Fedora Linux 8 Final Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in free and open source software. Fedora is always free for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. It is built by people across the globe who work together as a community: the Fedora Project. The Fedora Project is open and anyone is welcome to join.

Its not yet on the official website, but it is available on the ftp server.

Download Link 1

Source

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Werewolf officially is still 3 days away :?

Nice leak, just like old times :p

Eh wait, the source doesn't confirm it :\

OP
sachin_kothari

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
QwertyManiac said:
Werewolf officially is still 3 days away :?

Nice leak, just like old times :p

Eh wait, the source doesn't confirm it :\
i know, it cant be trusted, but the download link does confirm it.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Already??? I installed Fedora 7 just 3 weeks back :sad:
Huh, I hope atleast this time I get some time to upgrade mah system from FC5 to F8. :oops:

Neways, just checked it out something new....

PulseAudio is a next generation sound server for Linux, making all sorts of "ear-candy" possible: from dynamically changing the volume of individual applications to hot-plugging support for many different devices. Fedora 8 is going to be the first distribution to ship and enable PulseAudio by default and with this in mind we talked to LennartPoettering who is the upstream and Fedora developer of PulseAudio and Avahi about the work he has put in to this.
*fedoraproject.org/wiki/Interviews/LennartPoettering

developer said:
As long as you only play MP3 music or movies everything is fine with the traditional Linux audio architecture. However, if you want to do anything beyond that, the classic Linux audio architecture is too simple. In comparison to what MacOS X or Windows Vista offer plain ALSA is more like a 90's audio system -- although from a technical standpoint the Linux kernel and the ALSA could offer a lot more for implementing a userspace sound system. The Linux kernel is quite useful as a real-time kernel nowadays, and since the Free Software community controls the whole audio stack from kernel through drivers to userspace we can offer a much better system. And thus we now have PulseAudio.
See the next question for a few examples of things you cannot with classic ALSA-only Linux audio system, but which you can do by using PulseAudio.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
What the hell is wrong with fedora? why are they releasing these so soon..? :confused: .. if I just check my dvd collection there is only one thing there .. Fedora.. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. and that to on multiple DVD's :mad:

praka123

left this forum longback
I want to try pulse audio on my sid(debian).pulseaudio-esound-compat package will replace esound(esd) and clients i suppose.what is the glitch u find with pulsecore audio?infact there is jackaudio etc too :?

yeah,although rpm mess is there,Fedora got X Font Server by default,now pulsecore audio :) lasttime i tried fedora with internet connected,its pirut manager is hanging and struggling to download and install dependencies.FC5 i think(or FC4?)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
My MPlayer needs hacks to get itself working. There are backspace beeps I can't stop. So far only these irritations.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Charan said:
What the hell is wrong with fedora? why are they releasing these so soon..? :confused: .. if I just check my dvd collection there is only one thing there .. Fedora.. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. and that to on multiple DVD's :mad:
Huh? I don't hear anyone say anything bad about ubuntu's schedule. Then why about Fedora. Both follow 6 month release cycle.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
mehulved said:
Huh? I don't hear anyone say anything bad about ubuntu's schedule. Then why about Fedora. Both follow 6 month release cycle.

Ho is it!!! Thanks for correcting me .. I feel Ubuntu's 6 month cycle ok cause they have a CD release.. where as Fedora is a DVD release.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
That's not a valid point to argue upon, Ubuntu is more desktop-oriented than Fedora which is more workstation-oriented (than Ubuntu is). Fedora releases CDs to I guess.

praka123

left this forum longback
Fedora is controlled by redhat and its RHEL improves day-by-day using fedora users feedback(hence it is NOT desktop oriented for arguement sake!). :rolleyes: yeah,RH provides src.rpms hence centos and whel etc.then also..Debian or Ubuntu dont have such enterprise release esp Debian stable distro is famous for its stability.

mediator

Technomancer
praka123 said:
I want to try pulse audio on my sid(debian).pulseaudio-esound-compat package will replace esound(esd) and clients i suppose.what is the glitch u find with pulsecore audio?infact there is jackaudio etc too :?

yeah,although rpm mess is there,Fedora got X Font Server by default,now pulsecore audio :) lasttime i tried fedora with internet connected,its pirut manager is hanging and struggling to download and install dependencies.FC5 i think(or FC4?)
Yea, I think that is one of the biggest issues being discussed there. Neways one can use yum to install softwares like apt-get. But personally I find rpms install much faster than debs.

praka123

left this forum longback
^^hehe!that's bcoz of rpms showing that "##########" while installing thats why u feel it is fast :D

mediator

Technomancer
praka123 said:
^^hehe!that's bcoz of rpms showing that "##########" while installing thats why u feel it is fast :D
Nope, the depackaging,configuring thing in debs takes too much time and when u have to install even 10 little apps totalling to 10MB total download, even that takes much more time than the total dld of mysql,apache. Neways thats what I found personally. U may try observing both. :D

praka123

left this forum longback
^yes.it can be true.as debian(.deb dpkg) includes not just install or uninstall rather basic options count nearly 10 operations!.read "man dpkg" for more details :)

mediator

Technomancer
Yea, the only thing that I find in yum making it inferior to apt-get is the repo synch which is very slow. n thats y I think pirut hangs too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom