Fedora Core 5 CD mounting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

In the zone
I am using FC5. I have problems mounting CDs. VCDs don't mount at all. Other data CDs automount, but when i double click the Cd icon, I get a 'permission denied' error. Whats going on here?. Help needed.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
The following are the contents of my fstab

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc7 /mnt/fdrive vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hda /media/dvdrom auto defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb /media/cdrw auto defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

I don't know why cds don't open even though they are detected. Linux installation disks mount normaly though.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Are you trying to mount the cd/dvd after its automounted ? Then that error is possible... Or remove the auto in fstab and trying mounting them from the terminal and see it this works ?

OP
B

borg

In the zone
There is no need to manually mount in FC5. Disks mount automatically as you insert them. The problem here is whenever I insert a disk, say a VCD, nothing happens. It isn't even detected. But other disks get detected & the menu asking me what to do appears. When I tell it to open it in new window, a new window appears & I get an error 'permission denied'. The same in the user as well as the root account.

probably vedio format is not supported by the default player,download the one supporting the format,its not hte new problem in fc, I have seen it in all previous version,please let ne know whether fc 5 is supporting mp3(I suppose not).

OP
B

borg

In the zone
hmmm... I don't think that is the problem. I have xine with all the codecs installed. Even without the codecs, the Cd should atleast open & show me the files, right?.

And no FC5 doesn't includd MP3 codecs.

ujjwal

Padawan
VCD's cannot be mounted and viewed as a directory, like data CD's. They have a different file format, and the correct way to access them is to open your media player, and ask it to play the cd. Windows does try to access a VCD like a normal data cd, but if you want such behaviour under linux, you need to set up cdfs and mount the disc using the "-t cdfs" option.

The permission denied error is strange, could you post the output of "ls -l /media" when you insert a cd?

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Man I don't get anything when I cd into the CD directory -/media/hda . Its as if the CD isn't there. This is a really a wierd problem.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Can anyone help with this problem?. I have still not been able to solve it. I have googled enough. Any clues, ideas, anything at all will help.

I will recap evrything once more-

1. I insert CD (any CD)
2. CD gets detected & I get the prompt asking me what to do
3. I click on 'open in new window'
4. A new window opens & I get a 'permission denied' error

The same thing whether I am logged in as root or as normal user.
When I use terminal & CD into /media/cdrw (my drive) & ls, I get nothing. Its as if the CD isn't there.

The o/p of ls -l /media is
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 4 19:33 cdrw
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 4 19:33 dvdrom

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Try typing this command after you insert the video cd.
Code:
 su
mount -t cdfs /dev/hda /media/dvdrom
See if it helps.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
I happenned to try exactly that & it seems to be working. The CD mounted & I was able to access the files!. I tried it with a data CD though. ANyways, now its clear that the problem is with the automounting mechanism. How do I proceed to set it right?.

mehulved

Edit the line in ur fstab as follows
Code:
/dev/hda /media/dvdrom iso9660,udf,cdfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb /media/cdrw iso9660,cdfs defaults 0 0
Now try to mount with following command
Code:
su
mount /media/dvdrom

OP
B

borg

In the zone
hmmm... the above command simply specifies each possible filesystem, instead of using 'auto' , am I right?. What good will that do?. I mean, the problem seems to be with the KDE automounting system.

I tried what have mentioned. It doesn't make any difference. Automounting still doesn't work.

Last edited:

mehulved

If you haven't changed the fstab entries yet, do this.
Give command
Code:
su
mount /media/dvdrom
If you get error then type
Code:
dmesg | tail
It will give a clue on the error. I don't know why but specifying the filesystem explicitly works rather than giving auto.
I don't think it is a problem with KDE automounter. Make a change in fstab and then see what happens.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
I made the necessary changes in the fstab, but it makes no difference. Its the same. I still have to maually mount CDs

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Whichever VCD/DVD playing software you are using say VLC Media Player, give the
path to your DVD drive (in expert mode options). And make it the default player for
playing VCD & DVD. I did this in Ubuntu & it mounts VCD/DVD automatically!!
The default action is that it doesn't know what to do with the media loaded.

mehulved

borg said:
I made the necessary changes in the fstab, but it makes no difference. Its the same. I still have to maually mount CDs
And have you restarted your computer after that? I don't know the reason why but in my case it happened. I was struggling with the automounting problem even after changing the entries in fstab. But, after a reboot everything was mounting properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom