Faster torrent speeds(Router-Client Config.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
I dont know about other BT applications, but since i've been using bitcomet only, here's my guide:
IF you do the following you should end up with around the best possible speeds:
1) Configure Port Forwarding

BitComet requires you to be able to receive incoming connections. If you're behind a NAT router (this does not apply to modems) but don't have port forwarding configured properly, incoming connections will be stopped by your router (won't reach your computer) and you'll end up with speeds of only a small percentage of what you're capable of getting. You need to configure port forwarding so your router knows that the incoming connections are for BitComet and will be allowed through (forwarded) to your computer.

An easy way to see if your port forwarding is configured properly or not is to see if you're receiving incoming connections to BitComet by doing the following test...

Start downloading a torrent that has lots of seeds/peers (like 100+), wait 5 minutes then look in the Peers section (bottom left of BitComet). Under the 'Initiation' column on the bottom pane, look to see if some peers are listed as Remote or if they're all Local. Make sure you scroll all the way down the list and look at all of them.

If you have a mix of Remote and Local, it's a sign that your port forwarding is configured properly already (probably done automatically via UPnP) -- so skip to the next section.

Note: It doesn't matter how many Remote/Local connections you have, all that matters is you have both.

If you only have Local initiated connections (and possibly also NAT Traversal connections) it means incoming connections are most probably being stopped by your router or firewall, so you need to configure port forwarding.

To configure port forwarding, open up BitComet and go to Options > Preferences.
Here you need to enter a single "Listen Port" to be used for BitComet. It's best to use a listen port between 49152 and 65534 because they're classed as "Dynamic and/or Private Ports" by IANA, so nothing else should be using them by default and they're not the standard ones blocked by ISPs or trackers, but you can enter any other port you wish. It's strongly recommended that you don't use any between 1-5000, 6881-6999 or any listed on this page to avoid compatability problems. Again, it's best to choose a number between 49152 and 65534.
Write down your Listen Port number before clicking OK to exit out of BitComet's preferences.

Next, in windows, click 'Start' then 'Run...'
Type 'cmd' and press enter.

You should now be at a command prompt, so type 'ipconfig' and press enter. It should show you something similar to this:

"IP Address" is your computers IP address that you need to forward the port to.

"Default Gateway" should be your routers internal IP address.

Write down both of these numbers and then you can close the command prompt window.

Now you have all the information required to configure port forwarding in your router. Hopefully you can find your router on this list and view step-by-step port forwarding instructions. For BSNL broadband users, the router will most likely be SMARTAX MT882. If you don't know the username and password for your router, check your user guide or see the default password list.

When configuring port forwarding in your router, you need to do the following...
Log in to your router by entering the "Default Gateway" (the number you wrote down earlier from the ipconfig) into your web browser.( 198.168.1.1)
Enter username & password as admin(default)
Go to NAT & enable NAT.

Then navigate to the section for Virtual Server and forward the "Listen Port" that you entered in BitComet's preferences to your computers "IP Address" for TCP & UDP. If it asks for a 'start port' and 'end port', enter your Listen Port in both. If it doesnt have an option for "TCP & UDP" together, first do port forwarding for TCP then repeat the process and choose UDP the second time.

After you've done that, restart BitComet and try the test for Remote connections again. If you set up port forwarding correctly you should now be getting some Remote connections -- along with greatly increased speeds.

2) Allow BitComet access through any firewalls

Windows XP SP2 Firewall

Whenever 'Listen Port' is mentioned, it refers to the Listen Port you have chosen here in BitComet:
Options > Preferences > "Listen Port"

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections.

Right click the Local Area Connection and choose Properties (if there is more than one use the one that says Connected underneath). Then click the Advanced tab.

Click the Settings button and go to the "Exceptions" tab. Click the Add Program button. Select BitComet then click OK.
A Simiar process can be adopted for various other firewalls.

3) Increase the number of connections BitComet can use

By default, BitComet allows very few peer connections per task. Although this may give slower speeds when you first install BitComet, the stability is increased, which is probably the best way to release a software like this. After people have it installed an running stable, they can start to tinker.

A good deal of extra speed can usually be gained by simply increasing the following:

Options > Preferences > Advanced > Connection > "Maximum Connections per task"
Options > Preferences > Advanced > Connection > "Connections to keep per task"

Please note that more isn't always better and setting these values too high could give you slower speeds and/or make your modem/router disconnect. For example, some people will tell you to set the "Maximum Connections per task" to 1000... while it might work great for them, it could have a negative effect on your setup.

