Fedora 7/8 Session Crashes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukeNukem

Come get Some
Hi To all u out there (lol)

Iam havin this strange Prob.

Ive updated my Fedora 7 and Fedora 8 for XFCE Session, Every thin went smooth

But whenever i tries to run terminal inside it XFCE session restarts to the login window.

Any Specific reason behind this ??????
SOS

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
This is a bug for old graphic card users. Its not yet fixed I guess.

Use 16-bit graphics (Change xorg.conf to reflect that) and see if it gets fixed?

LP #91849 Bug report.

Fix at LP Ans #7143 (Last but 2nd reply by Jim)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I installed Fedora 7 yesterday. Its really good. But while i was changing the desktop background, while choosing the image the app stopped responding and then i had to force quit. This happens nearly every time. Whats wrong?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Gnome. Anyway the problem has disappeared. Now everything is running fine. Except i can't find files that i had in windows. My D: had all my files but i can't find them in fedora. How to access them?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The partitions are usually automounted. If not then you can manually mount them.

Post the size of your "D:" partition also the output of "fdisk -l" in a terminal (in Fedora)

praka123

left this forum longback
fdisk will not work for normal user,u need to be login terminal as su or in ubuntu sudo fdisk <space> -l will yield the o/p.
as ur in fedora,open a terminal and run "su" give root passwd and then run fdisk -l.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Just mount sda1 and sda5 (For C: and D: mostly)

Fdisk will work only if you call it as root, so do:
Code:
su -
fdisk -l

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I ran su and then gave the password and then ran fdisk -l again. Again it tells me command not found.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Try this:
Code:
/sbin/fdisk -l

And btw, do follow Miranda's personal Fedora 7 install notes, they are very useful and have a lot of hacks added to it to ease your troubles post-install:
*www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f7.html

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The "linux" way:
If it still gives error then Open a terminal and type: "whereis fdisk"

The easy way:
Goto System menu > Preferences > Hardware info (this is just like device manager)
Now find the IDE/SATA controller and browse through the partitions on the hard disk. Find your "D:" drive. Identify the device in the Advanced tab. Look for entries like /dev/hda5 or /dev/sda5 etc. and report back.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I was able to mount D drive, but not the C drive. Also the D drive that i mounted disappeared after i shut down and restarted the pc. I guess i did something wrong.

Btw i'm not able to play any media file. The built-in players keep on asking for codecs. I have VLC player on a Digit cd for Linux, but i've no idea how to install it.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
You will need to add the mount command in /etc/fstab file to make it a permanent entry. Determine what file system the partition uses (ntfs or fat32) then add the entry in fstab (as root user, su command).

OP
DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Come get Some
QwertyManiac said:
This is a bug for old graphic card users. Its not yet fixed I guess.

Use 16-bit graphics (Change xorg.conf to reflect that) and see if it gets fixed?

LP #91849 Bug report.

Fix at LP Ans #7143 (Last but 2nd reply by Jim)

Thanks

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Managed to mount D: and also made it so that it mounts every time during boot up. But couldn't mount C:. Anyway it wasn't very important.
@pathik. The digit cd had a folder of vlc which had lots of files in it. So instead i went to videolan.org and downloaded a rpm file for fedora 7. Then i double clicked and installed it. But i've no idea where it got installed and i can't find the app. Also the file was only 9kb. How can the app be so small?

Is there any codec pack for fedora 7 like k-lite mega codec pack for windows which will install all codecs at once?

I also need help to access net over nop via bluetooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom