Fedora: DVD to CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
Well i have a fedora core 3 DVD (distributed by LFY)..the DVD is bootable..
I want to know if it is possible that i can copy the contents of DVD to cds and the cds works like regular 4 fedora core 3 cds..

i mean can i distribute the packages, make first cd bootable...etc etc..

Thanks
Hitesh Gupta

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
I dont subscribe to LFY... could you tell us in what format is FC 3 distributed ? Is it a DVD with ISO inside or a single monolithic DVD containing all the RPMs

OP
H

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
well i actually dont have the DVD right now but what i was told is that it is a bootable dvd so all the files should be one place..

Hitesh

OP
H

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
if somehow i can get the original rpmlist per cd...copy the boot sector to the first cd and manage the files i believe it should be possible..

tried to google but found nothing....will look for it in coming days...

Hitesh

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
hitesh_hg said:
if somehow i can get the original rpmlist per cd...copy the boot sector to the first cd and manage the files i believe it should be possible..

Well, actually if you have the original RPM list of the CDs then remastering the DVD to make your own CD-set is quite possible.... read the documemtation

warning: creating your own CDs with anaconda installer installed on the first CD is not a child's play !!!

tip: search for isolinux documentation.... this is the thing you'd need for creating a bootable ISO of your RPM files... you might also want to read this documentation that some of my students wrote while remastering the knoppix CD....
*db.ilug-bom.org.in/lug-authors/anurag/

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
hitesh_hg said:
december...they posted this info to my LUG
Do you live in delhi ???

Also, December issue of PCQuest carries a Debian DVD !!!!
enjoy guyz....its DVDs raining these days...

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
while we enjoy :) , gnu u and ur gnu/lin team here will have a hard time answering all our queries and troubleshooting our problems , which will be PLENTY lol . hope u got lots of free time dec and jan ;) . @gnu did dig accept ur offer for the cd complete with documentation for linux u spoke abt long back ??

i will be getting the pcq (sub) and planning to go for the LYU one , though pcqlinux based on fed 3 core is also coming up in march . having second thoughts abt dig though .

someone should write a guide on how to switch between linuxes and not break their head . feels like wearing all the clothes u bought for diwali at the same time .

tuxfan

Technomancer
Wow!! PCQ is giving Debian DVD in December!!

GNUrag, when are you coming to update my systems? I would like to install Debian in place of PCQ Linux. :) A heavy lunch/snacks/dinner (or all) awaits you ;) :D :lol:

BTW, if it is ISO images in DVD and someone wants it to have transferred on CDs, I can do it as long as my costs are reimbursed. I have a DVD-ROM and CD-Writer attached to the same machine. Additionally, I subscribe to LFY and PCQ. So the DVDs will surely come to me sooner or later.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
this is getting CRAZY . now ICC is out with a dvd too . something called gentoo . next time mags should offer free or discounted Hard Disks to install all the linux flavours they giving out ;)

@tux : the debian sarge by pcq is on a bootable dvd . so u wont have trouble installing it

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
hitesh_hg said:
@GNUrag i live in panchkula (near chandigarh) and i study in patiala..
I was just guessing :) :) .... details abt LFY PCQ's DVD issue was posted on delhi's LUG just a day before your posting....

tuxfan

Technomancer
Now I have already recveived the Debian DVD with the PCQ December issue. GNUrag, I can't see you yet! :evil: :evil: :D :D

BTW, one of my hard disks has 15GB space. Debian can be installed there (may be in place of Knoppix) without disturbing the existing PCQ Linux installation. On the other machine, I don't mind PCQ Linux being replaced :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
sorry, if i am off the topic...

where can i get fedora core 3 and debian cd, for free ( not for some nominal amount) .
i saw a website, which gives unbutu ( hope i get the spelling rite), for free , home delivered. (any amount of quantity can be ordered).

-----------------------
and wht if i want to install both windows and linux, wht will i have to do.

would u guys tell me some programs which can be under this. (like for internet wht programs , and for multimedia and for word processing SF).

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I have both the distro downloaded. Infact we have a debian mirror in our lab so its no problem The only thing is send someone with the blank cd (7 for debian and 4 for core 3) and i will do the needful and obviously no charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom