whole system is exposed to malicious activities. But, if any other user account is compromised then it's not too likely to compromise the whole system, just your account.
I am not so good at the security aspect. Maybe others can shed more light on more issues with using root.
Another thing is some sites are wary of users browsing the net as root cos root has unlimited powers and a expert user can do a lot of damage to the host if he intends to.

praka123

left this forum longback
But tech ur future,see sudo -S -H isnt easliy comprimising as /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow are not accessible for any hackers via sudo because it's permissions prevent it from writing,execution etc afaik.

Code:
prakash@etch:~$ ll /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1118 Sep 26 07:36 /etc/passwd
prakash@etch:~$ ll /etc/shadow
-rw-r----- 1 root shadow 754 Sep 26 07:36 /etc/shadow
even ubuntu distributions uses sudo as default.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Code:
$ ls -l `which sudo`
-rw[b]s[/b]r-xr-x  1 root root 98488 Mar 21  2006 /usr/bin/sudo*

prakash, sudo binary is SETUID root. It can do whatever a root user can do, even when a normal user executes it.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
I tried using normal account but I m unable to use net in it , the command /sbin/ifup ppp0

gives message permission denied.

what to do?????
I can use net in root and also in normal user but using su -

please tell.

mediator

Technomancer
Yea the services/daemons/ethernets etc can be started only by root. U can enable any service to start automatically at startup or manually like in ur case. Neways there is an option available in Fc5 (in preferences i think) and in knoppix so that normal users can also start/stop these things.
Its Been a long time since I explored Fedora's settings. I'll tell ya when I'll explore it again! Neways u keep trying, n tell if u find the settings box!

praka123

left this forum longback
check ur member groups using "groups" command.for using net as local user perhaps u be under the "dip" group.add dip as ur secondary group.yes it is tried on debian etch

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
hey guys , when I use my normal account in FC5 , I only have r_x permissions on my Vfat partitions , I cant write anything.
how to solve this problem???
also , there is a virus in my XP windows C:\documents and settings\....
I tried login to linux as root and try delete that file but it shows locked and is not being deleted. what is the solution??? is there any file unlocker for linux also????

mediator

Technomancer
NO thats not a problem. All u need is to give write permission to windows partitions! Here follow this *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=323902&postcount=2
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38660&highlight=partition

But I advice not to give write permission to C: drive, let it be read,execute only! One wrong step can erase ur whole Xp drive from normal users mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom