fedora core 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunks

Hey here is the aks
My friend was having winxp on his system and then he installed fedora core 4 on his system..everything worked correctly

but then he installed windows xp again..
so now he has a problem that grub boot loader screen does'nt come...

directly winxp runs..

so what shuld he do now to recover boot loader again without installing linux again....

so tell me solutions

and one more thing he said he installed bootloader on mbr.
that may help to figure out something

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Please search for 'recover grub' or 'reinstall grub' in this section. Or atleast read up the sticky on 'frequently covered topics'. If no one is reading all that then what's the use of putting up all that?

47shailesh

Security Exp
With Fedora CD
Boot your computer with the first CD of Fedora in your CD drive (You have to enable your PC to boot from the cdrom, which you can set in the BIOS settings). At the installation boot prompt that you get, enter the following command:
boot: linux rescue
... and press Enter. The installer will ask you a few questions like the language you would like to use, the type of keyboard etc. Then, if you have linux previously installed on your machine, the Fedora installer will automatically detect it and mount it in the /mnt/sysimage directory. Once the linux partition is mounted, you are dropped into the command shell prompt. The next step is to make your newly mounted directory the root (or parent) directory. This you do by running the chroot command as follows:
# chroot /mnt/sysimage# _
Now you are in the shell with respect to the parent directory which is the linux partition on your harddisk.

From here, the steps needed depends on which bootloader you are using. You have to have a fair idea what is the device node of your harddisk partition housing your MBR. In most cases, it is /dev/hda if you have an IDE harddisk. But if you have a SCSI harddisk, it will be /dev/sda.

Restoring GRUB
Execute the following command :
# grub-install /dev/hda
... to install GRUB boot loader on to your MBR. And then type exit to reboot the machine. Now your GRUB boot loader is fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom