Fallout 3

gameranand

Living to Play
But I managed to save 100 caps with that . Caps are scarce at start , I don't want to steal thats why.

100 caps....haha....LOL. Caps are useless really in most of the RPG games including this one as well. I had like 100K caps but nothing to buy in this game.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

Fallout3 Nexus - mods and community

Take your pick.

say..

the Ambient Wasteland 2 and Fallout 3 - HD Audio Overhaul. these serve the same purpose, right, the ambient music overhauling...?

I already applied the Fallout 3 - HD Audio Overhaul last week. so the Ambient Wasteland 2 is not required now, right?

also, the GNR Enhanced will work independent of these two ^?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, is anyone using this: Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch *www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19122/?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
In the late game, you will have the best weapons and armor. There is literally nothing else that you will need to buy. So in the late game, you will not have any need for caps at all.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, is anyone using this: Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch *www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19122/?

You should always use Unofficial patches. They have a lot of bugfixes that BethSoft was too lazy to address. They even fix some broken quests.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
okay i have a few Gbs of mods. mostly Texture, audio. and some other patches. will apply them one by one.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
okay i have a few Gbs of mods. mostly Texture, audio. and some other patches. will apply them one by one.

Better use Nexus Mod Manager if you don't want to break your game by accident.

- - - Updated - - -

But Mod Organizer is even better. It does not add any extra files to the Fallout 3 data directory, thus not risking breaking anything. Only downside is that you have to run the game from within Mod Organizer everytime.

gameranand

Living to Play
Better use Nexus Mod Manager if you don't want to break your game by accident.

- - - Updated - - -

But Mod Organizer is even better. It does not add any extra files to the Fallout 3 data directory, thus not risking breaking anything. Only downside is that you have to run the game from within Mod Organizer everytime.

From what I know about modding, MO is better than NMM.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Mod Organiser?? I was using FOMM.. and i just fire up the game from within FOMM everytime.

and so far, the majority of the mods i have used are NMC's texture, HD audio overhaul, GNR Radio; and each of them REQUIRES to have files to be put inside /Data folder. and GNR has an .esp file too IIRC.

Apart from that, im using CASM[Auto save], fellout + brighter nights. those are pretty light and have only a few files.

So how will MO help me?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Mod Organizer does not add the mod files to the /data/ directory at all. It adds the files at runtime when you launch it from within Mod Organizer.

When you are done with the game, the data directory remains clean.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is more info: Mod Organizer at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

Its on the Skyrim Nexus, but it supports Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout NV as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Features from the above link:

MO has several unique features not found in any other comparable tool:

-Mods are kept completely isolated from each other -> no more messy data directory (1)
-Profiles (2)
-Drag&Drop load order AND installation order management
-full control over the priority of BSA files (3)
-Nexus integration for easy download, installation and update of mods
-GUI support for manual installers
-partial compatibility with BAIN and fomod installers
-Savegame viewer
-active required mods from save game
-Archive Invalidation
-Categorize mods for better overview (customizable)
-easy overview of file conflicts
-complete help system
-Supports Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Skyrim
-no dependencies. Just unpack and go
-localization (currently: german, spanish, french and chinese)
-automatic self-updates
-BSA unpacking

gameranand

Living to Play
^^Thats a good approach. I assume it takes some time to load game ?

Not much really. Performance drop is not noticeable if not using too many mods. However if you start game with 50+ mods of large size then it will take some time.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^^Thats a good approach. I assume it takes some time to load game ?

As gameranand says, its takes next to no time.

It shows the game a virtual folder [strike](not sure how this is implemented)[/strike] with all the mods and data files and the game runs normally.

From the below link:

Mod Organizer takes a very different and revolutionary approach. It never writes files to the game data directory, but instead creates and uses a virtual filing system (VFS). It is called virtual because it does NOT exist on the regular file system and only exists when MO tells a program it exists. When the game is started by MO, it is unaware of this VFS and thinks it uses the regular Windows file system. Therefore, all installed mods are loaded and used normally. The same is true for any other program started by MO (e.g., BOSS, Boss Userlist Manager (BUM), WB, etc.).

The VFS is constructed using a technique called hooking. Hooking is not an uncommon technique and progams like SKSE, ENB, SweetFX and ENBBoost use it. In the case of MO, hooking involves intercepting the Windows system calls and injects its VFS into the file system. In other words, it 'hooks' itself into the regular Windows filing system and changes it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a more detailed article for the same: Guide:Mod Organizer - S.T.E.P. Project Wiki

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
As gameranand says, its takes next to no time.

It shows the game a virtual folder [strike](not sure how this is implemented)[/strike] with all the mods and data files and the game runs normally.

From the below link:

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a more detailed article for the same: Guide:Mod Organizer - S.T.E.P. Project Wiki

That sounds cool. I wonder if they can just create symlinks and just do a rollback. But I guess hooks provide more low level access and latitude to tinker with.

Top Bottom