5) Select a Fast Tracker

Public trackers usually give poor speeds compared to Private trackers, but they have more content. Public trackers can be used by anyone and there are rarely any penalties towards those who choose not to upload, so they generally give slower speeds. Private trackers require (free) membership and members must maintain a certain download:upload ratio, so there are a lot more people uploading ('seeding') and downloads are much faster.

If you want faster download speeds, try using a private tracker that has a better seed to peer ratio (more people uploading).
Did i mention that you have to maintain a good upload ratio & even seed dead torrents to keep connection with the tracker. Or else, you're likely to be kicked outta there.
A list to best private trackers

Courtesy----
Dragosani.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Ok now for MTNL users using D-LINK 502T ROUTERS, login to ur *192.168.1.1 and then go to Advanced --> Virtual Servers, make sure PVC0 is selected, then in the box below, click on USER radio button, then click ADD, Enter any name, then select TCP, UDP and then enter any port mentioned above, i used 65533. Enter the same port in both End and Start ports. Enter the same port in Port Map. Click AApply and then, ADD this rule to APPLIED RULES. Click apply and then Save and Reboot. Save and Reboot is located Tools --> System.

Make sure u enter the same port as mentioned in ur Bit-Torrent Client. Preferably use between 49152 and 65534. I m using Azureus, then Run a test in Azureus, using Tools --> NAT/FIREWALL TEST with the port u selected. Also provide full privelages to ur client.

Well this did work for me, and after using azureus for nearly 3-4 months, i got to see green face for the first time. :p :p

@yrana if u cud change the title of the thread as this for MTNL also now

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
navjotjsingh said:
Does the first point apply to Sify BB Users also?
Absolutely, Just search through the link provided for ur network router and follow the other steps promptly.
8)

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Open command prompt and type:
ipconfig
Note down the default gateway value(192.16..) for eg,
Type the value in addressbar your browser.
If asked for a password, check your manual or see the default password list
here
Type the password and follow the above mentioned steps.
Savvy!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I wrote a guide (sort of :p) abt TCP connections.
Check it if you are interested.
Of TCP connections, SP2 and Faster Torrents Download Speeds

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
shwetanshu said:
Ok now for MTNL users using D-LINK 502T ROUTERS, login to ur *192.168.1.1 and then go to Advanced --> Virtual Servers, make sure PVC0 is selected, then in the box below, click on USER radio button, then click ADD, Enter any name, then select TCP, UDP and then enter any port mentioned above, i used 65533. Enter the same port in both End and Start ports. Enter the same port in Port Map. Click AApply and then, ADD this rule to APPLIED RULES. Click apply and then Save and Reboot. Save and Reboot is located Tools --> System.

Make sure u enter the same port as mentioned in ur Bit-Torrent Client. Preferably use between 49152 and 65534. I m using Azureus, then Run a test in Azureus, using Tools --> NAT/FIREWALL TEST with the port u selected. Also provide full privelages to ur client.

Well this did work for me, and after using azureus for nearly 3-4 months, i got to see green face for the first time. :p :p
Thanx man it worked :lol:

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
This works if you have a router ..
and shwetanshu has posted for MTNL Triband on Dlink-502T
yrana2002 For BSNL broadband users

avdhut_s

Broken In
:arrow: didnt work for my TATA Indicomm Broadband

is it becase i hv dynamic ip?

whnever i tried config router by using default gateway(10.45.98.1) no page opens...

Any ideas how to make it work?

Dipen01

Youngling
Well i am on Hathway Cable Net..Connection... same prob as above..No page opens when Default Gateway is typed in address bar..

OP
yrana2002

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
avdhut_s said:
:arrow: didnt work for my TATA Indicomm Broadband

is it becase i hv dynamic ip?

whnever i tried config router by using default gateway(10.45.98.1) no page opens...

Any ideas how to make it work?

Which router do u or ISP use? Indicomm users mostly have SMC routers.
Check with any documentation provided and see how to configure it from the link given:
Tutorial

Otherwise, if u have Upnp enabled, you can check it from Network Connections->My Network Places.
There would be a device there(hopefully) with model no. and then check it from the link.

bholu

Broken In
hey guys i'm using bitcomet, my first download was at the speed of 100kbps but afterword now i'm getting only 5-9 kbps. i'm using hathway connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom