[FAQ] Android Customization: Tips and Tricks

mkumar

Broken In
HI

I am having Android v4.2 Jelly Bean OS on my phone n i dont see any option there to add it

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Have you tried to edit an existing contact and adding a new field?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i have Micromax A63 with 800x480 res display. can anyone give me the exact res for a wide wallpaper? i plan to make wallpaper from the photos i have taken.

the wallpaper should should be wide, meaning it should move if i swipe the home screen left/right. hope i am able to make you understand...

aftablonely786

Broken In
i have Micromax A63 with 800x480 res display. can anyone give me the exact res for a wide wallpaper? i plan to make wallpaper from the photos i have taken.

the wallpaper should should be wide, meaning it should move if i swipe the home screen left/right. hope i am able to make you understand...

Stock wallpapers have 853X480 if thats what u r asking..:cool:

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Yes... But when i want to make a new wallpaper, it shows a crop tool,.... Anyway to make that whole pic as wallpaper??

hansraj

In the zone
Hello friends,
Need some guidance and help. I flashed my Lenovo P780(Android 4.2.1) using the P780_S119_130929_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z. This is a custom rom & rooted version of "P780_S119_130929" version with additional feature of TWRP recovery with it. Everything has been working fine however lately I have come across few questions on my own and tried to Google but couldn't get a satisfying answers. May I request fellow members to help me solve my queries and doubts.
My queries are:

(a) When I checked the "update" through Settings>About Phone>System Update, I found a new released version "P780_ROW_S123_131231". This got downloaded and it gave me multiple options namely update now/update in 30 mins/update in 6 hrs/update in 3 days/never ask. I selected the update now option and the phone rebooted into TWRP recovery. Thats it. I rebooted it once again and when I checked the firmware version, it was still the old version and the "system upgrade" showed me again those multiple options of now/...30mins/... never ask. Basically my firmware is not getting updated. How can I get my firmware updated?

(b) The TWRP recovery which I have is 2.5.0.0. I have seen some latest versions of TWRP recovery on google play, but they are for android when its running. Can I flash the newer version of TWRP recovery for my model of phone. If yes how and from where do I get the image file for that?

(c) If I install any other custom rom, will it result in loosing the TWRP recovery which got installed while I flashed the Custom rom?

(d) Can I do something to keep a backup of this TWRP recovery? If yes how?

I am sure this is just the beginning of my doubts and as I understand more and more I shall need more help from the experienced members here to guide me and explain me a bit of things. Thanks in advance :) Looking forward to some encouraging discussion here.

aftablonely786

Broken In
Hello friends,
Need some guidance and help. I flashed my Lenovo P780(Android 4.2.1) using the P780_S119_130929_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z. This is a custom rom & rooted version of "P780_S119_130929" version with additional feature of TWRP recovery with it. Everything has been working fine however lately I have come across few questions on my own and tried to Google but couldn't get a satisfying answers. May I request fellow members to help me solve my queries and doubts.
My queries are:

(a) When I checked the "update" through Settings>About Phone>System Update, I found a new released version "P780_ROW_S123_131231". This got downloaded and it gave me multiple options namely update now/update in 30 mins/update in 6 hrs/update in 3 days/never ask. I selected the update now option and the phone rebooted into TWRP recovery. Thats it. I rebooted it once again and when I checked the firmware version, it was still the old version and the "system upgrade" showed me again those multiple options of now/...30mins/... never ask. Basically my firmware is not getting updated. How can I get my firmware updated?

(b) The TWRP recovery which I have is 2.5.0.0. I have seen some latest versions of TWRP recovery on google play, but they are for android when its running. Can I flash the newer version of TWRP recovery for my model of phone. If yes how and from where do I get the image file for that?

(c) If I install any other custom rom, will it result in loosing the TWRP recovery which got installed while I flashed the Custom rom?

I am sure this is just the beginning of my doubts and as I understand more and more I shall need more help from the experienced members here to guide me and explain me a bit of things. Thanks in advance :) Looking forward to some encouraging discussion here.

There is only one place that u can find all answers to your qns...
Go to xda-developers.com
Browse to your device, that's it...

sinhead

Broken In
Hi guys,
I'm new to android. Recently bought a HTC Desire 501. The problem is - Whenever I unlock the screen, I get this message - "MMI code cancelled".
Also get this messge when I send a SMS to someone (ie, after the sms has been sent).

Looked around on the net, people are suggesting adding a "," after a code, But I didn't understand how and where to enter the code and the comma after it.

hansraj

In the zone
There is only one place that u can find all answers to your qns...
Go to xda-developers.com
Browse to your device, that's it...

Thanks ... posted the querry there as well. I am still hoping to get some answers here as well.... lets see :)

ankush28

Bazinga

a)I dont think you can use STOCK updates anymore.
b)No need of update if its working properly...Mostly devs will provide latest stable onw with ROM.
c)No
d)save image to PC.

Last edited:

aftablonely786

Broken In
Hello friends,
My queries are:

A) Its not updating cuz every update comes with a signature, so the one u saw in update is a company signed one, so there is a signature mismatch...

B) Yeah as I said search in the forum, if some dev has built it, u can flash it...

C) To flash any custom ROM its mandatory that u have a custom recovery, so there is no way that u will lose twrp

D) If u will be flashing this twrp then u ought to have it in ur sdcard, that's it's backup, u don't need one

Hope it is clear...:cool:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yes but it only ads telephone nos, no B`days

You need to try to "discover" more. :|

*i.minus.com/ibiVKL1CPymGvE.png

MOD EDIT: blackened out email id.

Me: Thanks for whoever blackened out the email ID. I guess I need sleep. :tired:

Last edited:
OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Hello friends,
My queries are:

you are trying OTA update from a custom rom to a official rom. your bootloader is replaced by TWRP. That is the most likely cause for failure. Either restore stock rom backup (if you have) or if there is any Windows based update utility, use that. or wait for custom rom based on new release.

updated custom recovery rarely bring something new. Most likely Android 4.4 support has been added (SELinux support).

no. only official rom will remove the custom recovery.

how did you flash this TWRP version at the first place?

hansraj

In the zone
a)I dont think you can use STOCK updates anymore.
b)No need of update if its working properly...Mostly devs will provide latest stable onw with ROM.
c)No
d)save image to PC.

Thanks @ankush28
Though I have posted a similar querry at xda as well but I knew that I have more chances of getting my doubts resolved here and the members here are indeed great.
Regarding (d) Save image to PC , My question is how do I do(I mean where is this img file in my device?)

A) Its not updating cuz every update comes with a signature, so the one u saw in update is a company signed one, so there is a signature mismatch...

B) Yeah as I said search in the forum, if some dev has built it, u can flash it...

C) To flash any custom ROM its mandatory that u have a custom recovery, so there is no way that u will lose twrp

D) If u will be flashing this twrp then u ought to have it in ur sdcard, that's it's backup, u don't need one

Hope it is clear...:cool:

Thanks @aftablonely786
d) I had the TWRP recovery installed as a part of custom rom.... while I installed the custom rom, this too got installed. If you notice my custom rom file "P780_S119_130929_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z" posted in the OP has twrp within itself.

Thanks @sam for your detailed explanation. You have shared a nice deal of info which I wasnt aware of. Hope you know now how I installed my TWRP recovery.

I do have a PC software with which I had installed this "P780_S119_130929_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z". The link is here .

Now I am facing two challenges
(a) Dont know which *.img file is the TWRP recovery(to keep it as backup).

(b) I have the updated version of custom rom also(S123 is the latest one & I have S119 at present) but if I flash the updated custom rom then my mobile needs to be customised again for my usage (such as phonebook, sms, notes, various other apps intallation, adding of accounts etc etc ) which is a time consuming process. Can I back up my present android with its apps and other settings and restore it with one click after upgrading my custom rom?

(c) I have managed to get the OTA update file downloaded on my PC from the internet, but when I try to flash it with TWRP, it fails with a message "md5 check failed". Can I do something about it or just leave it and move on.

mkumar

Broken In
You need to try to "discover" more. :|

*i.minus.com/ibiVKL1CPymGvE.png

MOD EDIT: blackened out email id.

Me: Thanks for whoever blackened out the email ID. I guess I need sleep. :tired:

Hi,

My Gionnee P2 doesn't have these fields, i do no y these people add a simple B`day option :-x:-x

aftablonely786

Broken In
Thanks @ankush28
Though I have posted a similar querry at xda as well but I knew that I have more chances of getting my doubts resolved here and the members here are indeed great.
Regarding (d) Save image to PC , My question is how do I do(I mean where is this img file in my device?)

Thanks @aftablonely786
d) I had the TWRP recovery installed as a part of custom rom.... while I installed the custom rom, this too got installed. If you notice my custom rom file "P780_S119_130929_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z" posted in the OP has twrp within itself.

Thanks @sam for your detailed explanation. You have shared a nice deal of info which I wasnt aware of. Hope you know now how I installed my TWRP recovery.

I do have a PC software with which I had installed this "P780_S119_130929_rooted_twrp_gapps.7z". The link is here .

Now I am facing two challenges
(a) Dont know which *.img file is the TWRP recovery(to keep it as backup).

(b) I have the updated version of custom rom also(S123 is the latest one & I have S119 at present) but if I flash the updated custom rom then my mobile needs to be customised again for my usage (such as phonebook, sms, notes, various other apps intallation, adding of accounts etc etc ) which is a time consuming process. Can I back up my present android with its apps and other settings and restore it with one click after upgrading my custom rom?

(c) I have managed to get the OTA update file downloaded on my PC from the internet, but when I try to flash it with TWRP, it fails with a message "md5 check failed". Can I do something about it or just leave it and move on.

A) Install terminal emulator or use ADB, and then issue this command
"dump_image recovery /sdcard/TWRP_recovery.img"

B) Use titanium backup pro, that will serve ur purpose

C) As i explained earlier company's stock ROM cant be flashed in custom recovery n vice versa