Fedora 7 + windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokhendro

upcoming
Is there any digitian u really know how to dual boot Fedora 7 and windows vista ..... i have got one sata hd with 80gb.... now m having both fedora 7 and windows Xp dual boot.
but i want to dual boot with vista.....
please repy only to boot with fedora not ubento or others.....
(only who have successful may reply not to expriment on me):mrgreen:

praka123

left this forum longback
Vista reportedly to have problem with GRUB-the boot menu.there are sure,ppl who runs vista and any linux or for that matter fedora 7 also.but what i heard is sometimes you need to edit vista's bootloader accordingly.i think the app is bcdedit.
if u have installed fedora and vista,xp etc then try booting vista from menu and it mostly works.else there needs to edit something via bcdedit?.go,try dude :))

OP
L

lokhendro

upcoming
have tried with bcdedit from vista itself..... not working... there are tips and tricks givn in kenznews too but same thing...

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
This should help...

The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step

How to dual boot with windows vista?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I've successfully dual booted Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu together. With Vista being installed first and then Ubuntu (What I mean to say is, no grub-reinstalling stuff, editing Vista boot options, etc). The GRUB and the Vista boot-loaders both functioned perfectly for as long as I had Vista. So there shouldn't be any problems. I also use a SATA I HDD weighing 80 GB, to add as an assurance perhaps.

Sykora

I see right through you.
Yeah, as a rule of thumb, if you don't want to screw around with GRUB, install it last, after all the windows. It helps _enormously_ if you have multiple hard drives.

first install Vista on a partition.
then use WUBI to install ubuntu.
if u already have ubuntu image downloaded then just place both the image and the wubi in the same folder and then start wubi.
then folow the instructions on the scrren.
install ubuntu on a different partition.
here u can DL WUBI- wubi-installer.org
hope it works for u ,it worked jhakaas for me.
i suggest u to use ubuntu.
it is far better than fedora.
DL the ubuntu 7.10 -the latest one and use it.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
lokhendro said:
anyone wit FEdora 7 and Vista!!!! not ubento
What's the big deal anyway? Both use GRUB and that's what matters, not the distro! Is it not working out for you? Some error code? What is it? :)

OP
L

lokhendro

upcoming
i have tried all the tips and tricks but in vain.... i do have most of the latest distros but find dificulties in doing my lab prog on LAMP and so on... Fedora i found it very comfortable....even the text are written accordingt to it by vtu

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
lokhendro said:
i have tried all the tips and tricks but in vain.... i do have most of the latest distros but find dificulties in doing my lab prog on LAMP and so on... Fedora i found it very comfortable....even the text are written accordingt to it by vtu
Look, are we forcing you to use Ubuntu? We're just saying dual booting is common to all LINUX and not distro specific.

Never did anyone ask you to use Ubuntu here. All they are saying is GRUB is common to all distros and that you will NOT face any problems installing Windows Vista and then restoring your GRUB or reinstalling Fedora 7.

Hope you understand.

And if you have an error, then tell us more about that than going on and on about Fedora 7. Afterall, its just a distribution built on the SAME kernel as all other! :|

PirateAccess

Broken In
don't worry here the solution.....i have gone to many site to know how to install fedora 7 with vista (Ultimate).....but i didn't get proper answer but at last i have found it myself... what i did is ( i dunno is this the procedure or not)

I Installed Vista fresh in my hard disk.....after booting in it...when to disk management and made 40GB Free (i.e deleted the partition) after that installed Fedora 7.....

while you are in choosing the partition where to install Fedora you have to choose "Use free space on the selected drive and create custom layout" thats it.....

(Before i made mistake here only.....i just left 10 GB free because in many site many said only 10 GB is enough)

now when Fedora completed...you just log in to it......

Now restart the machine....you will b give 10 seconds to choose the boot option thats is windows r fedora....if you click enter within 10 seconds you have option.. to boot in vista...

if you don't want to do this and you want vista to be automatically booted n in option fedora...than you have install EasyBCD by Neosmart Technologies and configure it. thats it

It worked for me.....sorry working for me....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom