Fedora: DVD to CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
klinux said:
@grudge : these might help .regarding dual boot , which OS do u have Xp / 98 or both ??
xp pro as present.

@pradeep_chauhan,how can send u the cd's?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
@grudge : oops i think i forgot the links for alternative linux s/w in prev post

*www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php
*www.kevinboone.com/howto_linux.html
*www.wlug.org.nz/LinuxEquivalentsForWindowsSoftware

site below was a gr8 site with HUGE list but now it seems dead , if anyone knew abt the site and has another link to it , would be gr8
*linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml

and regarding booting linux from ntldr

*www.linuxgazette.com/issue36/larriera.html

havent tried this one , but so many sites say it will work

curvenger

Broken In
which issue of LFY contain FC 3?? Dec or Nov? I should grab that,!! hehe , I use redhat 9 but, tryin to install mpalayer is killin me, maybe FC3 might be helpful!! Is it GNUraag?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
@curvenger, i would rather suggest you to get a copy of this month's PCQuest. It has Debian 'Sarge'. and if you can believe me.... Debian is way much better than FC

tuxfan

Technomancer
@GNUrag, since you are saying, Debian must be better. But from what I read in PCQ articles, installation seems a little complicated than Fedora Core. But I really want to try it. I will try and install it in my home PC. If something goes wrong, I want you standing right behind me with the words "MAIN HOON NA" ;) :D

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tuxfan said:
If something goes wrong, I want you standing right behind me with the words "MAIN HOON NA" ;) :D
Dont worry.... Main Hoon Na ... just keep my lunch ready and i'll be at your place sometime soon... :)

tuxfan

Technomancer
Thank you for being there :)

Sure your lunch is ready. But I was wondering. Can we not this time even plan out breakfast and dinner? ;)

BTW, I just booted from the DVD yesterday and went a few steps ahead. But then felt was not too confident of messing around with the existing installation. Shall once again have a look at the data in the PCQ Linux and then decide on what to do. I think I will first take a backup on a Windows partition. But if it creates problems with Windows partition, I will be doomed. I have my Tally data of last 3-4 years. :shock: I don't have any back-up of current year data. :(

curvenger

Broken In
Hi GNUrag, as you suggest i got the PCQuest Debian and but I have some problem, first I run it from the DVD and it was ok until the package selection screen appears, when I try to choose the package i cannot choose anything, the keyboard wont work, I mean the arrow is working fine but which key shoud i use to check the package, i tried every key but nothing can check the check box, and then when i press enter, the backbone of debian get installed without any other application ( no x windows, no gnome, no kde desktop). And then I have to run aptite manually, and i installed KDE and X11 manually and I after that the GUI login screen appears, and then I login and try to install the other package, it asked for root pasword and when I enter, nothing comes, what should I do now???

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys check out the fedora core 3 in the DVD of LFY is a test release not the final thing. Please check it out (Do tell me if i got this wrong...). And on the topic of flavors the priority should be as under (For the ease of use it is the inverse of the list Fedora is any day easier to setup and does packup a lot of packages.)

1. Gentoo (Also called a debian killer by some.)
2. Debian (Slow and Steady ... Tortoise Hard Secure But slow on update of packages ... Sarge still has 2.6.8.... )
3. Fedora Core 3 (Easy and a no nonsense distro good for ex windows guys)

BONZI

Journeyman
Which one is better ??

Debian
Gentoo
Fedora core 3?

I havent tried Debian and gentoo. I think debian cannot be bad as they are in this business for about 11 years. Whats your opinion?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
BONZI answer this Which is a better car maker Merc BMW Porsh ? Difficult is it? All are German precision .... good to drive and long lasting .... So similarly all the three distro are good in their own way depend on your application .... merc for the night party .... BMW for the meeting .......Porch for the girlfriend so its a difficult choice dont you agree?

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
@Bonz : go for a test drive in merc/bmw/porshe see which one u like .
if all three
were given to u for free
u would take all 3 ?????
use all three
debian,gentoo & fc3
and see .

BONZI

Journeyman
That could have been a good idea if I had a 400 GB hard disk. I had installed a version of debian 4 years ago. But then I found redhat 6(or something) to be better. After that I never went back to debian. All I want know is that is there any change now. I think availability of .deb will not be a big problem but still many developers make their softwares with redhat on their mind.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
400GB , well for one thing u dont have to install all the apps in it . even if it were true , debian by pcq is on dvd , so max u need 8-10 gb for that and 5-8 gb each for remaining . how much hdd u got anyways ? most installers come with option to have min installation . anyways , if u comfy go for it else no prob . u always have CHOICE with linux , beauty of it :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
curvenger said:
but I have some problem, first I run it from the DVD and it was ok until the package selection screen appears, when I try to choose the package i cannot choose anything, the keyboard wont work,
I did not lay my hands on PCQ's Debian DVD as yet.... but i think you did not select your keyboard properly from the setup screen...

curvenger said:
I mean the arrow is working fine but which key shoud i use to check the package, i tried every key but nothing can check the check box,
Spacebar is used to select or deselect a check box.... pressing enter means that you clicked on OK....

curvenger said:
And then I have to run aptite manually, and i installed KDE and X11 manually
Use aptitude only if your X server is not installed yet... as it is based on ncurses.... If your GUI is working then you can try # synaptic .....

curvenger said:
and I after that the GUI login screen appears, and then I login and try to install the other package, it asked for root pasword and when I enter, nothing comes, what should I do now???
Probably GDM is configured to disallow root from logging in to system in a GUI mode.... To fix this, login as a normal user... give su to become root.... and run # gdmsetup .... this configures your login manager.... in there uncheck the option that disables root user's gui login....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Hello Bonzi,

Different people have different choices.... My reason for using debian is that its a no-fuss distribution.... If you download all the packages from debian's mirrors then you'll find a perfect unison between all the packages....

Debian recompiles and repackages all the software including but not limited to GNOME, KDE, and every other tools into its .deb format.... If you get everything from a single vendour then there are very little chances of broken packages and dependencies...

Other than technical issues, there are social issues also... Using Debian means that you are using a completely Free GNU System.... which has no Proprietary software included.... RedHat and others for example bundle Adobe's Proprietary Acrobat Reader software.....

Debian is very alllowing and supportive about its copyright and its Trademark licencing issues.... that's the reason why you can see so many Live-CDs based on Debian .... and not on other distributions.... RedHat for example is very strict about its usage of RedHat logo and trademark.... And no one can use its Trademark RedHat name to create another distributions....

note: Trademark is diffrent from License

BONZI said:
All I want know is that is there any change now. I think availability of .deb will not be a big problem but still many developers make their softwares with redhat on their mind.
Since then we have a strong and mature APT .... APT's mirror fingerprint has spread to all the continents ..... India too has an official Debian mirror....

However the complain that Debian is very slow in advancing its package's version number can be explained due to its insistance to include stable relaeases in its distributions....

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
By the way the official indian mirror at IIT Madras is slower than the mirrors in North america. We at IISc too have a local mirror for the similar reason. And ....er ......one parting thought ....er.....GENTOO RULES....

BONZI

Journeyman
Code:
Different people have different choices.... My reason for using debian is that its a no-fuss distribution.... If you download all the packages from debian's mirrors then you'll find a perfect unison between all the packages....

Code:
Since then we have a strong and mature APT .... APT's mirror fingerprint has spread to all the continents ..... India too has an official Debian mirror....

@GNU fantastic infos thx. Another reason to think about switching to debian.

BUT

Debian recompiles and repackages all the software including but not limited to GNOME, KDE, and every other tools into its .deb format.... If you get everything from a single vendour then there are very little chances of broken packages and dependencies...

Will there be any problems when I update packages from other sites?? I always like to keep the packages updated (as far as possible). Also can I use redhat packages in debian?? I mean rpm. tarballs will not be a problem (i think).I already have a lot of packages d/l from various sites. I dont want to d/l them again.

And also is there any big differences in the file structure and other configuration files(in RH and deb). as get used to RH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom